Address with brackets on Reply-- Why?

G

Outlook XP sp 2
Auto Name Checking and Auto Completion Activated
Exchange 5.5 with a SPAM filter

Occassionally, emails arrive in my Inbox with a display name and an email address in brackets, i.e.- DisplayName [mailto: (e-mail address removed)]. More often than not, these e-mail accounts are generic in nature-- i.e. to a marketing department, nonetheless, they are with legitimate sources.

When I hit Reply, the entire From field populates the To field, i.e.- DisplayName [mailto: (e-mail address removed)]. The entire To field is underlined as if the email is going out correctly. However, if I copy/paste the TO field, only the display name pastes. It's as if Outlook is disregarding the brackets around the e-mail address and is only looking at the name.

If the DisplayName is not in Contacts or GAL the message is sent in single quotes-- To: 'DisplayName'. (You know this by looking at Sent items after the fact.) It's been my experience that these messages do not arrive at the intended destination; however, an error message is not sent back. My questions are as follows, of course an enlightenment would be appreciated:

1. Why does Outlook populate the To field with all of the contents of the From field? Why not just the display name or the e-mail address?
2. Why does the To address appear valid with a black underline if the display name is not found in Contacts, GAL or cache?
3. Why is Outlook placing single quotes around the name in the To field when looking at a sent email?
4. Why wouldn't there be an error report generated back if the name is not resolved before it leaves our exchange?

Ask a Question