Accessing 192.168.1.1-Linksys WRT54G router through IE6.0

ab

I have a perplexing problem that I am asking for some assistance in solving.

Hardware:

1 Linksys WRT54G router w/latest firmware-just out of the box

1 machine running 98SE w/all security patches to date

1 machine running XP Pro w/all security and service packs applied to date

Software:

IE 6.00 w/SP1 installed along with all current security patches on the XP
box. - Problem IE 5.5 on the 98SE box all patches as required by Microsoft

History:

While trying to get a problem solved with the router, Linksys tech support
had me change various security and advanced settings in the IE6.0 software.
The end result of this is that I can access the web but cannot access the
setup page for the router using the XP box. Access to the setup page from
the 98 box is no problem. Both machines access the world either wirelessly
or cabled. By cannot access I should clarify this by saying I get the
dreaded "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" "Cannot find server or DNS error"
default page.

Some more background:

I can ping the router with no problem from either machine. So far all is
good.

Now this is the curious bit. I installed the OPERA browser on the XP box to
confirm that this problem is w/in IE6.0. I can access 192.168.1.1 from Opera
w/no problem what-so-ever which led me to the conclusion that there is
something not quite right with a setting or registry entry in the IE6.0
software/setup.

The question is what could the setting be? I checked the security/advanced
settings of both machines going one against the other. Since there are
inherent differences between the levels of software, certain bits could not
be made the same, otherwise all was equalized. I do not have the
"automatically detect settings" checked under LAN connections.

Short of de-installing everything and having to reinstall it all back from
scratch, is there an easier way to debug this? Compaq in their infinite
wisdom doesn't give you the XP Pro CD even though a license for usage
exists. All I have to restore are cd's that contain the system and all
associated software that came with it, a virgin system. Any changes would
have to be reapplied manually.

Any ideas or thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

H Leboeuf

This is from a previous post by Karioka. Hope it can help.

From: "Karioka"
Sender: "Karioka"
Subject: Cannot access any ip starting with 192

To everyone that have had this problem, I finally found
the answer, please follow this link:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Win98/Q_11595778.html

--------------

Thanks Henri and others.

I ran WINIPCFG.EXE (which for anyone else reading this, create a shortcut to
this and place it in your System Tools folder in your start menu)

Indeed my wireless card had an IP address beginning with 192. I released
that card then rebooted and viola!!!!! HP.com is now accessable!

If anyone else reads the page Henri pointed me to, they may notice they can
reach some of the pages that individual reported he couldn't access,
nevertheless, the tip still works.... simply release the IP address for
your network card and reboot, this should fix it.

Many thanks again Henri,

Dave

ab

Tried the link and it doesn't work. I can access the router setup via the
Opera browser so I don't think there's an addressability problem here with
the card. Same address no matter what.
Thanks for the reply. I do appreciate it.