all-in-one with best photo quality

judah.galinsky

Hi

i'm trying to decide between these various all-in one-printers:

canon pixma mp 830, canon pixma mx 700, canon pixma mx 850

and HP Photosmart C7280 and the HP OfficeJet L7780

please advise which is the best all around printer and most imp. which
has best photo quality

thanks

Dr.J

measekite

Hi

i'm trying to decide between these various all-in one-printers:

canon pixma mp 830, canon pixma mx 700, canon pixma mx 850

and HP Photosmart C7280 and the HP OfficeJet L7780

please advise which is the best all around printer and most imp. which
has best photo quality

thanks
First I would not recommend an All In One aka Multifunction Device unless:

Space is absolutely critical

You need an ADF (Automatic Document Feeder) and they are an expensive
add on to a stand alone scanner.

Here are the reasons why:

Canon makes the best standard format printers

Epson makes the best scanners

It is nice to have the best of breed

On an MFD if one of the functions goes bad then the other is basically
worthless

And sometimes the print engine in a MFD in some cases may be a
generation old.

That said I would recommend a Canon IP4500 or its replacement if there
is one.

I would then do some research and get a midrange Epson scanner.

measekite

DanG wrote:

Hi i'm trying to decide between these various all-in one-printers: canon pixma mp 830, canon pixma mx 700, canon pixma mx 850 and HP Photosmart C7280 and the HP OfficeJet L7780 please advise which is the best all around printer and most imp. which has best photo quality thanks Dr.J

I wouldn't touch the HP models. If print quality is your #1 interest, the MX700 should be ruled out due to it having a lesser quality print engine. The MP830 is discontinued, but does have a decent print engine, though not quite up to the current model for speed and quality. The MP610 and MX850 have the same newer 4-color print engine. The MP970 has the top of the line print engine with a 6-color system.

In most of the cases the photo quality result will not be any better using a 6 color print engine but will be more expensive.  When the photo displays certain specific shades of various color it is at that time you will see some differences.  See my other post on why the IP4500 would be the best choice with a separate Epson scanner.

People tend to vary on whether they prefer the 4-color or 6-color printer, it mostly boils down to personal preference and of course cost. Either is capable of stunning prints. The MP610 is a terrific value if print quality is the only consideration.

DevilsPGD

In message <[email protected]> "DanG"
I wouldn't touch the HP models. If print quality is your #1 interest, the
MX700 should be ruled out due to it having a lesser quality print engine.
The MP830 is discontinued, but does have a decent print engine, though not
quite up to the current model for speed and quality. The MP610 and MX850
have the same newer 4-color print engine. The MP970 has the top of the line
print engine with a 6-color system.

I've got an MP830 as it was the cheapest duplexing ADF scanner available
in my market, I didn't initially plan on using the printer or fax
capabilities at all as I don't generally print photos, and already have
a colour laser for most of our printing needs. I do occasionally make
copies, but due to the ink vs toner costs, my intention was not to do
much copying either.

That being said, I'm not one to have a toy and not play with it, and for
low volume photo work, my layperson's evaluation is that it's been
absolutely fantastic.

Even better, it has x86 and x64 drivers, the printer shares over the
network automatically (unlike HP, which goes out of their way to make
their lower end printers *not* share)

My only complaint about the MP830 is that it's a bit of an ink guzzler.
However, you can see the ink in the tanks, so you know that when the
printer claims you're out, you really are out and it's not pulling a
Lexmark and deciding that for revenue generation reasons your ink should
be replaced.

theory4debate

Hi

i'm  trying to decide  between these various all-in one-printers:

canon pixma mp 830, canon pixma mx 700, canon pixma mx 850

and HP Photosmart C7280  and the HP OfficeJet L7780

please advise which is the best all around printer and most imp. which
has best photo quality

thanks

Dr.J

Get the canon mp830 if you plan to use after market ink. Get the
Canon mp970, if you plan to use OEM ink.. With my experience, the
after market 7 ink tank printer are terrible for after market ink.
However, the 5 ink tank printers can print close to OEM quality
prints. If you plan to use after market ink, you will need to get a
cartrdige resetter.

I actually purchased 2 Canon mp830 off craigslist for $75.00 each. If
you check craigslist, people will normally advertise the Canon mp830
for about $100 to $150.00. However, the market for used printers is
really poor. Barely anybody buys used printers, when new ones can be
bought for $40.00 these days. Therefore, negotiating a price of
$75.00 is realistic.

Check Canon store outlet also if you don't want to buy used. They had
refurshied ones for cheap at times.

DevilsPGD

In message
<48d2c128-3c18-4f1d-8932-a86e7924c503@b30g2000prf.googlegroups.com>
I actually purchased 2 Canon mp830 off craigslist for $75.00 each. If
you check craigslist, people will normally advertise the Canon mp830
for about $100 to $150.00. However, the market for used printers is
really poor. Barely anybody buys used printers, when new ones can be
bought for $40.00 these days.

So true. Lasers have good resale, but you literally can't give away
inkjets some days, even with $30-$70 of new sealed ink.

Hendo

Hi

The HP Photosmart C7280 would be the best choise out of the bunch.
This printer uses Vivera inks which is proven to provide longer
lasting photos than Canon inks. The print quality is comparable and
subject to opinion. The overall quality of HP printers are better than
Canon. If photo quality is the most important thing than buy an Epson
printer and scanner. Epson printers and scanners are used by more
pro's than any other printer.