A tree question

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
We have a thirty year old willow tree (not the weeping kind, just an ordinary willow) which must be about 25 -30 feet tall. It is not really a thing of beauty exactly, because it has several "trunks" which all sprouted out from the base - if you can picture that? They are quite chunky now, maybe a foot in circumference.

Anyway, it is far too close to the house, so has to be taken down. (I don't say this lightly, because we're fond of trees - even mis-shapen ones, that's how come this one was left alone... :rolleyes: ) So does anyone have a clue about how much it would be likely to cost to cut it down please? We obviously intend to get a quote or two... but having no idea about what is a "fair" price, it would be nice to be able to tell the sublime from the ridiculous, so-to-speak. :blush:

I know this is not in the least bit related to technology, but just hoping maybe one of you has had some experience of this kind of thing. Thank you for looking anyway :D

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
hmmmm sounds like a Murdoch and Feckit jobby here :)

Reaction score
Well as a trained Forester i think I’m the right person to help you.

First you need to find out from your local Council to see if the tree is covered by a T.P.0 (Tree Preservation Order)
TPO's are used to protect trees, even in your own private garden, failure to comply with a preservation order could lead to prosecution in a court of law!! You have been warned!

However if the tree is protected then if you can prove the tree is causing damage to your property you can then challenge any order. Suggest you write to the Councils Tree Officer/Arboriculture Officer. Get at least 3 quotes for any work to be carried out.
The Council may even have a list of good Arboriculture Companies.
If in doubt PM me and I can walk you through it.:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for the answers. Interestingly - we tried to get a TPO put on a lovely old oak tree which wasn't our's but grew quite near... Council wouldn't have any of it... why? because a dratted "developer" wanted to take it down to make way for an access road into a field! Can't forgive them over that.

But I digress. Will try to get a pic in a minute (when/if it stops raining). I absolutely hate "cruelty" to trees, I'm a bit of a "hugger" in that respect.

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
I'm a bit of a "hugger" in that respect.
:eek:
Seriously TaffyCat if you want any help i'm more than happy to help.
Sounds like your Council may not be that 'hot' on T.P.O, that makes it easier for you!!!!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Here is the tree in question - to the right of the shed! :)
WillowTree1.jpg

Reaction score
OK, nice picture!

The choices with this will be:
1. Get a tree surgeon to cut back to the stump & then use chemicals to kill the stump & under soil growth.
2. Get it cut down & have a stump grinder to take all the stump & roots out.
3. Just get it cut back & cut bits off it as it grows (and it will!)

You will need to contact your local Council to see if their are any Tree Preservation Orders on your property.

They may also have a list of approved companies to use.

Get 3 quotes & ask for a written quote.

Example:
Dear Sir/Madam
Are their any Tree Preservation Orders (TPO's) at (Use your full address)
You may want to mention it may cause structural damage to your property if not addressed quickly.

Address it to the Tree Officer/Arboricultural Officer at your Council.

Once you have the go ahead by letter, keep it save & get the work done.

(If in doubt contact/PM, Myself or Feckit)

Last edited:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well... option 3 sounds like the sort of thing we had in mind.... or maybe option 1 (if the chemicals could be used without causing harm to any wildlife, that is... thinking of birds, squirrels, etc.) We're not really big on chemicals here.

We really appreciate all that advice. Heck of a lot of "cowboys" around here, in fact we get someone knocking on the door most weeks, purporting to be "tree surgeons" yeah right :rolleyes: That's why we needed some advice. We've seen some of them "at work" elsewhere and, it's really not a pretty sight. Trees left in a mess, dangerous techniques, etc. You can probably guess the picture. :nod:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Great stuff TC and Murdoch. :thumb: I have similar problems with two poplars which are getting too big for their boots. They are not particularly near the house but do block out a lot of light in my house and the neighbour's.

BTW Murdoch is it true that hammering a copper nail into a tree kills it off? A pal of mine assures me that this is the case. :)

Reaction score
I treated a stump in my parents garden a few years ago & their cat sits on the stump daily & it has not effected her yet!
You could get it cut down to ground level & the stump removed by a grinder.
But if you just get it cut back you can then manage the growth yourself.

Argh yes the cowboys are active near me to, i just start using the technical terms & they seem to leave for some reason, quickly!
If you need advice just ask, i'm happy to help.

Reaction score
nivrip said:
Great stuff TC and Murdoch. :thumb: I have similar problems with two poplars which are getting too big for their boots. They are not particularly near the house but do block out a lot of light in my house and the neighbour's.

BTW Murdoch is it true that hammering a copper nail into a tree kills it off? A pal of mine assures me that this is the case. :)
Not sure about that one, never done it myself!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Murdoch, we're grateful for the advice.

Re the "cowboys" for anyone who doesn't know the technicalities... it also helps to look a bit "spaced-out" and tell them how much you love the trees .... :lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you lived closer I'd give you a price on taking the tree down. Looks like a pretty simple job.

That copper nail thing is a load of bo****ks.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
When I moved into a house back in '89 part of the condition of the mortgage being granted was that we cut down a silver birch growing about 20 feet from the rear house wall in the back garden as the roots would undermine the foundations when it got bigger.

So me and me mate Mark set about destroying it. He's a gardener for Greenwich council.

The trunk was only about a foot (300mm) in diameter so we used a variety of saws, angle grinders, lots of beer, mild explosives and ancient druid spells to get rid of it.

Which was a damned shame really cos I liked that tree :(

We dug up most of the roots and Mark told me I may see some growths as it tries to regrow but I never did cos the area where it was was put to lawn and was regularly mowed.

And when we took out the roots we discovered an Anderson shelter, but that's another story ;)

Oh, and didn't seek permission either - me bad :D

PS: Only joking about mild explosives, just in case somebody feels tempted to scold me ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It's interesting that you mention the druid spells Flopps, because I did consider carrying out ye olde Celtic rite, of dancing naked on the compost heap, whilst chanting runic verses.

This doesn't directly influence the growth of the tree, of course, but it does unsettle the neighbours a fair bit. It doesn't make the squirrels feel too happy either... they immediately go into a gnawing frenzy on the tree-bark, helped along by the resident woodpeckers.... In no time at all "Tim-ber... " down it crashes, scattering fur, feathers and Taffycats in all directions...

Which is why I thought we ought to stick to a professional :lol:

Reaction score
Nice picture that looks like a big tree!

Murdoch I'll have something to ask you soon too, regards a hedge we got that got burned a few years back
some parts didn't grow back properly.

I will see if I can get some pictures. :)

Ask a Question