Access 2007 Front End for SQL 2005

How can Access 2007 be used as a Front End for an SQL 2005 Database. Access
2003 and older has the options of create new project which created an .adp
file. This Access .adp file could create a new database, change existing
data, change the design of an existing sql 2000 database. Access 2003 could
not change the design of SQL 2005 DB.

Is there a comparable feature in Access 2007 where new databases can be
added to an SQL 2005 instance, or change data and design of an existing
database in an instance of SQL 2005?

when creating a new database, click the folder icon next to the filename. it
gives you options of where to save the database, and what type of database to
create. select access project. I think it will allow you to change the design
of the database, but I haven't tried it. let me know if it works.

Larry Linson

Brakerm19 said:
How can Access 2007 be used as a Front End for an SQL 2005 Database.
Access
2003 and older has the options of create new project which created an .adp
file. This Access .adp file could create a new database, change existing
data, change the design of an existing sql 2000 database. Access 2003
could
not change the design of SQL 2005 DB.

Is there a comparable feature in Access 2007 where new databases can be
added to an SQL 2005 instance, or change data and design of an existing
database in an instance of SQL 2005?

Here's what Clint Covington, Lead Product Manager, blogged about the
deprecation of ADP in Access 2007:

http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1057772&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

The recommendation is use Access, Access database engine (the successor to
Jet), and ODBC to link SQL Server Tables. As to modifying an SQL Server
database, SQL Server has some excellent tools. (Most shops with which I am
familiar have DBAs who don't want anyone else mucking about in their SQL {or
other brand} Server definitions, anyway.)

Larry Linson
Microsoft Access MVP

Albert D.Kallal

Just to clear things up here:

a2007 will have full support for ADP projects, and that means sql 2005
databases....

RoyVidar

Albert D.Kallal wrote in message
Just to clear things up here:

a2007 will have full support for ADP projects, and that means sql
2005 databases....

Full support - that sounds interesting!

It sounds much better than what one would expect after reading this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917418/en-us
"However, future Access product releases may offer limited support for
using graphical design tools when connected to a SQL Server 2005
database"

RoyVidar

Larry Linson wrote in message said:
Here's what Clint Covington, Lead Product Manager, blogged about the
deprecation of ADP in Access 2007:

http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1057772&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

The recommendation is use Access, Access database engine (the
successor to Jet), and ODBC to link SQL Server Tables. As to
modifying an SQL Server database, SQL Server has some excellent
tools. (Most shops with which I am familiar have DBAs who don't want
anyone else mucking about in their SQL {or other brand} Server
definitions, anyway.)

Larry Linson
Microsoft Access MVP

Are you by any chance mixing up "Data Access Pages" (DAP) and "Access
Data Projects" (ADP) here?

Albert D.Kallal

Well, it not likely they are going to go back and fix that older code....

However, the new version of ms-access will support the new version of sql
server.

Manuel Lopez

There may have been some confusion about DAP vs ADP, but as I understand it
they are definitely moving away from ADPs. In Access 2007, there is no
option (I can easily find) to create a new access project (adp), as there is
for a mdb (now an accdb), and the recommendation is to use accdb for all new
Access frontends.
See the discussion at:
http://www.databaseadvisors.com/gazette/sqlexpress.htm

Mary Chipman: "FWIW, the Access team has moved away from recommending ADPs
as a front-end to SQLS apps over the last year or so, based on several
public talks given by team members at industry conferences. If you are
contemplating new development with Access as a FE to a SQLS BE, you'll
likely be ahead of the game with an efficiently-designed MDB/linked table
solution rather than an ADP."

Robert Morley

I was kinda hoping that MS would change directions here, cuz this really
sucks. Not that long ago, they were encouraging EVERYONE to migrate to
ADP's with either MSDE or SQL Server as the back end...so when our Access
project at work outgrew Access alone, I dutifully migrated to ADP as the FE
with a SS2K BE. Now, they've decided that maybe it's "too hard" <whine
whine> to have everyone do what MS told us to, and so they'll just go back
to plan A.

