A RAID tale and other encounters

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Situation hasn't really changed since last I posted, I have two main folders for Video and Audio each divided into sub-folders. For instance Audio is FLAC; mp3; Other formats; Other Music; New Music. And the films are all just listed with a few separate categories such as James Bond, Alien Quadrilogy and the like plus a folder for newest films.

I'm thinking about storing all my photos and GOG games on there as well.

It runs quietly mostly except if it gets busy when it does become noticeably noisy.

Overall I like it a lot, very happy with it. I have still to explore and get to know it a bit better, specifically the software and early warning systems. It still feels a little risky trusting all my media to one device, I need to know a little more how it copes with any disk failures and more specifically how it preserves files and what the recovery method would be.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah good, I'm please you like it :D.

If you've got a 2nd backup somewhere (i.e. where you are transferring it from), why not yank a disk out and test the RAID recovery procedure. I'd only be so gung-ho if you have a 2nd backup, even though it should be fine.

I'm writing a review of the DS916+ at the moment and have pulled a disk out to see how it copes with degraded RAID and rebuilding - you should be able to access the data just fine as long as you've got the correct RAID setup. Then, once you insert the disk again, it should rebuild (it'll take a little time, but it'll still be usable in the background).

Ask a Question