Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I heard the news that today Ubuntu 10.10 was available for download! What a date and what a version. Linux is really improving with every new release. :thumb:

The new version is a joy to install, quick and convenient to say the least. Before it actually starts installing it detects wireless network and prompts you to provide the network key and password, it then goes on to download the updates simultaneously while installing the system.
bowdown.gif

I must say it was a Sunday with a treat. :D

Ubuntu 10.10

Reaction score
Hi Quadphile, I have te previous version but do not use it much because of not being easly able to seem to get drivers for sound cards and Video cards. Is the new version easier to obtain drivers etc, as people who use Microsoft are spoon fed and not OK with software and I will want to eventualy get away from Microsoft as now on a pension and cash is tight now and every bit of software now costs so much. At the moment I have 300gig partision for Ubuntu. If I download the new version will it delete the previous version and replace it with the new 10.10. Your comments would be appreaciated and if possible in idiot proof terms. Thanks

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Just downloaded 10.10.10 and installed it within Windows. So far so good. I shall have a play over the next few days and see how it goes. :)

Reaction score
Ubuntu 10.10

EvanDavis said:
Just downloaded 10.10.10 and installed it within Windows. So far so good. I shall have a play over the next few days and see how it goes. :)

Thanks Evan for your input I can build PC's and install Windows but unsure about Ubuntu as no good with software as I am just a user. Also what frightens me is they keep talking about assisting in development of Linux, I am a simple user and all I want is a OS that works and that I can understand and is simple.

When I downloaded the previous Ubuntu it allowed me to make a partition so I allowed it 300gig now when I boot up I have to choose which OS to use. So basically I have 1200gig for Windows and 300gig for Ubuntu so the question is if I download the 10.10.10 will it overwrite the previous version, or will it want to make a new partition?:blush:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
bootneck02,

You will be provided a choice when installing it so need not worry. I suggest you opt for manual partition and when provided the choice go for formatting the Ubuntu partition. After that install it there. The new version is very easy and user friendly as long as you follow the instructions on the screen.

You have nothing to worry when it comes to drivers for video and sound card, Ubuntu should automatically detect it and install it for you. The entire system will be installed in less than half an hour or so and ready to go.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Ubuntru is a great free and confortable opereting system.

And you didnt have to pay one Pound for it!

Reaction score
Well I know you old boys and girls who are into Ubuntu and understand it are fine with it, but speaking as one who has been brought up with Windows I have tried Ubuntu twice and it does nothing for me . It is too complicated, it doesn't have enough software available, the drivers for hardware are a bit iffy and it is not for me. I appreciate that is free and individuals put a lot of time developing it and that with Windows is not all it is cracked up to be but it works and software houses do write software for it and hardware manufactures write drivers for their equipment and it is easily available via Google.

I think the major problem is that is no competition in Operating Systems as there is only three that I know Microsoft, Mac and Linux. The advantage of Linux is that it is free but lack of software choice and drivers, Mac the disadvantages expensive and you cannot buy the OS and put it on a PC (as far as I know) and Windows advantages plenty of software and compatible drivers and choice, easy to use. Disadvantages no real competition to keep prices low, costly as most software is expensive e.g Serif.

Until Linux can bring out a OS that is simple and makes it easy for the user with with little or no software experience to be able to us it it will continue to be a system for the aficionado with software names that baffle us as to what they do it will continue to be a OS for the technical people and not for the user who who wants to boot up and get on with enjoying their PC and not worry, it does what you want it to do.

I do expect to get many adverse comments. He He He:wave:

Last edited:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
bootneck02 said:
Well I know you old boys and girls who are into Ubuntu and understand it are fine with it, but speaking as one who has been brought up with Windows I have tried Ubuntu twice and it does nothing for me . It is too complicated, it doesn't have enough software available, the drivers for hardware are a bit iffy and it is not for me.................................................................

