A view on aging

Reaction score
George Carlin's View on Aging

Do you realize that the only time in our lives when we like to get old is when we're kids? If you're less than 10 years old, you're so excited about aging that you think in fractions.

"How old are you?" "I'm four and a half!" You're never thirty-six and a half. You're four and a half, going on five! That's the key.

You get into your teens, now they can't hold you back. You jump to the next number, or even a few ahead.

"How old are you?" "I'm gonna be 16!" You could be 13, but hey, you're gonna be 16! And then the greatest day of your life . . . You become 21. Even the words sound like a ceremony . . YOU BECOME 21. YESSSS!!!

But then you turn 30. Oooohh, what happened there? Makes you sound like bad milk! He TURNED; we had to throw him out. There's no fun now, you're Just a sour-dumpling. What's wrong? What's changed?

You BECOME 21, you TURN 30, then you're PUSHING 40. Whoa! Put on the brakes, it's all slipping away. Before you know it, you REACH 50

And your dreams are gone.

But wait!!! You MAKE it to 60. You didn't think you would!

So you BECOME 21, TURN 30, PUSH 40, REACH 50 and MAKE it to 60.

You've built up so much speed that you HIT 70! After that it's a day-by-day thing; you HIT Wednesday!

You get into your 80's and every day is a complete cycle; you HIT lunch; you TURN 4:30; you REACH bedtime. And it doesn't end there. Into the 90's, you start going backwards; "I Was JUST 92."

Then a strange thing happens. If you make it over 100, you become a little kid again. "I'm 100 and a half!"

May you all make it to a healthy 100 and a half!!

HOW TO STAY YOUNG

1. Throw out nonessential numbers. This includes age, weight and height. Let the doctors worry about them. That is why you pay "them!"

2. Keep only cheerful friends. The grouches pull you down.

3. Keep learning. Learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening, whatever. Never let the brain idle. "An idle mind is the devil's workshop." And the devil's name is Alzheimer's.

4. Enjoy the simple things.

5. Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath.

6. The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person, who is with us our entire life, is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive.

7. Surround yourself with what you love, whether it's family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is your refuge.

8. Cherish your health: If it is good, preserve it. If it is unstable, improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.

9 Don't take guilt trips. Take a trip to the mall, even to the next county; to a foreign country but NOT to where the guilt is.

10. Tell the people you love that you love them, at every opportunity.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

We all need to live life to its fullest each day!!
Have a wonderful day!!!!!!!

Reaction score
I dont really want to think about getting older, there doesnt seem to be much good it brings... I mean, you have kids, a job and responsibility amongst other things that adulthood brings, but now its so easy to get into debt or worry about finances and the like....

Bit of a worrier me :eek:

Then again im trying my best to live my childhood to the full, only get one shot at it :D. Most of advice in the 'How to stay young' bit is what i generally try to do anyway :)

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
michael 118 said:
I dont really want to think about getting older, there doesnt seem to be much good it brings... I mean, you have kids, a job and responsibility amongst other things that adulthood brings, but now its so easy to get into debt or worry about finances and the like....

Bit of a worrier me :eek:

Then again im trying my best to live my childhood to the full, only get one shot at it :D. Most of advice in the 'How to stay young' bit is what i generally try to do anyway :)

You're mostly right, but....

There are good things age brings, not many, but a few.

Peeps take you seriously for a start, gawd knows why, I'm still daft :lol:

You do definitely get a better overview on everything, but most of all , human nature.

Of course, by the time you hit that age where you've sussed it, it's too late to take advantage of it ;)

By far the best thing to take you through this life, and this is only my point of view, is a solid relationship, more than anything in this world, someone to love, to trust, to believe in, honestly, nothing better than that for mental well being.

2nd best thing, if you're straight, is kids. I know, it's a cliche, but they are bloody brilliant.

If you ain't straight, no matter, it ain't that big a deal, just learn to love people, with all their funny little ways.

If you can talk a bigot, a racist, round to seeing another point of view in just one day, you being born has been worthwhile.

If you can lose your grumpiness, your own hatred, your dislike of everything that's rubbing you up the wrong way and say, and mean it - we're all human, then you're winning.

