Air raid sirens

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Was having a chat with my mate this morning and was telling him I was either very piddled last night or maybe I am loosing my marbles.
He agreed with both, but asked why I thought I was loosing said marbles. I went on to tell him I was sure I heard air raid sirens last night. He thankfully reassured me I wasn't in fact going barmy as he had heard them as well.

Just did a little bit of snooping and found out why I had heard such sirens. Here's the link

http://www.tntmagazine.com/news/lon...se-fire-sets-off-world-war-ii-air-raid-sirens

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Stukas over Deptford! :eek:

Doodlebugs rain on Peckham!

Donner und blitzen Herr Kommandant, der Englischer Tommy vill die!

I slept through it all :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
aacsZ3oO.jpg

Don't panic Dad's Army is on the job
Smiley-IPB-400.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Fire station manager Laurie Kenny of Silvertown station in Woolwich told the Evening Standard: "The purpose of the air raid siren is that it says things are going on at the site. It is a precautionary siren because there was a possibility this would go wider than that area."
It certainly says "things are going on..." but how, I wonder, were folk supposed to know whether it was an alert about a chemical/smoke hazard, or an attack of some kind?

The sirens certainly sounded quite creepy... it must have been horrible to hear that lot during WWII. :nod:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
It certainly says "things are going on..." but how, I wonder, were folk supposed to know whether it was an alert about a chemical/smoke hazard, or an attack of some kind?

The sirens certainly sounded quite creepy... it must have been horrible to hear that lot during WWII. :nod:

Especially night after night and after you had read the papers telling you that out boys were getting their butts kicked.
breakfast.gif

Ask a Question