6-in-1 card reader not found in My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have this 6-in-1 card reader on my computer, it's built in. The drives (4 of them) are always vissible in My Computer. It's been working perfectly, until a while ago when the drive for the SD/MMC slot disappeared. I could find it in Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Disk Drives. When I went to volumes and clicked updates, it showed the right size of the card etc., but it had no letter (like n:/).

I asked around and was told to download the latest drivers. So I went to HPs website (I have a HP Pavillion a130.se btw), and there I saw that my computer has the "KYE 6-in-1 card reader", and there was a link to the latest firmware. I downloaded it, and installed it (It changed from v1.16 to v1.40), and rebooted as it told me to do, and now it has a new name, and none of the drives are vissible except one, and I can't access any of my cards (I've tried plugging them in a few times - nothing). There's a light on the device that tells me the cards are connected, but the PC can't find them.

Before, the Device Manager listed 4 drives (Don't remember the names, I think it was just "Card Device 1" or something similar), and now it only lists one; USB 4K ISP Code USB Device".

In My Computer it shows ONE "Removeable disk", while it before the driver update showed three, and when all was good it showed four...

Does anyone know what I have to do to get the card reader(s) to work again?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Have you downloaded the correct drivers for you specific card reader?
When did you first notice the problem & what had you done before it started not to work?

Reaction score
feckit said:
Have you downloaded the correct drivers for you specific card reader?
When did you first notice the problem & what had you done before it started not to work?

I went to the HP site which told me that the computer I have, has that device in it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you're confident to go inside your computer, take the side off and disconnect the lead coming from the back of the reader to the motherboard.

It will probably plug into a motherboard USB slot, just pull it out (with the computer turned off).

Reboot, shut down, reconnect the reader, reboot and Windows just may re-detect it and go through the hardware installation procedure.

Worth a shot :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Card readers are USB devices that do not have 'drivers' as would a sound card ... I'm sick to death of mine disappearing that I take no notice of it whatsoever ... it always seems to pop back when I stick something into the reader. :rolleyes:

Floppy is on the right track however ... external USB devices are easy, 'cos you just try another USB socket ... but internal ones, well you gotta get inside, unplug it and re-plug it back in ... sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. You shutdown the PC, turn off at the mains, better to actually pull the plug out ... then open the case, unplug the 'device' turn on the PC, wait, turn off the PC, plug it back in, turn on the PC:)

Now, us that know, will actually do all that with the PC turned on ... I do not recommend you do that, if you do, be it on your own head.
nod.gif

It is not a true internal device ... they just use one of your internal USB ports to run it just like an external one. :)

and there I saw that my computer has the "KYE 6-in-1 card reader", and there was a link to the latest firmware. I downloaded it, and installed it (It changed from v1.16 to v1.40), and rebooted as it told me to do, and now it has a new name, and none of the drives are vissible except one, and I can't access any of my cards (I've tried plugging them in a few times - nothing). There's a light on the device that tells me the cards are connected, but the PC can't find them.
Oops

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Now, us that know, will actually do all that with the PC turned on ... I do not recommend you do that, if you do, be it on your own head.
nod.gif

I won't do that, no way! :p

muckshifter said:

By that I guess I shouldn't have done that. :p
DARN me for trusting the computer manufacturers homepages! DARN! :)

I'll shut down the computer and try that thingy now, thanks. I'll know within a few minutes if it works.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well, sorry for the 'oops' but I don't think it would have fixed your 'problem' anyway ... I only read that later. :)

But I have just read the 'advice' on HPs site about not Stopping the Device in "safely remove hardware" and I agree with them ... it is usually why people 'loose' their readers but a simple re-boot get it back. But I also disagree with other things they say to do.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaqDocument?product=12455&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07910

A card reader is a USB device ... USB is, supposedly, plug-n-pray hot swappable ... shove it in, take it out, don't care for the silly bing-bong all the time, to close sounding to "an error has just occurred" sound. :D

USB will, one day, work as intended ... until then, we take pot luck somtimes. ;)

user.gif

Reaction score
muckshifter, thank you so much! It all works perfectly now! I can even read the SD and MMC cards! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
ellkay said:
muckshifter, thank you so much! It all works perfectly now! I can even read the SD and MMC cards! :D

Looks like I don't exist then........ :lol:

I give up :rolleyes:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Incidentally, all my USB devices work fine except my Epson 3590 scanner. Sometimes I have to disconnect DC power supply and reconnect for it to show up.

But everything else, printers, joystick, cordless gamepads, camera, iPod et al, work just fine :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Looks like I don't exist then........ :lol:

I give up :rolleyes:
Who is this person ??? ... I'll give you the points Foppy. :thumb:

:p

muckshifter

Reaction score
ellkay said:
Oh, geez. I'm sorry. Thank you both! You made my day! :)
Your welcome ... stick around a whlie ... we have experts here who we even don't know what they do.

We all learn something new everyday ... now you know, pass it on. :thumb:

user.gif

Reaction score
i have tried everything u say and so much more and still i cannot read the sd card that goes in my pavilion a230n

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
i have tried everything u say and so much more and still i cannot read the sd card that goes in my pavilion a230n

You will get more response by starting your own thread rather than jumping a 7 year old thread :D

Reaction score
i finally figured it out anyway, thanks tho!! its cuz its a higher capacity card then the program can read. its an SDHC instead of just SD!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question