But, as for getting old, it's weird, no longer do the girls return that knowing smile or nod. suddenly, you're checking coupons, my goodness, is that a varicose vein? Hmm, my hairline is receeding, doctor's appointments becoming more frequent, running everywhere and riding a bike are no longer taken for granted, you gotta work on this thing now.

Oh, seriously, it's a bugger, you cruise the first 25, the next 25 you work on and I'd imagine the next 25 (which may be your last, though hopefully not) you just smile if you wake up each day :lol:

Happy days :)

Reaction score
That was a brill insight m8 thankyou. I enjoyed reading that.

I'm glad I posted it now lots of great thoughts and feedback coming from it :)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
You're mostly right, but....

There are good things age brings, not many, but a few.

Peeps take you seriously for a start, gawd knows why, I'm still daft :lol:

You do definitely get a better overview on everything, but most of all , human nature.

Of course, by the time you hit that age where you've sussed it, it's too late to take advantage of it ;)

By far the best thing to take you through this life, and this is only my point of view, is a solid relationship, more than anything in this world, someone to love, to trust, to believe in, honestly, nothing better than that for mental well being.

2nd best thing, if you're straight, is kids. I know, it's a cliche, but they are bloody brilliant.

If you ain't straight, no matter, it ain't that big a deal, just learn to love people, with all their funny little ways.

If you can talk a bigot, a racist, round to seeing another point of view in just one day, you being born has been worthwhile.

If you can lose your grumpiness, your own hatred, your dislike of everything that's rubbing you up the wrong way and say, and mean it - we're all human, then you're winning.

But, as for getting old, it's weird, no longer do the girls return that knowing smile or nod. suddenly, you're checking coupons, my goodness, is that a varicose vein? Hmm, my hairline is receeding, doctor's appointments becoming more frequent, running everywhere and riding a bike are no longer taken for granted, you gotta work on this thing now.

Oh, seriously, it's a bugger, you cruise the first 25, the next 25 you work on and I'd imagine the next 25 (which may be your last, though hopefully not) you just smile if you wake up each day :lol:

Happy days :)

Yeah, have to agree there. Especially about the last. I'm not even 40 yet (well one more year to go) & suddenly I'm finding that all those things I didn't really take care about (eg wearing earmuffs when working heavy machinery, all those things that were'nt really going to make a difference 'just this once') really do have consequences. & suddenly it takes twice as much exercise to stay half as fit. & suddenly I'm climbing fences I once would've jumped. & a part of me still keeps saying... "hang on, this wasn't supposed to happen to me until I'm old" :confused: :lol:

But nevertheless, you still couldn't pay me enough to be a teenager again. To live at the mercy of hormones again? & I would never trade all the things that I have learned over the last 20 years, just to be 19 again. I love being the age I am & I so look forward to all that's ahead of me. Even the rough stuff. Because I know now that I can survive. Even the times when I don't want to.
But also there's all the things I can do now because of the experiences I've had, that I couldn't've done then. & all the things that I enjoy now, that seemed trivial or were unnoticed then. & the depths of appreciation that I simply couldn't've had then because of the things I didn't know yet back then.

And... to never have had my children? All the joys & light they have brought into my life? However many struggles there may have been The world is so much a better place because they are in it & they amaze & astound me every day.
I suppose I am lucky there. Having seen John go through the 'empty nest' thing when his youngest (his daughter) left home, has given me an appreciation for just how short a time they will be with me & just how precious every day of that is. Something that it can be so easy to lose track of in the busynessess of daily life.

Make the most of the time when you're a kid, like you said Michael, you only get to do it once. But believe me, life really is what you make of it. What you do with what comes your way. And there are potentialities & possibilities ahead of you that come with getting older & that often come with those responsibilities you list.

You are right though... avoid debt. That one can drag you down into a hole that just keeps getting bigger & that is where most your financial worries will come from. & that is the one that will keep you trapped in a job you hate but are terrified of losing. In general, "If you can't pay for it, don't buy it".

But, as I said, you really truely, couldn't pay me enough to be a teenager again. But I wish you a happy teenagehood nevertheless.
And don't forget the whole world is ahead of you, like a gift, waiting to be unwrapped... every day.
Enjoy :)

God I sound pompous dont I :nod:

Reaction score
cirianz said:
Yeah :)

Life's far too short to spend it being miserable
nod.gif

Fact!:wave:

Ask a Question