Why are so many people threatened by Vista?

johnm

Alias said:
Threatened? How can an OS threaten anyone?

That's actually a good choice of words Alias... since it's the Microsofties
that feel "threatened" anytime ANYone disses their beloved company or
products.
They have an surreal emotional attachment to this software, and they tend to
react as though you were bad-mouthing one of their kids.
It's fun and entertaining to watch, but scary at the same time. To most
people, an OS is just a tool, not unlike a stapler or a can opener - it's a
tool to allow you to get some form of work done - period. To the zombies,
it is sooo much more.

Funny too, that Kerry chose to state "Why else would they feel the need to
denigrate it with such vehemence?"
Uhm, I could ask a similar question - Why do the zombies feel such a need to
defend it with such religious zealotry?
Geezus, you got people in here so over the top that they're inventing
marketing slogans on MS's behalf and using them in their sigs...
My Personal Favorite: <shouted with little girl glee for effect> "Windows
VISTA! Become Part of The Legacy!" all that's missing is the pom poms.
sheesh give me a break, or better yet, a barf bag.

I would bet anything, ANYTHING, that there are people in this group sporting
tattoos of MS products or logos.

Personally, I think the very people you call trolls are only doing so,
simply because of how EASY it is, to get a rise out of you toads.

Oh, and to the OP, is this isn't considered "trolling" I don't know what
is....

Dale White

I don't think I fall into the troll group, as I do try to spend most of my
time helping (in Vista.games) then I do complaining. But as I said early,
Microsoft has me (a life long Gamer) by the balls, because if I want to play
the pretty new DX10 games, I'm required to run Vista. And Vista runs slower
than XP and despite the video driver changes to make it more stable, Vista
gives me way more BSODs then XP.

I still wonder if you let the gamers have DX10 for vista, how much slower
Vista would roll out. I don't think it would be a huge difference, but of
the hard core circle I hang in, everyone is gearing up to go to Vista once
the DX10 games start rolling out. Maybe we'll see that DX10 doesn't offer
enough to make the move, and the DX9 flavor of the game looks 95% as good,
if that's the case, then back to XP I'll go and leave Vista to those who
really want it

So if I fall into the troll group, it's because I'm a bit bitter about my
options

ray

Since Vista has been released this newsgroup has deteriorated from a place
where people get help to a place where Linux, Mac, and even previous
versions of Windows trolls endlessly post diatribes about how bad Vista is.
There are always a few trolls in every newsgroup but this group in
particular seems to have far more than normal. I can only come to the
conclusion that these people are somehow threatened by Vista. Why else would
they feel the need to denigrate it with such vehemence? It would be much
easier to ignore it and continue using their favourite OS. If Vista is
really that bad the marketplace will reject it. We only need to look at
Windows Me to see this is true. My question to all the trolls is: Why is
Vista so threatening to you?

I can't answer that question, but I can ask the same question of
comp.os.linux.advocacy where the number of MS trolls usually surpasses the
number of actual linux advocates - Why is Linux so threatening to you?

Nina DiBoy

Alias said:
Threatened? How can an OS threaten anyone?

Alias

My thought is that the only way it can threaten me is if I load it on my
computer. Then it can threaten my privacy, my pocketbook, and my
control over my machine with buggy DRM.

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

Most recent idiotic quote added to KICK (Klassic Idiotic Caption Kooks):
"You can get dog shi* for free also!"

"Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
- T. S. Eliot

Nina DiBoy

Adam said:
How many trolls have MVP behind their name?

At least a couple that I know of. Kerry is not one of them.
For any MVP to even start a thread like this is SHAMEFUL and I assure
your will likely get the attention of someone in Redmond.

While I accept that you have your own opinion here Adam, I don't see
this post quite as extremely as you do. I think this post does show
Kerry's bias towards MS, but that's no crime. My posts show my bias
too. I think this post also shows that Kerry feels fed up with the
amount of off topic trolling that has gone on in here lately. And that
makes perfect sense.
You see the more experienced usenet posters,(obviously not you) have
seen it all before and far more clearly than those evangelizing for
Vista, which seems to be a requirement to the current crop of
Microsoft shills, oops... I mean a MVP's and those wishing to become
one.

