4Gb Memory question

Reaction score
I have an Asus Striker mobo and 1Gb stick of ram in each of the four slots, giving me a total of 4Gb...BUT...would there be any likely performance gain if i was running 2x2Gb sticks instead?

Reaction score
depends which model of ram you're using i guess.

If your using windows (vista?) then 4GB isn't terribly efficient anyway.

Reaction score
michael 118 said:
depends which model of ram you're using i guess.

If your using windows (vista?) then 4GB isn't terribly efficient anyway.

4 sticks of Corsair 8500...4Gb not that efficient...?? I don't know enuf about RAM...are you saying that less would actually be better?
Any advice would be welcome m8!!!:nod:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well i am running 4x 1GB, and have no probs, apart from XP 32 not seeing all of it, but i'll be getting Vista 64 sooner or later.

I s'pose 2 x 2gb is better due to several factors; less heat, less power consumption, less parts to fail, more slots for another 4GB! :D

But i cant see it making a massive difference tbh.

There's an old but interesting article here, worth a quick read. :)

http://www.bcchardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3135&Itemid=40

Reaction score
V_R said:
apart from XP 32 not seeing all of it, but i'll be getting Vista 64 sooner or later.

But i cant see it making a massive difference tbh.

thats what I meant :).

I don't see either how it would make a huge differnence, probably better off investing in a better CPU or something :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Mike, even though XP sees 3-3.5 depending on VidRam i think its worth it, I was playing MoH:A last night and had process explorer in the background, the game alone was using 1.6GB of RAM, and thats before you count all the windows stuff running, including BOINC,Total use was more than 2gb. For 1nt has a bigger screen, that dell runs at 1920x1200, thus more pixels, so i would say with all the extra textures and stuff on screen his ram usage would be higher still!

Have a read of the link i posted above, This is the conclusion.....
2) 2GB of memory will be enough to keep all of today's games running quite smoothly. However, in light of Battlefield 2, and the Battlefield 2142 Demo taking up over 1.8GB of a 2GB system, there isn't much room left for other programs running in the background.

When i said ' But i cant see it making a massive difference tbh.' i was talking about 1x4gb or 2x2gb. Read all the post and dont quote out of context. If you had included the line of text between the two you did quote it takes on a new meaning....

:)

Last edited:

Ask a Question