2 SATA cd-roms

Reaction score
I hate two Lite-on SATA CD rom drives and the first one works fine. However upon the installation of the second one Windows does not recognize it, and in the device manager give me Error Code 42 (Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system. ) for the first Sata drive. I can not get windows to install this new device because it always thinks its a duplicate. How can i fix this?

-Asus A8n-Vm CSM Motherboard, Microsoft Windows XP, AMD 3500+, 1024MB RAM

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

user.gif

Reaction score
I know i've tried windows site and troubleshooter but all it tells me to do is restart and that does nothing.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sorry, don't have a solution, but I am wondering why anybody would want two CD-ROM drives?

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
I don't know too much about SATA cd roms but do they have jumpers like ordinary ide devices?

Covenant

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Covenant said:
I don't know too much about SATA cd roms but do they have jumpers like ordinary ide devices?

Covenant

Must confess, that crossed my mind as well.

I do know most SATA Hard Drives are jumperless (with the exception of some Western Digital drives) but I don't know about SATA optical drives.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Nope, no need for jumpers on SATA in the respect of Master & Slave as it will not be sharing any channel as does IDE.

The only thing I can think of is ... that MB has RAID SATA II ... turn it off if you can in the BIOS, see if that helps.

user.gif

Reaction score
Fixed

Actually RAID was disabled on all 4 of my SATA ports, but I enabled raid on one of the sata cd-rom drive ports which caused a great enough difference between the drives to allow windows to load seperate drivers for them, i guess. Anyway they work now, i'm just wondering will having raid enabled do anything to my CD-rom drive? and at the moment i dont have a SATA HDD, but i'm planing on getting one soon, will the raid affect that sata hdd?

Reaction score
Well i am noticing some things, While raid is enabled My computer always freezes when i try to reboot, and the BIOS takes considerably longer to forward itself to the windows screen.

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
To be honest, I didn't realise you could get SATA cd rom drives which shows how much I know!

Covenant

muckshifter

Reaction score
Nixus91 said:
Well i am noticing some things, While raid is enabled My computer always freezes when i try to reboot, and the BIOS takes considerably longer to forward itself to the windows screen.
Yup, possibility is the RAID looking for data of the HDs that ain't there.

That MB is primarily "sold" as a "multimedia entertainment" systems board ... and unusually, well not recently, will go to RAID 5. The idea behind all that is to be able to use all the HDs (4) to the best effect for storing movies & music etc.

The only SATA CD drives worth using are re-writers, even then you really ain't gaining anything.

I can only suggest you have a look in the RAID BIOS again and see if you can "configure" anything or, buy IDE CD drives.

user.gif

Reaction score
Thank God I am not alone. Sorry you having problems but they are the exact same as mine. The only difference is I already had 2 dvd burners hooked up via IDE, my only IDE. Well I wanted to add one more dvd drive and decided to get 2.

I hope you get this fixed and I can steal your solution lol.

Ask a Question