Why are so many people threatened by Vista?

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Adam

Thanks for the lessons on how to be the ultimate primadonna.. you are an
excellent coach.. you must have practiced for years to hone such fine
skills..

Adam Albright said:
It seems more likely some MVP's feel threatened when everytime a new
version of Windows comes out more experienced users visit for awhile
and well lets be honest, make the MVP's look kind of dumb.

Don't worry, I've about had it with the primadonna types and will be
leaving soon so you can have your playpen back to strut around in.

ROTFLMAO!

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Adam Albright

It's shameful for me to speak my mind?

Earlier you told me not to speak my mind. Now you saying this is an open
discussion group. If it's an open group to discuss our opinions why are mine
invalid?

You're confused. If you want to make a fool of yourself, be my guest.
I have no problems with people posting critques of Vista. I welcome it. If
you read some of my replies to well thought out critques you will see this.
Newsgroups should be all about open debate. That's hard to do here as this
thread attests. I asked a troll question but it is a valid question. There
has been little debate or attempts to answer the question and a lot of
preconceived attacks against people's favourite targets, Vista. MVPs,
Microsoft, whatever, exactly what I was complaining about.

You obviously haven't read many of my posts. I like Vista and generally
defend it here because I feel there are too many trolls who blindly attack
anything anyone says about Vista. I post in many other online forums and
newsgroups. I am very critical of Microsoft when I feel they deserve it.

So am I, yet if I'm critical you think you have a right to label me
and others that factually present real documented issues as trolls.
I rarely post to threads like this, except on Sundays which I reserve for
having fun. This was troll post to elicit debate. It didn't work as it has
quickly degenerated into the standard "You stink and so do your relatives."
which is too bad. I think some people are threatened by Vista and was trying
to figure out how an OS could threaten someone. If you don't like it use one
of the many very good alternatives.

You're just a typical up-tight MVP that pretends they know Windows. I
actually DO know Windows. See the difference? No, of course not, hence
the problem with so-called Microsoft supports groups. Way too many
MVP's blindly defending Windows without really knowing what they're
talking about then if out debated cop-out and almost always tell the
guy they're trying to pick a fight with to 'if you don't like it use
something else'. Priceless!

Nina DiBoy

Kerry said:
Then don't load it on your computer if you feel that way. There are many
good alternatives to Vista.

Hi Kerry. I will load it on my machine, but as a secondary OS as my
primary use set ups are in XP and Fedora core 6. I will install Vista
for messing with and finding things to complain about. I will not
transfer any critical stuff to my vista partition though, otherwise it
will threaten me. I ended up with a free copy and license of Vista
through some MS offer, might as well do something with it.

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

Most recent idiotic quote added to KICK (Klassic Idiotic Caption Kooks):
"You can get dog shi* for free also!"

"Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
- T. S. Eliot

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Adam

You have read the history of Windows, selected the negative aspects of it,
and now come in here armed only with your political debating style with the
express intention of causing upset.. I would suggest that you know nothing
of the technical aspects, as you have not once tried to help anybody.. many
of us are well aware of the history, but the existence of this newsgroup is
not to go over it countless times, but to help others with what tools are
available to get the best from what they have purchased and would like to
use..

Would you like to tell everybody here what you have done towards that goal?

Adam Albright said:
[...]

Just more self-serving BS from another MVP. Typical. I have both
praised Vista and taken it to task for what it fails to do. Shame
MVP's can't be that objective. I'm not the enemy, just another
messenger. Why are MVP's always so defensive? Customers aren't mad at
you, they're mad at spending lots of $$$$$ for something that is
poorly implemented and here you guys are blindly defending it.

You want to help, start addressing some the issues I raised and
detailed with UAC. It seems that's one of the main issues most people
have lots of trouble with. For good reason, it doesn't work as
advertisied and Microsoft knows it.
Would you like to tell everybody here what you have done towards that goal?

Don't know how to use Google? I've posted quite a few detailed how-to
posts here. All I ever see MVP's doing is making excuses for Microsoft
and telling people that have already purchases Vista if they don't
like it, go back to using XP or some other smart ass comment. You
really think that's what Microsoft had in mind when it created the MVP
program?

