virgin from the paper

Reaction score
TRUTH,LIES, AND BROABAND

The thing is ADSL uses your phone line so it slow down the further you live from the exchange.

This means you might not be getting the speed you pay for. Most broadband companies would,t tell you that.

But what virgin fails to tell you is you can only sign up to some isp, try bt,sky,tiscali on cable it will not work.

As for the cable tv we get alot of break up in the signal alot of times.

Sky tv does offer well more channel, If your on sky your sim card will work anywhere with a Satellite.

Try getting cable to work say in Caravan when on hoilday over in the uk.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm quite confused Michael, do you mean that if you use Virgin Media you can only use their internet services? I think it's always been like that with cable companies like NTL and Telewest?

The same with ADSL, although companies say "up to 8MB" or whatever it happens to be - yes it may only be 3MB, but that is just due to the technical limitations of how far you live away. Quite often there is a speed estimator on most sites (I get about 4-6MB where I am), but I don't really see how they could do it any other way. If for example you paid £5 per MB speed you could get, then people would be forced to pay higher if they happened to live near an exchange. It is the same cost to the company if you live 200m away and can get 8MB, or 5km away and can only get 4MB.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Your a funny bloke Mike ...

ADSL is NOT broadband, never has, never will be ... however, BT along with a few other companies, had the Broadband "terminology" changed to incorporate ADSL ... search the archives here in the forums, I have stated and showen this to be so.

Until more companies go around digging up the street and install "proper" broadband using fibre optic cable you is stuck in yesteryear. :wave:

Maybe we can lease NTL/Telewest/Virgin fibre optic cable for BT ... :lol:

:user:

Reaction score
Yeah, but you don't ever get full speed with Virign, even though they based their whole campsign on getting full speed!

All companies are liars. Especially NTL :p

Reaction score
i get the full speed and i'm on Virgin cable. Granted the speed dips a bit at peak times. but generally it's fine. expensive but it's the best connection i've ever had.

muckshifter

Reaction score
PG ... the speed of light is 1,079,252,848.8 km/h ... It takes the light from the Sun 8.5 mins to reach us ... this is assuming everything is constant and is in a vacuum.

However, the speed of light in a 'medium', such as a fibre optic cable is calculated ... Refractive index of the medium = [Speed of light in a vacuum/Speed of light in the medium] ... so, the reflective resistance of the core plays an important roll here, the index of refraction is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in another medium ... there are different types of fibre optic cables ... single core being the best, but you won't get that as the cable co., need to supply everyone in the street, and not just you. ;)

Your blanket statement "All companies are liars" is a load of bollocks. :thumb:

One day you will realise ... a Company's sole goal in life is ... to make a profit. Deal with it, "customers" are just a means to an end. :nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
One day you will realise ... a Company's sole goal in life is ... to make a profit. Deal with it, "customers" are just a means to an end. :nod:

Absolutely true, kinda obvious, really.

However, customers do actually have a choice and companies can provide a good service or a bad service. Thus are loyalties formed and free enterprise almost works ;)

I have ADSL, I get download speeds between 3mb & 6mb depending on time of day. I find your statement of ADSL isn't true Broadband to be, well - bollocks :)

(You started it)

Since I changed my service from 512K to 'Up to 8Mb' I can actually notice a huge difference when downloading a Linux ISO of several Gigabytes.

And you're telling me ADSL ain't true Broadband?

Prove it.

Is Cable true broadband then? A system that dictates your speeds determined by how many other users are online? Colour me skeptical, but I'm not convinced.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
PG ... the speed of light is 1,079,252,848.8 km/h ... It takes the light from the Sun 8.5 mins to reach us ... this is assuming everything is constant and is in a vacuum.

However, the speed of light in a 'medium', such as a fibre optic cable is calculated ... Refractive index of the medium = [Speed of light in a vacuum/Speed of light in the medium] ... so, the reflective resistance of the core plays an important roll here, the index of refraction is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in another medium ... there are different types of fibre optic cables ... single core being the best, but you won't get that as the cable co., need to supply everyone in the street, and not just you. ;)

Your blanket statement "All companies are liars" is a load of bollocks. :thumb:

Thanks for that ever so optimistic view on things there Mucks...:D

The only point I was making was I pay loads and get sod all. And there are no other cable companies, so I don't really have a choice since they bought Telewest :(.

muckshifter

Reaction score
And you're telling me ADSL ain't true Broadband?
It wasn't, but as I said, it was redefined to incorporate Telephone Lines ... which has gotten better over time with new equipment. Don't confuse 'Broadband' with 'Bandwidth' ... One benefit to ADSL is, you won't be competing for bandwidth with neighbours in your area. :thumb:

Prove it.
I can't ... not yet, I will find the original White Paper, one day, if I'm board enough. :p

Various definers of broadband have assigned a minimum data rate to the term ... greater than a voice grade line of 3 KHz...some say, it should be at least, 20 KHz. A broadband channel is "6 MHz wide."

Is Cable true broadband then? A system that dictates your speeds determined by how many other users are online? Colour me skeptical, but I'm not convinced.
Yep, the more people on your 'cable' line, the less speed you is gonna see ... Also, these 'cables' are primarily TV lines. ;)

I would still love to have 'Cable' in my area ... :D

user.gif

sol

Reaction score
uh oh i see theres still arguments over ntl/telewest/virgin media whichever you want to call it nowdays.ime with virgin & as for probelms i get a slow connection & lose all my tv channels everytime it rains,yes they have been out several times with the usual reply of `sorry we cant find anything wrong` & if you want a laugh they actually sent me a phone bill for all calls made to germany costing eighty nine pounds before we were even connected-i did get a years free telly out of the complaint i sent them though.oh & if your travelling at the speed of light-do you need your headlights on

Reaction score
Sky and cable are at it again in the paper.

Sky going on about the call charge virgin customer pay for help.

Sad both these company are at each other.

Ask a Question