Choosing a Mobo! What a Headache!

Reaction score
Hey all, looking for a bit of advice really. Looking at Mobos for my build and finding it really hard to decide! I'm lookin at single slot PCI-e boards. I've done loads of research on this (reviews and forums) and what gets me is that with mostly every brand theress countless posts about people having problems with what ever board ther're using!! For example the ASUS A8n-e and its poxy fan. Just a bit dishearting really :(

Obviously not many post in forums saying 'everythink ok with my board!' but for people like me who are looking for a reasonably trouble free 1st bulid its all a bit scary! So any one with suggestion or experiences with good PCI-e mobos drop a reply. Also rumours say that the fan problem was fixed on new versions of the ASUS but not much info around on that!

P.S try to avoid if can linking reviews... like i said i've read ALOT of reviews about every board under the sun!!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Top motherboard

Well would recommend my motherboard that works well, is on 12 hours a day and does the job, in fact it's the best motherboard i have used to date, cooling works fine with cpu, has 2 side fans and temps are all ok for a pc working at 100% all day:thumb:

Except you probably don't want to hear that it's an Asus A8N-E

May be throw this over to fellow crunchers who also have their pc's on for most if not all of the day.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Another Asus A8N-E ... crunching 24/7

What is the problem with the fan? ... non here. ;)

Lets just clear one thing up ... ANY fan is going to fail, and I personally would bin the 'effin lot of them, but Asus originally did fit a shyte fan ... cannot see any reason why they just didn't use a "passive" HS, but there you go.

It is still one of the best single PCI-E motherboards on the market. :thumb:

Reaction score
I always take at least a month or so deciding what board to buy. Your right it is a big decision and you want to to be right. It is after all the backbone of your PC, and its gotta last you hopefully a few years if you look ahead like I do.

Not personally used ASUS myself but have heard good and bad about them from reviews and personal messages from close friends.

I tend to stick to either ABIT or GIGABYTE they seem to develope some truely fantastic boards IMO that I have never had any problems with apart from the usual fan things. But all fans go on every motherboard eventually a lot of them just arent made to last 24/7 365 like a lot of us on here run their computers by.

I'm sure you will make the correct decision and if you need help and advise, well there are enough of us here to give it and be very opinionated along the way aswell ;)

Good luck

Reaction score
My IC7 G is on 24/7
My Parents IC7-G is on 20/7

Both had to have chipset fans replaced. Both as solid as you like. Top boards

Reaction score
Damn look at the size of tht NB heatsink lol

I wish I could get a bigger heatsink on my boards but the main GFX card in PCI-E cover it. Shame really, little bit less noise

Reaction score
A8n-e

Asus A8N-E is my motherboard of choice, does exactly what it say's on the box;)

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise everyone! Guess your right about the fan failing as being inevitable, all boards seem to have good and bad aspects and the Asus A8N-e has got some good reviews and suits my needs! Plus with people already using it on this form, support should be plentiful!

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
At the end of the day the best product advice is often from those who use the product

Ask a Question