Connect Emulator Using ActiveSync PowerToy Failure

Page Brooks

I was trying to get the Pocket PC 2003 emulator to connect with
ActiveSync 3.7 using the new Windows Mobile VS.NET Addin. When I select
Pocket PC 2003 Emulator and click Connect, I get a confirmation sound
with ActiveSync and ActiveSync says it's connected, but I get an error
message saying "Critical communications services have failed to start.
Try resetting the mobile device, and then connect again." I tried this
to no avail. I also uninstalled ActiveSync 3.7 and the addin and
reinstalled and the same behavior occurs. Has anyone run into this
problem yet? If so, are there any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Paul

Not that it would point you to a solution, but you get that error with
real devices too. We've never found what causes it, but tends to go
away on its own accord. I would personally say it is the god awful
ActiveSync that is the root of the problem.

Page Brooks

I agree. :(
Not that it would point you to a solution, but you get that error with
real devices too. We've never found what causes it, but tends to go
away on its own accord. I would personally say it is the god awful
ActiveSync that is the root of the problem.

Alex Feinman [MVP]

It's funny, but up until few minutes ago I've never had this problem and now
all of a sudden I do.... :(

Page Brooks

It's odd that the Emulator that comes with EVC 4.0 has a different
version number than that of the Emulator for Pocket PC 2003 that comes
with the Pocket PC 2003 SDK. I saw in some microsoft presentation that
the code is about 99% the same but there ARE differences. Maybe this is
causing the problem, however, I can't seem to get the Power Toy to
launch the newer Emulator.

Thanks,
Page Brooks
www.explosivedog.com

Ximing Zhou [MSFT]

Page,

Can the "newer" Emulator be started by VS.NET 2003 on your machine?

Ximing