19" TFT Advice

Reaction score
Hey,

My parents just emailed me to say they are going to buy a TFT monitor to save space in our study. They have a budget of £250 and i think they would probably like built in speakers to save space too. I was just wondering if you guys could give me some advice. They were looking at this one................

http://www.johnlewis.com/Computing/Computers/Computers/Monitors/230212731/Product.aspx

which to be honest looks pretty good for the price, although im not sure about HP monitors.

I did a quick search on the net, but didnt have a whole lot of time cause im about to go to work. I found this...................

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=64677

which i know doesnt have the speakers, but it looks ok.

Anyway, what do you guys think of these monitors? Or could you suggest other ones for around that price which would be a better option?

Thanks.

Oh, and have fun sleeping while im off to work!!! Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Yeh but Bodhi, think of the up side - you stand far more chance of catching a few sun rays than lots of us mortals on the forum!!!!!

Gabs xx

Reaction score
I was lying in the sun all day yesterday, at my outdoor pool that looks over the opera house!! ;-) I have got about a million mozzie bites today though.........................anyway, back to monitors!! ;-)

Reaction score
My Mucks, what makes it better, ive never heard of "Videoseven"?! :-/ HP & LG are makes ive heard of, and LG have a good reputation dont they?

Just wondering if i should point them in the videoseven direction?

Cheers.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
bodhi said:
My Mucks, what makes it better, ive never heard of "Videoseven"?! :-/ HP & LG are makes ive heard of, and LG have a good reputation dont they?

Just wondering if i should point them in the videoseven direction?

Cheers.
12ms is one good reason, 3 year OSW is another ... and it costs less. :D

I have never heard of an HP 'monitor' ... HP don't make their own monitors although they are good. "Lucky Goldstar" are reasonable reliable run of the mill.

You ask ... "I was just wondering if you guys could give me some advice" ... I gave.

I'm not twisting your arm ... and I'm NO TFT 'expert' ... ;)

To me a TFT is a personal choice ... I needed to "see" them, and it fitted my pocket. :D

Wait for some more replies, I'm sure the 'flat-pack' brigade will offer up some more suggestions. :cool:

Reaction score
Will do mate. Your advice is appreciated as is your usual prompt response! :) Im not TFT 'expert' either so i was looking for reasons so i could tell my parents what to go for with some reasons other than "HP suck". To be honest, they will probably get it from John Lewis anyway, cause they love shopping in that shop! :)

But any other replys from those in the know would be appreciated.

Thanks chaps.

Reaction score
Hey, where are all the TFT experts? Im looking for some help here guys, i need to let my parents know what they should spend their £250 on. Im not sure of what all the technical jargon means with TFT's, i was just going to point them to something with a name i had heard of and a low response time.

What do you guys think of this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...rements/ref=ed_tec_dp_2_1/026-0300004-8937239

My mum likes shopping on amazon and Acer are alright arn't then? Good response time?! They wont really need anything with digital connection will they? HELP!! :)

Bodhi

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Hey, where are all the TFT experts?
On holiday, back a week next month.

Samsung are fine PC equipment manufacturers.

:thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks mucks, was about to have myself committed for talking to myself!! So you think that monitor looks ok? It seems to have a good response time.

muckshifter

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Thanks mucks, was about to have myself committed for talking to myself!! So you think that monitor looks ok? It seems to have a good response time.
I don't know what it "looks like" but it comes from a good 'stable' and has good spec's.

It was important for me to actually "see" what the screen looked like before I bought my TFT ... I could not afford the price of my first choice, but I'm happy enough with what I got.

;)

Reaction score
bodhi said:
What do you guys think of this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...rements/ref=ed_tec_dp_2_1/026-0300004-8937239

My mum likes shopping on amazon and Acer are alright arn't then? Good response time?! They wont really need anything with digital connection will they? HELP!! :)

Bodhi

my vote goes for acer

get this one
ive got the same make except it is 17inches as opposed to your 19inch

ive found my acer screen to be of good quality
only one dragback with aer their customer support is very poor!
but i say get this one!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My quick input:

All of LG's products are unreliable in my experience, I've had a lot of bad luck with their stuff, as have other peeps I know. But Chris has a good LG TFT Monitor, so maybe they've got their act together. Maybe. Wouldn't touch 'em with a bargepole myself.

Onboard speakers are for the most part worthless and not worth having.

Response time is a very important factor to consider.

Get a monitor with a DVI input (and preferably with DVI cable supplied) for better imaging.

Philips; Viewsonic; Iiyama; Sony; Samsung are all good brands.

Check out supplier's dead pixel policy.

Reaction score
Thanks for getting involved guys. I cant actually look at the monitor cause im in oz and my folks are in scotland and wanting to get the monitor which is the problem. I know onboard speakers are useless, but i dont think they are going to use them really. I might suggest the Acer monitor, it seems to get good reviews on the site and PSD seems to have used one by them and it's ok. Comes with a 3 year OSW aswell i think which is good. And even if Acer customer support is bad, the first port of call will be amazon who are alright i think. So, Acer it is unless anyone has any objections?! :)

Oh, and if this post doesnt make any sense, apologies, im pretty ****ed, and it's taken me about 45 mins to write it!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't know much about Acer but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Having said that, I've seen a lot of Acer Monitors in use in schools.

With a budget of £250.00 for a 19" TFT, here's a few to consider, the first one seems really good to me:

Samsung; 8ms; VGA & DVI Inputs; No Speakers; £255.00

Iiyama; 8ms; Speakers; only VGA input; £239.00

Philips; 8ms; No speakers; only VGA input; £229.00

Viewsonic; 8ms; VGA & DVI inputs; No speakers; £271.00

Were I in the market, I'd definitely go for the first one listed, the Samsung.

And remember, sad but true but you only get what you pay for ;)

Good luck :)

Ask a Question