[ACF] Question for the group.

Susan Bugher

Whew! I just uploaded a new set of ACF pages - the ware descriptions are
done for *almost* all of the apps (at long last) :) and some dead wood
was removed in the process. Progress is being made. . .

ISTM it might be helpful to split the "authors" column on the program
index page into company and author columns (some companies have more
than one author, some authors have more than one company). My thought is
to do that ONLY on the index page - the other pages are already pretty
wide. This is the page I'd like to revise:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ProgramIndex.php

Good idea? Bad idea? Better ideas?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

pringle

Susan said:
Whew! I just uploaded a new set of ACF pages - the ware descriptions are
done for *almost* all of the apps (at long last) :) and some dead wood
was removed in the process. Progress is being made. . .

ISTM it might be helpful to split the "authors" column on the program
index page into company and author columns (some companies have more
than one author, some authors have more than one company). My thought is
to do that ONLY on the index page - the other pages are already pretty
wide. This is the page I'd like to revise:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ProgramIndex.php

Good idea? Bad idea? Better ideas?

Susan

That's a mighty long table.

Vegard Krog Petersen

Whew! I just uploaded a new set of ACF pages - the ware descriptions are
done for *almost* all of the apps (at long last) :) and some dead wood
was removed in the process. Progress is being made. . .

ISTM it might be helpful to split the "authors" column on the program
index page into company and author columns (some companies have more
than one author, some authors have more than one company). My thought is
to do that ONLY on the index page - the other pages are already pretty
wide. This is the page I'd like to revise:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ProgramIndex.php

Good idea? Bad idea? Better ideas?

Susan

You're the boss ;-)
If you feel you have the time: do it.

Keep up the good work, Susan. Most of us here are grateful for your time
and efforts! :) :) :)

regards from

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Susan Bugher

Vegard said:
on 29.05.2006 03:08 Susan Bugher wrote:
You're the boss ;-)
If you feel you have the time: do it.

It shouldn't take very long. :) The *data* is already split (I'll need
to rewrite some formulas). IMO the column sorts will be more useful if
the data is split. So far it doesn't look as if anyone cares much which
way the info is presented. . .
Keep up the good work, Susan. Most of us here are grateful for your time
and efforts! :) :) :)

:)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

meow2222

Susan said:
Whew! I just uploaded a new set of ACF pages - the ware descriptions are
done for *almost* all of the apps (at long last) :) and some dead wood
was removed in the process. Progress is being made. . .

ISTM it might be helpful to split the "authors" column on the program
index page into company and author columns (some companies have more
than one author, some authors have more than one company). My thought is
to do that ONLY on the index page - the other pages are already pretty
wide. This is the page I'd like to revise:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ProgramIndex.php

Good idea? Bad idea? Better ideas?

Susan

Its a huge site with a ton of resources. From my perspective, what I'd
like to see is more info in the main tables, in extra columns, info
geared towards making choices.

Do you want more info on Kerio and Zonealarm for your reviews? I ask as
there are significant points about each I dont see mentioned there.

NT

Susan Bugher

Susan Bugher wrote:
Its a huge site with a ton of resources. From my perspective, what I'd
like to see is more info in the main tables, in extra columns, info
geared towards making choices.

Think of the ACF program pages as our *community* bookmark file - not
review pages. . .

The ACF pages aim to furnish a SMALL amount of useful information about
a LOT of free programs - including some information that is not easy to
find on other web sites: the last freeware version, detailed ware
descriptions (free for who? etc.), no-install info etc.
Do you want more info on Kerio and Zonealarm for your reviews? I ask as
there are significant points about each I dont see mentioned there.

The notes links are for additional descriptive information - notes can
contain any information you think would be helpful. You create them
yourself in the wiki (after signing in). Note: all programs have notes
*links* on the ACF pages, most don't have a wiki page as yet.

Kerio's notes link is:
http://acfwiki.pbwiki.com/index.php?wiki=0409-PW

Zonealarm's notes link is:
http://acfwiki.pbwiki.com/index.php?wiki=0893-PW

Sign into the wiki with the password (found at the bottom of the daily
info post), open a link and have at it. :)

By existing reviews I'm guessing you mean the ones on this page:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_programs.php

Those are Pricelessware nomination descriptions. Before a program can be
nominated for the 2007 Pricelessware List someone will have to update
the current PL/ PL nomination description (or prepare a new description
if one doesn't exist). All that will happen in the fall. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

ranrad

Its a huge site with a ton of resources. From my perspective, what I'd
like to see is more info in the main tables, in extra columns, info
geared towards making choices.

