Adaware

Bill Watt

A relative has a Dell PC running XP. They have an ad that pops up
when they try to go online.

I have downloaded Free Adaware. But you need to pay for the
registration that will enable you to get rid of the problem.

Is there a similar free program that does it all without charge ?

Seems Adaware used to be entirely free.

I go over there tomorrow and thought I was ok with this but then
decided to install it to make sure it works.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Win98 Computer Help & Other Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Paul

Bill said:
A relative has a Dell PC running XP. They have an ad that pops up
when they try to go online.

I have downloaded Free Adaware. But you need to pay for the
registration that will enable you to get rid of the problem.

Is there a similar free program that does it all without charge ?

Seems Adaware used to be entirely free.

I go over there tomorrow and thought I was ok with this but then
decided to install it to make sure it works.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Win98 Computer Help & Other Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Where did you download it from ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaware

When I downloaded the "free" version, I got

Ad-AwareAE.exe 37,452,296 bytes
MD5sum = 6bea12e8024eff1bba7f8bf40293d7ea

I installed it in my "throw away environment", a copy of
Win2K in a VirtualPC session. It installed, then an
Updater thing ran, which downloaded more stuff. Then
the OS did a reboot, my Win2K started again, and a
Ad-Aware window appeared. When I checked the License,
it said the "Free" version was installed. So it
appeared to be registered.

I don't know if that matches your experience or not.
Could it be you had some other version of Ad-Aware
on the system, and some license key in the registry
has the software confused over what version is
supposed to run ?

Paul

Leythos

Use my Remove-it software, it will remove that malware from your system.
Choose yes for all options when prompted. Download it here
http://www.ms-mvp.org/

your time.

Jose

A relative has a Dell PC running XP. They have an ad that pops up
when they try to go online.

I have downloaded Free Adaware. But you need to pay for the
registration that will enable you to get rid of the problem.

Is there a similar free program that does it all without charge ?

Seems Adaware used to be entirely free.

I go over there tomorrow and thought I was ok with this but then
decided to install it to make sure it works.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Win98 Computer Help & Other Information  http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

If "online" means using a web browser like Internet Explorer to visit
web pages and "ads the pop up" means advertisements from places that
you don't care to know about or see...

Internet Explorer (the default Windows browser) has a built in pop up
blocker that will prevent some ads. This is under Tools, Pop-up
Blocker. It is either on or off. It does a fair job.

To get arguably the best ad free browsing experience, consider the
Firefox browser. It also blocks ads and lets you manually block (and
add to your list) ones that slip through.

Firefox also has an "add-on" called Adblock, that does a very good job
and gets updated regularly. All this is free and has a good
reputation and loyal following.

You can have both IE and Firefox installed and take your pick.

I have not seen a pop-up ad in a long time.

Don't confuse this with malicious software scanning tools. Free
scanning software is available and certain feature are disabled, so
you just update and run them manually at your leisure.

Here are some good free malware tools:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these three free
malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/
AVG (AVG): http://free.avg.com/

Sometimes when you see an ad, you can right click it and choose to
block it manually

Leythos

From: "Leythos" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: Adaware
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 07:32:23 -0700

The headers from the Usenet posts prove that the message was not posted
by myself, Leythos. The Usenet troll/unethical hack, PCBUTTS is posting
impersonating myself, proving all the bad things that this group has
posted about him and proving just how unethical he is.

You should avoid following any advice from impersonation based posts.

Complaint filed with (e-mail address removed), (e-mail address removed)

Bill Watt

I've downloaded Free Adaware and tested it on my XP notebook. It
looks good. I also installed Free AVG and tested it . It looks good
also.

I'm supposed to get over there tomorrow, I'll post the result.

Thanks to all.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Win98 Computer Help & Other Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Bill Watt

A relative has a Dell PC running XP. They have an ad that pops up
when they try to go online.

I have downloaded Free Adaware. But you need to pay for the
registration that will enable you to get rid of the problem.

Is there a similar free program that does it all without charge ?

Seems Adaware used to be entirely free.