So now it would seem that at some point in the future (when our organization
can be bothered to actually migrate past 4- to 6-year-old technology), I'm
going to wind up migrating absolutely everything BACK to an MDB with a
somewhat more traditional FE/BE structure (one that doesn't readily support
cataloguing and opening server-side views in the FE). Somehow, I'm sure I'm
not alone in having taken this development path.

If MS is going to "firmly encourage" people to follow a certain technology
path, it would behove them to firmly follow it themselves, and not flip-flop
every time the going gets rough.

Rob

Sylvain Lafontaine

What happens if you try to open an existing ADP project?

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC

Manuel Lopez said:
There may have been some confusion about DAP vs ADP, but as I understand
it they are definitely moving away from ADPs. In Access 2007, there is no
option (I can easily find) to create a new access project (adp), as there
is for a mdb (now an accdb), and the recommendation is to use accdb for
all new Access frontends.
See the discussion at:
http://www.databaseadvisors.com/gazette/sqlexpress.htm

Mary Chipman: "FWIW, the Access team has moved away from recommending
ADPs as a front-end to SQLS apps over the last year or so, based on
several public talks given by team members at industry conferences. If you
are contemplating new development with Access as a FE to a SQLS BE, you'll
likely be ahead of the game with an efficiently-designed MDB/linked table
solution rather than an ADP."

Manuel Lopez

They're fairly good about backward compatibility (dao still works! and
existing .adp projects should work), but there was some instability and
uncertainty in laying down a new direction (nothing human is lasting etc.).
Things become clear at different times, and there are trade-offs to
continuing to support past plans, though they can be faulted for not
sufficiently anticipating or testing out the pitfalls in various plans. At
any rate, they're a lot of good changes in ACC2007 (such as Excel-like
presentation and editing of tables), and sql server 2005 has a much better
interface and programmability than 2k. It's true they still end up with
different interfaces, a client-side Access and a server-side Sql Server.

Brendan Reynolds

This is one of those 'picture paints a thousand words' situations, so here's
a link to a picture ...

http://brenreyn.brinkster.net/newadp.jpg

I agree that an MDB or ACCDB is probably a better choice for new apps, but
for the time being at least ADPs are still supported.

--
Brendan Reynolds
Access MVP

Manuel Lopez said:
There may have been some confusion about DAP vs ADP, but as I understand
it they are definitely moving away from ADPs. In Access 2007, there is no
option (I can easily find) to create a new access project (adp), as there
is for a mdb (now an accdb), and the recommendation is to use accdb for
all new Access frontends.
See the discussion at:
http://www.databaseadvisors.com/gazette/sqlexpress.htm

Mary Chipman: "FWIW, the Access team has moved away from recommending
ADPs as a front-end to SQLS apps over the last year or so, based on
several public talks given by team members at industry conferences. If you
are contemplating new development with Access as a FE to a SQLS BE, you'll
likely be ahead of the game with an efficiently-designed MDB/linked table
solution rather than an ADP."

aaron.kempf

Robert;

I fully hear your pain.

ADP is a fully superior platform to MDB in every concievable fashion.

I just cannot believe that.... ADP is a fantastic front tool for developping
around SQL Server. It is evident that no robust multi-users solution can be
built with MDB. The problem is much more serious than just compatibility with
former developments ..............

Which answer by Microsoft ? ? ?

aaron.kempf

ADP _IS_ a fantastic tool..

Those idiot project managers at Microsoft need to get SOME real world
implementation experience before driving around like a bunch of drunk
fratboys; cancelling products; bringing back DAO from the DED.

it's just ridiculous.

ADP is the single most important product to EVER come out of Microsoft.
and nobody; inside of Microsoft- -gives a crap about ADP.

-Aaron

Albert D. Kallal

I just cannot believe that.... ADP is a fantastic front tool for
developping
around SQL Server. It is evident that no robust multi-users solution can
be
built with MDB. The problem is much more serious than just compatibility
with
former developments ..............

Which answer by Microsoft ? ? ?

I am confused here?

I just told you that ADP's are supported in 2007. What part can't you
believe?

aaron.kempf

that Microsoft doesn't come out and clear up the confusion... 50
billion in the bank; and they can't afford to MARKET their most
important product in the Office family??

80% of the people on these newsgroups claim that it's going away
it PISSES ME OFF

-Aaron