Do you want more info on Kerio and Zonealarm for your reviews? I ask as
there are significant points about each I dont see mentioned there.

NT

I would have to agree with meow2222.
I go to PW to find a program to do a certain task. I don't care who the
author is, or what company markets it, or how long it's been on or off the
PW list.
Take a Firewall. I type 'Firewall' in the search and up comes a list of
Firewalls with a description of what each can do (or can't do), how hard it
is to configure it, and personal observations of the users. That way I can
make an informed choice of which is right for me.

But hey, it's your site, do what you want.

Susan Bugher

ranrad said:
On 29 May 2006 12:53:32 -0700, (e-mail address removed) wrote:
I would have to agree with meow2222.
I go to PW to find a program to do a certain task. I don't care who the
author is, or what company markets it, or how long it's been on or off the
PW list.
Take a Firewall. I type 'Firewall' in the search and up comes a list of
Firewalls with a description of what each can do (or can't do), how hard it
is to configure it, and personal observations of the users. That way I can
make an informed choice of which is right for me.
But hey, it's your site, do what you want.

Well, no. It's *our* site. I'm just chief cook and bottlewasher *ATM*. . .

Why are you telling *me* you want more content? You should be talking to
the group. More volunteers/ more voluntary effort is needed if we want
to have a *great* ACF/ Pricelessware site.

The wiki is there for personal observations about programs. IMO I did my
part when I put the wiki "notes" links on the ACF pages. IMO the
*content* of the notes is up to you and other newsgroup participants.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Susan said:
ISTM it might be helpful to split the "authors" column on the program
index page into company and author columns (some companies have more
than one author, some authors have more than one company). My thought is
to do that ONLY on the index page - the other pages are already pretty
wide. This is the page I'd like to revise:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ProgramIndex.php

Good idea? Bad idea? Better ideas?

Okay everybody. New (trial) pages are on-line. I think the program index
page looks/ sorts better. :) The change did increase the file size by
about five percent. :(

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ProgramIndex.php

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

meow2222

Susan said:
Whew! I just uploaded a new set of ACF pages - the ware descriptions are
done for *almost* all of the apps (at long last) :) and some dead wood
was removed in the process. Progress is being made. . .

ISTM it might be helpful to split the "authors" column on the program
index page into company and author columns (some companies have more
than one author, some authors have more than one company). My thought is
to do that ONLY on the index page - the other pages are already pretty
wide. This is the page I'd like to revise:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ProgramIndex.php

Good idea? Bad idea? Better ideas?

Susan

Flopppyoffice is not on your page here:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_BUSINESS-HOME.php#1002

NT

Dewey Edwards

Well, no. It's *our* site. I'm just chief cook and bottlewasher *ATM*. . .

Why are you telling *me* you want more content? You should be talking to
the group. More volunteers/ more voluntary effort is needed if we want
to have a *great* ACF/ Pricelessware site.

The wiki is there for personal observations about programs. IMO I did my
part when I put the wiki "notes" links on the ACF pages. IMO the
*content* of the notes is up to you and other newsgroup participants.

I think I brought this up recently. No, not questioning your effort,
but wondering why those "Notes" didn't for the most part work.

Your are very correct they don't work because we don't work on them.

They are *our* notes about the program. Very few people have taken
the time to add their experience about a program to the wiki.

I have, since you Susan told me that "Notes" were in the wiki, made
comments. If enough others did, this question would rarely happen.

In short people, if you don't like the "Notes", add your knowledge!

Susan Bugher

Google: Your search - Flopppyoffice - did not match any documents.
Google groups (ACF): Results 1 - 1 of 1 for Flopppyoffice
group:alt.comp.freeware "May 30, 5:03 am by (e-mail address removed)"

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Susan Bugher

Dan said:
Susan Bugher wrote:
Looks good.

I would also like to have name of the software, but that might require
making the page too wide.

Wider, longer but most of all *BIGGER*.

I would dearly love to put the URL's on the Program Index page but such
a page would take forever to load on many computers. . .

FYI the authors page does not have a line for *each* program. If several
programs have the same same combination of company, author and URL there
is ONE line for the group. Some programs aren't represented at all
(mostly SourceForge pages with project teams rather than a single author).

and. . .

The file size for the authors page is as it stands now is *almost* as
large as the Program Index page.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

ranrad

Looks good.

I would also like to have name of the software, but that might require
making the page too wide.

IMO it is too wide now, and therefore a waste of time and space.