I go over there tomorrow and thought I was ok with this but then
decided to install it to make sure it works.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Regards,

Bill Watt

Seems they haven't had any pop ups lately. The problem is the
machine freezes right after it boots up to Normal Mode. OK in Safe
Mode. However it will boot to Normal Mode if you wait about 5-10
minutes before doing anything. Got it into Normal Mode that way then
installed and ran AVG. Found 16 infections, mostly Win32 type and it
removed or cleaned 12 of them. The other 4 were not cleaned but the
machine froze and I could not do anything with them.

In Normal Mode if you try to bring up IE, it freezes.
They clean history, cookies and temp files regularly, but the scan
took over 30 min. and last I looked it was up to 666,000 files.
That's 3 zeros. They are involved with a lot of pictures but not
that many.

More to do tomorrow, the fan got very loud so I'll see about heat.
I'll try to install Adaware and run it, that may help.

Thanks again everyone, I'll post after my next attempt.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Win98 Computer Help & Other Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Seems they haven't had any pop ups lately. The problem is the
machine freezes right after it boots up to Normal Mode. OK in Safe
Mode. However it will boot to Normal Mode if you wait about 5-10
minutes before doing anything. Got it into Normal Mode that way then
installed and ran AVG. Found 16 infections, mostly Win32 type and it
removed or cleaned 12 of them. The other 4 were not cleaned but the
machine froze and I could not do anything with them.

In Normal Mode if you try to bring up IE, it freezes.
They clean history, cookies and temp files regularly, but the scan
took over 30 min. and last I looked it was up to 666,000 files.
That's 3 zeros. They are involved with a lot of pictures but not
that many.

More to do tomorrow, the fan got very loud so I'll see about heat.
I'll try to install Adaware and run it, that may help.
...then installed and ran AVG.

Was there no anti-virus application installed before you installed AVG,
Bill?

Bill Watt

Was there no anti-virus application installed before you installed AVG,
Bill?

Yes, One that came with XP (not E-trust) and Penecyllne (?) This
happened recently, they believe the trouble started when they
downloaded a song. They haven't been able to do much since.

Not sure yet but I think what takes so long to load in Normal Mode
is the Sys Tray, Quick Launch and the Start Button.

I didn't get there today but hopefully tomorrow I will. I'll run AVG
again and run Adaware. I'll post more info after that. Seems like an
awful lot of files on the one drive they have. I'll search the drive
for tmp and music files. I also have a set of 5 floppies, Rescue
Disks, from AVG that I'll try.

Bill Watt
Win98 Computer Help & Other Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

Bill Watt

Yes, One that came with XP (not E-trust) and Penecyllne (?) This
happened recently, they believe the trouble started when they
downloaded a song. They haven't been able to do much since.

Not sure yet but I think what takes so long to load in Normal Mode
is the Sys Tray, Quick Launch and the Start Button.

I didn't get there today but hopefully tomorrow I will. I'll run AVG
again and run Adaware. I'll post more info after that. Seems like an
awful lot of files on the one drive they have. I'll search the drive
for tmp and music files. I also have a set of 5 floppies, Rescue
Disks, from AVG that I'll try.

Bill Watt
Win98 Computer Help & Other Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

More info,

Ran virus scans from Safe Mode, several were removed. Adaware found
one it said was serious. Still froze. I then used Msconfig and ran a
clean boot and no freezes. So I disabled startups by groups and then
got down to 3 that I left disabled, didn't recognize any of the 3
files. Now freezes are gone and they can use the machine.

I searched the drive for tmp and music files and found only a few
tmp files and 4200 pictures. AVG searched a total of 98,000 files so
I don't know where the 666,000 came from. that I reported before.

However, it seems Google search has been hijacked and it goes to an
advertising site. This is what they thought was a pop up. This
appears to be the only remaining problem. I'll try Hijack This next.
Anyone know the site I should download it from? I'll bookmark Yahoo
for them and have them try that search.

Thanks again for all the good suggestions.

From: "Leythos" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 20:11:15 -0700

Abuse complaint filed with (e-mail address removed), headers included.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

YW. Please note that each Malware Removal forum has there own set of
Preliminaries you must complete before posting any logs. Many of them do
not want a HJT log in your first post (e.g.,
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=4075).

Also note that interpreting a HJT log or any other logs should only be done
by an experienced expert in such matters, and that a HJT log does NOT tell
us everything we need to know before starting the cleanup process.