Windows XP A temporary file needed for initialization could not be created or could not.....

Reaction score
When a user tries to run a 16 bit program on my computer, he gets an error that reads:

"C:\DOCUME~1\JOE\LOCALS~1\Temp\. A temporary file needed for
initialization could not be created or could not be written to. Make sure
that the directory path exists,and disk space is available. Chose close to
terminate the application."

When I give Joe admin rights, then he can run the program. Is there a way Joe can run the program without being a member of Admin?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Ejohm said:
When a user tries to run a 16 bit program on my computer, he gets an error that reads:

"C:\DOCUME~1\JOE\LOCALS~1\Temp\. A temporary file needed for
initialization could not be created or could not be written to. Make sure
that the directory path exists,and disk space is available. Chose close to
terminate the application."

When I give Joe admin rights, then he can run the program. Is there a way Joe can run the program without being a member of Admin?

Thanks!

Hi Ejohm
Welcome to PCR
First off can you let us know what OS you are using, then second what program is the user trying to run...These will help in us helping find you a solution

Reaction score
More info

Here is the info you asked for.

• Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP3
  • Anti Virus Software : AVG Free 8.0
  • Anti Spyware Software : none
  • How do you connect to the net : DSL
  • Your Computer Specifications - This is very important!!
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+
    1.91 GHz, 1GB RAM
    80GB HD
    Program causing error: "American Heritage Dictionary" v 3.6 (this version ran on Windows 95)
I don't think it really matter what 16 bit program I'm running. I suspect, I'd get the error no matter what I am running.

Thanks,
Ed

Reaction score
Ejohm said:
Here is the info you asked for.

• Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP3
  • Anti Virus Software : AVG Free 8.0
  • Anti Spyware Software : none
  • How do you connect to the net : DSL
  • Your Computer Specifications - This is very important!!You'd be supprised what is and isn't important in resolving issues..
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+
    1.91 GHz, 1GB RAM
    80GB HD
    Program causing error: "American Heritage Dictionary" v 3.6 (this version ran on Windows 95)
I don't think it really matter what 16 bit program I'm running. I suspect, I'd get the error no matter what I am running.

Thanks,
Ed

HAve a look Here for a resolution to the error you are getting...
And to answer your initial question No..Xp only provides two account types. limited and administrator..In my opinion as you have already set up accounts for other users, you obviously want the security.If joe wants to install games he should get you to do it leaving the computer safe to trusted hands..

Reaction score
I'll try the procedures mentioned in the Microsoft Article you mentioned. I did not find that one when I searched! How did you find it?

On the other subject:
Hmmm - "to answer your initial question No..Xp only provides two account types. limited and administrator.."

There are Groups other than limited and administrators like Power Users, Users, Guest and I set up another called Group1 to limit access to certain folders. But maybe you are saying that Groups generally fall under those 2 basic types. Is that what you mean?

One other question. For folders (or files), using the Advanced Security TAB, do you know any great articles that explain "Inherited from". I've read several I found but I don't understand yet.

Thanks.

Ask a Question