AGP or PCI graphics card?

Reaction score
Hi, further to noisy graphics card fan thread, have looked and cant find replacement fan, so need a new card before old one dies. Not after anything fancy as not a gamer want to spend under 50 quid, want one with DVI for future monitor options. But, cant tell whether its AGP card or PCI, how can I tell? Is it obvious by looking at arrangement of board contacts? Any recommendations around my price range?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
AGP = Brown slot

PSI = White slot

ISA = Black slot

Little brown slot = crap

;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
PotGuy said:
what is the little brown slot? :/
ARM Crap!

OEMs like Comcrap, crapard hell and such used them for modems & sound cards ... :rolleyes:

;)

Reaction score
Yeah you knw he does u silly billy ;)

Just like he meant 'PCI'

Mucks told you to lay off the 92 proof whiskey ;)

How the hell you manage to get hold of any? :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm getting quite dyslexic these days. :blush:

Still ... glad you lot are here. :thumb:

:p

muckshifter

Reaction score
WindyMiller said:
What is better AGP or PCI-E?
AGP is being phased out in favour of PCI-E ... how long before you won't see any new AGP card is aready hapening.

:)

Reaction score
Have had a look on overclockers for nvidia based cards (seemed sensible as original one is nvidia?). For the sub 50 quid mark and incorporating DVI socket, options are:

XFX GeForce 6200 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - £37

XFX GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - £31

Which is the better chipset? I'm guessing the top one based on the highly technical basis of it costing more and having a higher model number…

Since either of these will be replacing a Geforce Ti4200 could I expect noticeable performance gains? From looking at the pictures both seem to have large heat sinks rather than fans so at least that’s one less fan noise - is that right or am I misinterpreting what I'm seeing?

muckshifter

Reaction score
ngalbrai said:
Have had a look on overclockers for nvidia based cards (seemed sensible as original one is nvidia?). For the sub 50 quid mark and incorporating DVI socket, options are:

XFX GeForce 6200 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - £37

XFX GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - £31

Which is the better chipset? I'm guessing the top one based on the highly technical basis of it costing more and having a higher model number…
Yep, the 6200 is the new "entry level" replacing the 5200. ;)

Since either of these will be replacing a Geforce Ti4200 could I expect noticeable performance gains? From looking at the pictures both seem to have large heat sinks rather than fans so at least that’s one less fan noise - is that right or am I misinterpreting what I'm seeing?
Technically you should "see" a difference ... depends on what you do with it ... them Ti's were a card to relish ... yep, one less fan to worry about. :thumb:

Reaction score
But is this not just a faze the industry is going through, first it was ISA, PCI, AGP now PCI-E. What will be the best way for Graphics next?

Reaction score
They will implant chips in your brain and use your brain to render everything.

but it will be run on windows. and crash. and so you will die.

Ask a Question