Advertising in Games?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have just read this article at the BBC and it made me think. I suppose it is a logical evolution for games to have advertising in them, but uhhh... what a pain!

I haven't yet seen any massive advertising in Games (unlike some cinema releases), but they are starting to have trailer-esq adverts for NVidia and other companies which must be displayed before you play a game.

Has there been any major advertising in a game so far?

Kye

Reaction score
as long as its when im installing, or when i start the game.

IF i have too watch it everytime i start the game, then i'll start a riot.

if its a very good tech demo thingy of new hardware then i can live with that for a month or two.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Lemme see, in XIII, I think it always opens with ads for Nvidia & Alienware, really cheeses me off cos you can't bypass them :mad:

And I think the latest CoD expansion pack, Allied Offensive, opens with an Nvidia Ad, I'll have to check. And Nvidia at the start of UT2004.

Odd how Nvidia feel the need to advertise and ATI don't ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, I get lots of NVidia ads on most of the new games I have. They must pay a fortune to advertise there! Doesn't make the game any cheaper though :(

Kye

Reaction score
ATI simply dont know how too advertise. if they do, they would be the masters of advertising, and the whole media of the world will be there puppets.

i just wont want adverts about fast food or trainers. then people complaining about games because its making them hungry and eating fast food making them fat.

i honestly dont really mind if its hardware related, or game related.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I've mainly found advertising in console games, Burnout 3 has 20 foot billboards/Advertisment signs on the side of the roads with other games from the EA roster, like Tiger Wood 2005.

I dont really see any harm, because the game makers will be making more money, which in turn should help them make better games ;).

It only ****es me off when you can skip the ads at the start of games!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Personally i dont mind the ads as long as i can pass them or something, But when i comes to watching the ads over and over everytime i start the game then i start to get annoyed.

Kye

Reaction score
I've mainly found advertising in console games, Burnout 3 has 20 foot billboards/Advertisment signs on the side of the roads with other games from the EA roster, like Tiger Wood 2005.

i think thats realism! as long as its not right-in-your-face. otherwise advertisment on game which you would see in real life is good :D

Reaction score
When you're paying £35 for a peice of plastic that costs a couple of pence to produce, there really isn't an excuse.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Matt Jason H said:
When you're paying £35 for a peice of plastic that costs a couple of pence to produce, there really isn't an excuse.
Your just thinking of the disc there :rolleyes: . It takes hundreds of man hours to make games, and how do you think they get paid!?!?!?!?! Thats right, by charging £20-£40 a game ;). I'm just pleased that theres sites like Play to knock off at least 25% from the regulaur store price.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Matt Jason H said:
By the same token, so does a movie on DVD or an audio album.

It's not the cost of the media that carries a game, but the cost of making it. Again, same with movies, how much did it cost to make, say, The Matrix?

I guess that some games may well have a similar development budget as that of some movies.

So really, that perspective just doesn't wash.

Reaction score
True, but, due to the low price of the media, we are lead to belive that the relativley high price of the product is set to compensate for the production of the data on that media.

Ask a Question