I perfectly understand where you are coming from but you did not say what software you want to work with or why you need drivers. If you could list the problems we can most probably give you solutions as there is plenty of software available out there in open source category.

I have no intention of bashing your post or to give adverse comments just because you do not feel comfortable yet using Linux. However, it would be much appreciated if you could list the problems you are having in terms of software and drivers.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
bootneck02 said:
Well I know you old boys and girls who are into Ubuntu and understand it are fine with it, but speaking as one who has been brought up with Windows I have tried Ubuntu twice and it does nothing for me . It is too complicated, it doesn't have enough software available, the drivers for hardware are a bit iffy and it is not for me. I appreciate that is free and individuals put a lot of time developing it and that with Windows is not all it is cracked up to be but it works and software houses do write software for it and hardware manufactures write drivers for their equipment and it is easily available via Google.

I think the major problem is that is no competition in Operating Systems as there is only three that I know Microsoft, Mac and Linux. The advantage of Linux is that it is free but lack of software choice and drivers, Mac the disadvantages expensive and you cannot buy the OS and put it on a PC (as far as I know) and Windows advantages plenty of software and compatible drivers and choice, easy to use. Disadvantages no real competition to keep prices low, costly as most software is expensive e.g Serif.

Until Linux can bring out a OS that is simple and makes it easy for the user with with little or no software experience to be able to us it it will continue to be a system for the aficionado with software names that baffle us as to what they do it will continue to be a OS for the technical people and not for the user who who wants to boot up and get on with enjoying their PC and not worry, it does what you want it to do.

https://humphreybc.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/white-house-and-french-police-adopt-linux/

If the French and the Americans can use GNU/Linux anyone can.
laughingsmiley.gif

As to it not being stable or useable, once again if an American grunt can use GNU/Linux anyone can
laughingsmiley.gif

"The U.S. Army’s Land Warrior program, the first stage of a far reaching battlefield information and communications system, leads a general move to Linux. The Army says that “Evidence shows that Linux is more stable”. Apparently the Army has issues with Microsoft’s “blue screen of death”."

Reaction score
Hi Quadophile one of the problems is I am using a Auzen X-Meridian card after installing Ubuntu and had to revert to the on board sound card which was sort of OK with Rock and Pop but was usless with Classical, Opera and Electronica. My major enjoyment is music and I use the PC to store and play (as the wife likes the TV and I cannot the inane programs on TV). As at the moment I have over 100 Gb of music on my hard drive which I downloaded and took several days to download onto Ubuntu. What the thing that realy P****** me off was when I tried take Ubuntu off I through inexperience not only took Ubuntu off then tried to re partision the hard drive which ended up and spitting out the dummy and ended up reinstalling Windows 7 and losing all my stored data and emails, I know I know, should have taken a back up only learns the hard way and an am backing up now religously now. Now I have completed the rebuild I am now downloading all my music again which will take me at least two or three days working late into the night.

Reaction score
Hi Abarbarian, I think what I am saying is that most of us who are not technofiles have been brought up with Windows and it is the conversion from to Windows to Linux is the thing we find difficult as with windows we are spoon fed and and thing I certainly found difficult was not down loading and forming a partision I had £300 gig for Ubuntu but taking it off as described in my previous message, because I did not feel comfortable with it and could not get the audio working to my satisfaction.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
bootneck02 said:
Hi Quadophile one of the problems is I am using a Auzen X-Meridian card after installing Ubuntu and had to revert to the on board sound card which was sort of OK with Rock and Pop but was usless with Classical, Opera and Electronica. My major enjoyment is music and I use the PC to store and play (as the wife likes the TV and I cannot the inane programs on TV). As at the moment I have over 100 Gb of music on my hard drive which I downloaded and took several days to download onto Ubuntu. What the thing that realy P****** me off was when I tried take Ubuntu off I through inexperience not only took Ubuntu off then tried to re partision the hard drive which ended up and spitting out the dummy and ended up reinstalling Windows 7 and losing all my stored data and emails, I know I know, should have taken a back up only learns the hard way and an am backing up now religously now. Now I have completed the rebuild I am now downloading all my music again which will take me at least two or three days working late into the night.

