Your wisdom is needed

Reaction score
Im a bit of an amateur when it comes to computing and could use some help.
I am intrested in buying a laptop and have been looking at them for a few months now, i thought of getting a Mac then it dawned on me that alot of software is not compatible with a Mac. Im currently looking at HP.

Can anyone give me a bit of advice on who sells some good laptops? If possible id really like something with Intel Core Duo with 1GB memory.

Now i found this done by HP and it seems like a good deal to me but i shall say again, im an amateur. http://h41306.www4.hp.com/itemDetails?SID=d44afff7241f5d8a9474168ebe4c235e228:1223&sku=RP617EA
Any advice on this would be handy. Alot of you here seem to know what your talking about so i shall thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The spec of the HP is quite good for the price but it won't play many future games and will struggle with a few current day game releases.

However, I've heard lots of bad things about HP.

Toshiba are good. If you have a budget of £1K and your primary interest is games you want to be looking firstly at the graphics then at the system memory, hard disk size and CPU speed.

Novatech own brand I've heard good things about and some forum members favour IBM machines.

I'd steer clear of Dell, Compaq, and Mesh as well as HP.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Shinobi Strikes said:
Cheers for the advice. Not intrested in Dell, but ive never heard any bad about HP. Whats been said?

Not a great deal, tbh, but failure at 18 months has cropped up a few times plus problems with their recovery disk/Windows XP OS.

It may be ok though. Like I said, good spec and it's a good looker with a 17" screen.

See how much an upgrade from 256Mb Memory to 512Mb would cost, that will help a lot to makes games play smooth.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Shinobi Strikes said:
Thanks (once again :p ) Starting to think building a desktop would cost me less overall.

Much better option for gaming.

Laptops only have two advantages over desktops: size and portability.

In all other areas they suck :)

Reaction score
If you buy a laptop try Toshiba, Rockdirect or Novatech.
If buying a Desktop avoid Mesh Computers at all cost!

Ask a Question