Charlie Wilkes

Since Vista has been released this newsgroup has deteriorated from a
place where people get help to a place where Linux, Mac, and even
previous versions of Windows trolls endlessly post diatribes about how
bad Vista is. There are always a few trolls in every newsgroup but this
group in particular seems to have far more than normal. I can only come
to the conclusion that these people are somehow threatened by Vista. Why
else would they feel the need to denigrate it with such vehemence? It
would be much easier to ignore it and continue using their favourite OS.
If Vista is really that bad the marketplace will reject it. We only need
to look at Windows Me to see this is true. My question to all the trolls
is: Why is Vista so threatening to you?
I can only speak for myself. My reason for being here is because I'm
interested in the direction technology is going. Naturally I've got my
own ideas and theories, and I put them out in this group to attract
discussion. If that makes me a troll, so be it.

As for feeling "threatened," I think it's true that many people do feel
that way. Vista apparently indexes and analyzes the data on systems that
run it, for the sake of protecting intellectual property rights. That
might work in theory, but I suspect the scripts will get the story
straight about as often as MS Word correctly autoformats my bullet-point
documents, which is never. Already people are reporting cases in which
their data was destroyed by Vista.

Also, Microsoft apparently has the ability to cripple or modify the OS if
it believes some contractual violation in the EULA has occurred. Well,
guess what? I don't trust Microsoft any more than Microsoft trusts me.
History shows that large, impersonal corporations can and do abuse power
when it falls into their hands.

These, I believe, are the issues that cause people to feel "threatened"
by Windows Vista.

Charlie

Adam Albright

I can only speak for myself. My reason for being here is because I'm
interested in the direction technology is going. Naturally I've got my
own ideas and theories, and I put them out in this group to attract
discussion. If that makes me a troll, so be it.

The typical result in any Microsoft support group infested with
smart-ass MVP's is to automatically label anyone that don't agree with
them a "troll". Of course they really get upset when you start to show
them up and hit them over the head with documented facts. Welcome to
the party. This is after all as the name on the door says a PUBLIC
newsgroup.

Alias

Charlie said:
[...]

Wow.

Alias

Donald L McDaniel

Since Vista has been released this newsgroup has deteriorated from a place
where people get help to a place where Linux, Mac, and even previous
versions of Windows trolls endlessly post diatribes about how bad Vista is.
There are always a few trolls in every newsgroup but this group in
particular seems to have far more than normal. I can only come to the
conclusion that these people are somehow threatened by Vista. Why else would
they feel the need to denigrate it with such vehemence? It would be much
easier to ignore it and continue using their favourite OS. If Vista is
really that bad the marketplace will reject it. We only need to look at
Windows Me to see this is true. My question to all the trolls is: Why is
Vista so threatening to you?

People are ALWAYS threatened by new things. This is part of human nature,
and it certainly did not start with the release of Vista or any other OS,
for that matter.

What you are seeing is the SAME we were seeing with the release of Windows
95, Windows 98, and Windows XP.

Let's face it, people just don't like change in any event.
I assure you, the same ones who are bitching and moaning now will be
extoling the virtues of Vista to all their friends in 6 months.

As the writer of Proverbs says " 'Bad, bad', says the buyer, then he goes
his way afterward, and boasts in his purchase" (my free paraphrase).

People forget all about the bad qualities of their "toys" once they get
used to using them, and only see their good qualities. After all, who
wants to admit that he probably made a bad purchase?

No one, since we are all convinced of our financial wisdom, and don't want
to admit a lack of such wisdom, especially to our friends. So we
conveniently forget the bad qualities fairly soon..

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread and newsgroup

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Adam

We suggest what is best for the user at the present time, and if the user
has mission critical software that is not presently Vista compatible, it
makes sense to go back to XP..

I have never and would never suggest that a person having bought a Vista box
should go back to XP, BUT..

.... it is the responsibility of the purchaser of ANY product to look into
the suitability of the product for the scenario in which it will be
utilized.. this is not a 'get out' on my part or on the part of any other
MVP, but pure common sense..

We do NOT summarily make excuses for Microsoft.. one of the benefits to MS
is that we are 'independents, not affiliated to, working for, or paid by
MS..

I can see that in an environment where users are not as aware as they maybe
should be, that UAC is a very good thing.. I personally do not like it, and
it was the very first change I made.. I exercise my right to not use it, and
MS live with that quite happily.. they did, after all, put in a mechanism by
which it can be turned on and off..

What I do NOT do is call Vista a POC because UAC is included.. neither do I
advise everybody to turn it off just because I don't like it.. I also do not
like the time that Vista takes to move files around, BUT..