My answer to your question, more your childish and totally
inappropriate rant, is why can't you be objective?

Let me explain life to you Kerry, since you seem to have a distorted
view where the Microsoft sun always shines brightly.

1. Most people that visit this newsgroup likely are already Windows
users and either already have purchased Vista or are considering
doing so.

2. People that have already purchased Vista like to discuss issues
that they have run into both installing and using Vista. The
people that are sitting on the fence and trying to make up their
minds if they are going to upgrade now or wait awhile appreciate
those that have already taken the plunge discussing what problems
they've run into and also what features they like and those they
don't like.

3. It may come as a shock to some MVP's who are often seen as
apologists, but I can tell you Microsoft actually encourages
a open discussion of its products in these newsgroups as opposed to
MVP's simply being cheer leaders.

4. Vista has flaws. All new versions of Windows do, always have,
always will. That's par for course for all software, more so for
operating systems. Simply because experienced users point out
problems doesn't mean they don't like Vista or that they are
attacking it or are somehow "jealous" of it or feel threatened by
it. That's really over the top Kerry.

5. Your job and obviously you and some other MVP's have forgot, isn't
to blindly support Microsoft or cheer for Vista and label those
that raise real issues as trolls. Your function is TO HELP people.
All too often the same MVP's rant, rave and look down on posters,
who are as I said previously mostly Microsoft customers.

I can assure you Microsoft executives (I know some) do NOT appreciate
MVP's running amok. In short what I'm reminding you of, remember your
place. You're just a volunteer. You are not a employee and you're not
expected to just be a apple polisher.

Be objective and try to help people if you can. If you can't, maybe
its time for you and other uptight MVP's also showing signs of stress
to take a break, because it sounds like you suffering from burn-out.

There will always be somebody that knows as much likely more to pick
up the slack, so no, you won't be missed and I won't be missed either
when I get tired of posting. That's just life. I understand these
things, apparently you don't or have fogetten.

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

Most recent idiotic quote added to KICK (Klassic Idiotic Caption Kooks):
"You can get dog shi* for free also!"

"Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
- T. S. Eliot

Nina DiBoy

Adam said:
Did I mention there are also a lot of sheep in this newsgroup that
blindly follow anything some MVP says no matter what?

They are referred to as sheeple.
Here's a radical thought, I like to decide things for myself. Try it
sometime. A real eye opening experience.

--

Nina said:
My thought is that the only way it can threaten me is if I load it on my
computer.
True.

Then it can threaten my privacy, my pocketbook, and my
control over my machine with buggy DRM.

Good point.

Alias

Cyn

It's not threatening. It just cost me three days of Googling, fixing, fussing, sweating and swearing before I got it to work the way it should've when I upgraded. And THEN I discovered I couldn't fax anymore. That's not being threatened. That's being a disgruntled consumer.

Cyn

Kerry Brown

Alias said:
Threatened? How can an OS threaten anyone?

Alias

I agree with you on this. That was why I asked the question. From many of
the posts it seems to me that some people are exhibiting the classic flee or
attack response to a threat and have picked the attack response. Why would
anyone be threatened by an OS? It's ludicrous. It's almost as silly as being
afraid of the bogeyman. I have no problem with people posting critiques of
Vista or even posts that say "I think Vista is crap." and leave it there.
What surprises me and made me ask the question is the number of people that
answer every post with "Dump Vista it's crap. Get xxx and life will be
better.". There will always be trolls that do this but the amount of them
here is staggering. I can only conclude that they must be threatened
somehow.

Kerry Brown

johnm said:
[...]

Of course it's a troll. I was rather transparent about it. It looks like it
worked. How does it feel on the other end of the line?

Kerry Brown

Nina DiBoy said:
My thought is that the only way it can threaten me is if I load it on my
computer. Then it can threaten my privacy, my pocketbook, and my control
over my machine with buggy DRM.

Then don't load it on your computer if you feel that way. There are many
good alternatives to Vista.

Kerry Brown

Adam Albright said:
How many trolls have MVP behind their name?

For any MVP to even start a thread like this is SHAMEFUL and I assure
your will likely get the attention of someone in Redmond.