I feel sorry for you that you had to go through so much hassle. I had no idea that you were a music aficionado, also I did not have any info about your hardware, particularly the sound card.

Auzen X-Meridian sound card does have issues with Dolby and DTS capability and the company never released the driver for Linux, so yes these issues you point out are genuine and I can very well understand your frustration. However Ubuntu Linux can be tested out without installing it on the computer and that is one way of testing out the compatibility of the hardware with software. Instead of installing it if you had just tried it out the problems would surely have cropped up and you would have made the decision there and then.

100GB of music is a lot, may I ask what format you store it on? You may or may not know I am an audiophile too besides being a computer freak. My other hobbies include photography as well. Last but not least I sometimes do reviews of everything related to my three hobbies.

Anyway we are here to help and at any stage you feel you have a query, just post it on the forum. In future just make sure you elaborate your issue/problem and put forward any concerns you may have, that way your issues would be better handled and appropriate advise will be given by members here.

Once again I am sorry to know the experience has left a bad taste in your mouth.

Reaction score
Hi Quadophile thanks for the reply, Yes I do enjoy all genres of music and listen while I am working on the PC. I am ripping in Windows Media Audio Lossless at 470 to 940kbps mathematically lossless. My interest in music has transferred to my children who have both grown up and left home, my son took a degree in music at 34yo and and both plays and conducts brass bands, he plays soprano and bb Cornet and trumpet, mandolin and like has a wide range of musical interest including folk music. My daughter plays ephonioum again in brass bands. My interest in music was passed down from my mother who was a music teacher, unfortunatly I do not play any instrument just listen.

Reaction score
bootneck02,

I too am a Windows refugee for most everything I need a computer for, save one legacy program that only runs under Windows. Here is my own solution.

A possibility for you to consider is to use two computers, one running Windows and the other linux, connected to a single keyboard, video and mouse through an inexpensive KVM device. I use this myself. Running linux does not require as much in the way of hardware as Windows does, so an older box which you might have kept at your last upgrade will work fine. And the older box may be perfectly adequate for your music needs? The boxes sit side by side and so don't take up an inordinate amount of space.

So with the touch of a button you can jump between your Windoze box playing your music and your Ubunutu box.

As to stability, if Ubunutu is a 10, Windows is about a 5 or 6. Ubunutu linux is industrial strength stable, and far less susceptible to malware.

Your main complication seems to be the sound card. Yours is probably an expensive one and replacing it with something more linux friendly might well cost more than a good second hand box that is a generation back in specs.

BTW, I am only a noob at linux myself, but usually work through the occasional problem quickly with the help of the many great linux forums.

Just a thought.

Reaction score
I've Ubuntu 10.10 here beside Windows 7 on a partitioned hard drive.
I have never been able to get anything of any of the Ubuntu sound programs to produce a peep. I'll have Windows 7 up with music coming from the speakers (i.e., they all work) and switch to Ubuntu and zip, zilch, nada. Not Internet radio nor CD do anything. Is this a problematic upload (other stuff on the Ubuntu 10.10 seems to work fine)? Or is there a darker plot afoot?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Hello DPD! Welcome to PC Review. Glad you could make it :bow:

Now to your problem, could you give us some info on your sound card as to which one it is? Normally Ubuntu will automatically pick up the sound card and configure it during installation, could it be incompatibility issue?

Anyway before I could comment in the absence of what you hardware is, there is a troubleshoothing guide which will help you to find a solution hopefully. If not please come back and we will try to help you get the sound back.

Reaction score
All I can find is "High Definition Audio Device" and "High Definition Audio Controller." The <Device Manager> chart says that its maker is Microsoft.
If there's a specific brand name to be found, I'm not finding it.

Ask a Question