Component Selection

Reaction score
Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It might be a good idea to edit the thread to include the product names alongside the links, otherwise every reader has to open up 7 new windows :)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
PSU isn'tgreat i ha t, noishan mos others, get a Coolermaster.

I would probably get a cheap HD4850 as well cause they are better value for money,

Either that or either of the 9800TX+ on the Superspecials, cheap as chips.

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Graphics+Cards/

You can get 4GB off RAM for £40 so don't pay £34 for 2.

Attachments

• Capture45.JPG
    Capture45.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 80

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In my experience OCZ PSU's are every bit as good, if not better, than their Coolermaster equivalent.

Personally though I'd go with a Corsair PSU.

Patriot RAM fails more than Corsair. And the original Corsair memory selected has better timings (C5 against C4) than the Patriot memory.

Good price on the 9800 though but there is postage cost to consider if parts are ordered from several suppliers, plus delivery times.

PS/Edit: The original grafix card listed is made by EVGA, a much better make than an Aria generic. I'd probably pay the extra for a better make of card.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
YEah but its a 9800GTX+ versus a 9800GT, Aria generic is usually Palit, CAS 4 is better than CAS 5.

The Coolermasters are quiet, that OCZ is proper noisy i got it on the Aria Specials in May i think, too noisy for me.

Yeah the orsairs are good and quiet.

Think my keyboard is nakkered.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
YEah but its a 9800GTX+ versus a 9800GT, Aria generic is usually Palit,

Ah, I missed that :blush: In which case, yep, good deal.

CAS 4 is better than CAS 5.

Well I'm confused now, I have 4Gb of Corsair C4 and it holds my system back on overclocking (see sig) best I could push my 6600 dualie to was just under 2.6Ghz.

I have 2Gb of C5 Corsair memory in another sytem where I achieved much better OC results :confused:

And the C5 cost quite a bit more than the C4, the memory sticks are alike in all other respects.

The Coolermasters are quiet, that OCZ is proper noisy i got it on the Aria Specials in May i think, too noisy for me.

Yeah the orsairs are good and quiet.

I've never actually used an OCZ PSU, I'm basing my statement on what I've read at lots of different places so I'll take your word for it.

Think my keyboard is nakkered.

It looks that way don't it? Bad news :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PS: The Corsair C5 memory I referred to is the Dominator type, the 4 x 1Gb stcks of C4 Corsair are the medium range type.

I'm going to have to do my homework on memory, I'm obviously a little confused :blush:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah with the memory it depends on loads of little different things, like obviously the speed, the timings, how many volts are going through it, who manufactered the chips (hynix, samsung).

I generally just stick to whats the best price for timings, as most reviews i've read say tighter timings over speed.

I think with OCZ its the Elite range which are the ones peiople are raving about as they are really PC Power & Cooling ones as they bought em out.

I May needd to change batteries or sit littlee closer to TV.

Reaction score
Ok thanks guys, got a lot of stuff to look at now. I think I'll go with a Corsair PSU as they are very good. I will also look at the Aria net GFX card that WF linked to.

Also is it the Higher the CAS the better the memory performs?

WF, what keyboard are you using out of intrest?

Cheers,

Wiz

Ask a Question