ActiveSync with Emulator

Shaun Wilde

You may have to use a null modem cable to connect the emulator and
activesync together via 2 COM (serial) ports on the back of your
machine. However I haven't got this to work but I have to use a USB to
serial convertor as I only have 1 COM port on the back, to give me an
extra COM port - why it can't do this internally is annoying.

Ginny Caughey [MVP]

Shaun,

Making testing with ActiveSync and the emulator easy is a frequent request. i'd
like it too.

jose baldner [Msft]

Actually you have to use one of the 2 ways:

1) Using a serial-to-USB dongle -
http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/resellers/0-11177-311-6036934-0.html lists
several vendors. Since you don't have any serial ports, you'd need two
dongles plus a NULL-modem cable between them.

2) Using a Virtual Serial Port driver. There are only a few vendors who
sell such a product. It is a single device driver for Windows that creates
a pair of virtual COM ports that appear to have a NULL-modem cable joining
them together. ie. it creates COM1 and COM2, and writes to COM1 appear on
the COM2 port. http://www.virtualserialport.com/products/vspdxp/ is one
such product, and it has a 14-day free trial edition. This has the
advantage of not requiring any cables but is more expensive than the
serial-to-USB dongle and cable.

Also, if your laptop has a spare PCMCIA slot, you can purchase a PCMCIA
card with multiple serial ports -
http://www.technical-computing.com/PCMCIA_serial_solutions.htm has some
photos of cards. Again, you'd use a NULL-modem cable to connect the two
serial ports together.

Microsoft is soon releasing a set of (unsupported) device tools to the web.
One of the tools can establish ActiveSync connections with PPC2003 over tcp
(no serial cable or port required), it did not for PPC2002.

Thanks,
Jose Baldner [MS]

| From: "Ginny Caughey [MVP]" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: ActiveSync with Emulator
| Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:37:17 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Shaun,
|
| Making testing with ActiveSync and the emulator easy is a frequent
request. i'd
| like it too.
| --
| Ginny Caughey
| Windows Embedded MVP
|
| | > You may have to use a null modem cable to connect the emulator and
| > activesync together via 2 COM (serial) ports on the back of your
| > machine. However I haven't got this to work but I have to use a USB to
| > serial convertor as I only have 1 COM port on the back, to give me an
| > extra COM port - why it can't do this internally is annoying.

| > > Activesync?
| > >
| > > This page indicates it's possible with ActiveSync 3.7

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/guide_ppc/h
tm/intro_to_the_ce_emulator_zjht.asp

| > > I installed activesync 3.7 and launched the emulator manually, but
I'm not