It's shameful for me to speak my mind?
3. It may come as a shock to some MVP's who are often seen as
apologists, but I can tell you Microsoft actually encourages
a open discussion of its products in these newsgroups as opposed to
MVP's simply being cheer leaders.

Earlier you told me not to speak my mind. Now you saying this is an open
discussion group. If it's an open group to discuss our opinions why are mine
invalid?
4. Vista has flaws. All new versions of Windows do, always have,
always will. That's par for course for all software, more so for
operating systems. Simply because experienced users point out
problems doesn't mean they don't like Vista or that they are
attacking it or are somehow "jealous" of it or feel threatened by
it. That's really over the top Kerry.

I have no problems with people posting critques of Vista. I welcome it. If
you read some of my replies to well thought out critques you will see this.
Newsgroups should be all about open debate. That's hard to do here as this
thread attests. I asked a troll question but it is a valid question. There
has been little debate or attempts to answer the question and a lot of
preconceived attacks against people's favourite targets, Vista. MVPs,
Microsoft, whatever, exactly what I was complaining about.
5. Your job and obviously you and some other MVP's have forgot, isn't
to blindly support Microsoft or cheer for Vista and label those
that raise real issues as trolls. Your function is TO HELP people.
All too often the same MVP's rant, rave and look down on posters,
who are as I said previously mostly Microsoft customers.

You obviously haven't read many of my posts. I like Vista and generally
defend it here because I feel there are too many trolls who blindly attack
anything anyone says about Vista. I post in many other online forums and
newsgroups. I am very critical of Microsoft when I feel they deserve it.
Be objective and try to help people if you can. If you can't, maybe
its time for you and other uptight MVP's also showing signs of stress
to take a break, because it sounds like you suffering from burn-out.

I rarely post to threads like this, except on Sundays which I reserve for
having fun. This was troll post to elicit debate. It didn't work as it has
quickly degenerated into the standard "You stink and so do your relatives."
which is too bad. I think some people are threatened by Vista and was trying
to figure out how an OS could threaten someone. If you don't like it use one
of the many very good alternatives.

Pumpkin

Adam Albright said:
[...]

I agree with this post. I read the op's post and was totally blown away
that he was a so-called 'MVP'. He's not objective at all, sort of pissy and
sulky. I would rather get support from the average Vista user than from an
'MVP' like this one.

Pumpkin

It's not threatening. It just cost me three days of Googling, fixing, fussing, sweating and swearing before I got it to work the way it should've when I upgraded. And THEN I discovered I couldn't fax anymore. That's not being threatened. That's being a disgruntled consumer.

Cyn

Me too, I've had my new computer for two weeks now and have gotten very little work done. Everytime I think I get something fixed, something else pops up. I'm not threatened in the least, frustrated for sure but not threatened.

johnm

Kerry Brown said:
Of course it's a troll. I was rather transparent about it. It looks like
it worked. How does it feel on the other end of the line?

Hehe. nice try, but too late i'm afraid

Adam Albright

I agree with you on this. That was why I asked the question. From many of
the posts it seems to me that some people are exhibiting the classic flee or
attack response to a threat and have picked the attack response. Why would
anyone be threatened by an OS? It's ludicrous. It's almost as silly as being
afraid of the bogeyman. I have no problem with people posting critiques of
Vista or even posts that say "I think Vista is crap." and leave it there.
What surprises me and made me ask the question is the number of people that
answer every post with "Dump Vista it's crap. Get xxx and life will be
better.". There will always be trolls that do this but the amount of them
here is staggering. I can only conclude that they must be threatened
somehow.

It seems more likely some MVP's feel threatened when everytime a new
version of Windows comes out more experienced users visit for awhile
and well lets be honest, make the MVP's look kind of dumb.

Don't worry, I've about had it with the primadonna types and will be
leaving soon so you can have your playpen back to strut around in.

ROTFLMAO!

Kerry Brown

Adam Albright said:
It seems more likely some MVP's feel threatened when everytime a new
version of Windows comes out more experienced users visit for awhile
and well lets be honest, make the MVP's look kind of dumb.

Don't worry, I've about had it with the primadonna types and will be
leaving soon so you can have your playpen back to strut around in.

ROTFLMAO!

You keep claiming to be an expert but don't back it up by helping anyone or
answering any questions of a technical nature.