... MS have made it public that Vista SP1 is a work in progress.. that is not
to say that Vista as it stands now is hugely deficient or a POC.. while
there are undoubtedly issues for some users, a large amount are happy with
Vista, and it does all and more for them.. over the next few months, some of
the disgruntled users will get drivers from hardware manufacturers, if the
manufacturer decides to release them of course, and alternatives to programs
that do not presently work will be found by end users or they will purchase
the Vista compatible versions of the programs that they have come to like..
meanwhile, updates and the forthcoming SP1 service pack will Endeavour to
fix the issues that can cause some users to have problems..

There is no OS that is not a work in progress, be it a version of Unix like
AIX, Linux, Mac OS or Windows.. they all need work at some stage, and Mac OS
X was absolutely no exception, having to have fixes applied within hours of
being released..

At no time have I or any other MVP denigrated any other OS (other than
Windows ME - remember that some actually gotten it to work and liked it),
nor would we because we recognize that each OS has it's place in the IT
world, and that the aforementioned IT world would not be as accomplished as
it is if any one of the operating systems was to disappear from the scene..

So far, your appearance in this newsgroup has done nothing but produce
ridiculous arguments.. instead of cutting and running, as you stated in
another post, why don't you use your self confessed knowledge of Windows to
help people in here, and quit using it as political leverage against
Microsoft.. if you are scared that, by doing so, you maybe nominated as MVP
material, I am sure that we can come to an agreement with you that will save
your pride.. :)

Adam Albright said:
[...]

PUBLIC doe not infer the right to act like a wild pig, or to deliberately
goad and taunt a group of people who try to help those who ask for it..

Adam Albright said:
[...]

Wow, that's got to be the most flowerly self-servings post I ever
seen. Maybe you should consider a political future.

Why do MVP's feel threatend by my presence?

Adam Albright

PUBLIC doe not infer the right to act like a wild pig, or to deliberately
goad and taunt a group of people who try to help those who ask for it..

Why are you threatened by the truth?

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Adam

You don't threaten us.. what you do, along with others, is bring disruption
to a place where people are looking for solutions that will work and help
them.. they are not looking to come into a storm of political anti-MS
rhetoric..

Adam Albright said:
Wow, that's got to be the most flowerly self-servings post I ever
seen. Maybe you should consider a political future.

Why do MVP's feel threatend by my presence?

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Whose truth? Yours? Is Adam Albright the second coming, here to give us all
another chance at recognizing the universal truth? I don't think so, and I
doubt others do..

Adam Albright said:
Why are you threatened by the truth?

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Adam Albright

Adam

You don't threaten us.. what you do, along with others, is bring disruption
to a place where people are looking for solutions that will work and help
them.. they are not looking to come into a storm of political anti-MS
rhetoric..

There is nothing disruptive about the discussion of problems people
are experiencing in Vista. Hint: That's what this newsgroup for. You
seem to think you and others MVP's are suppose to be cheerleaders for
Microsoft. I thought it was a MVP's purpose to help people. I see most
MVP's whining like little babies day in, day out. Maybe you should
take a break instead of asking me to do the job you apparently wanted.

Adam Albright

Whose truth? Yours? Is Adam Albright the second coming, here to give us all
another chance at recognizing the universal truth? I don't think so, and I
doubt others do..

If you continue to try to make it personal I will take the time to
report you for you breaking your pledge when you became a MVP. Now
knock it off. I overlooked your previous smart-ass comments to me, no
longer. You're a disgrace to Microsoft. I'm tired of your acting like
a spoiled little primadona that thinks he can bully posters he don't
like. Either act like a MVP is suppose to act or risk getting kicked
out on your ass.

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Adam

We were all just regular people in here, still are, helping others and
learning too.. along the way, we picked up an award from MS for our
contributions to their newsgroups.. it isn't a 'job' that we wanted.. it was
and remains something that we do voluntarily..

And still you come back with goads and taunts.. I guess that is your true
level.. it would certainly appear that way.. Wiedersehen..

Adam Albright said:
[...]

If seems MVP's are the ones trying to taunt and goad starting threads
like this one titled "Why are so many people threatened by Vista?"
Nobody is, what's obvious is some MVP's run away from issues people
raise and try to discredit the people that document problems.

One such example is the blind defense of UAC. You know it flawed.
Microsoft knows it is flawed. Everyone knows it is causing great pain
and distruption to countless users, yet MVPs try to do ridicule and
say we the CUSTOMERS don't understand it. I think we understand all
too well. It badly implementend. What's irony is I'm guess you and
most MVPs have been fooling around with Vista for months, some well
over a year and I discovered more wrong with it then all of you
combined in a just a few days.