Virgin/BT or Sky TV

Reaction score
My parents currently have a Sky TV customer for HD, Broadband & Phone but the bill seems very high?
So looking at either Virgin Media or BT.
Package would need to include: All of Sky Sports/Fox/Discovery Channel/Broadband & Phone.
Both Virgin & BT look cheaper but have high set up costs.

What are others on etc or have a view on?

Reaction score
New customers on Virgin usually have free installation. Tell them you coming over from BT.
However Virgin have increased their prices 7 times in 4 years

My bill originally was 22£ pm for BB.
It is now 34pm

They did not stick to their promised 2 year price freeze when I joined and did not care when I kicked up a fuss
However I cannot get a better speed that I know of anywhere

100mb

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
May also be worth just phoning Sky up and let them know you're about to leave. We were about to leave it and stick to Netflix, so called to cancel and got 50% off for a year. 2nd time it's happened in a row, so for that price I can't complain :).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
May also be worth just phoning Sky up and let them know you're about to leave. We were about to leave it and stick to Netflix, so called to cancel and got 50% off for a year. 2nd time it's happened in a row, so for that price I can't complain :).

This.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Between BT and Virgin, definitely go for Virgin, BT are one of the worst companies I've ever known.

However, I'd try what Ian suggested, these companies are desperate for customers.

I had a 2 year mobile phone contract with Virgin and when it expired I requested to leave so they phoned me and offered me a sim card only one month contract, unlimited texts, 1Gb internet and 400 minutes for £6 a month. That was 30 months ago and I'm still only paying £6 a month and as yet haven't ever used up all of those 400 minutes in one month.

Point is, you have the upper hand, they want you so play them.

Reaction score
Cheers Ian, will get my Dad to ring Sky (India) up.
Virgin look good but Sky after a call might reduce the bill?

And BT are the 3rd choice if the rest go pete tong!

Reaction score
Update: Seems my Dads latest high bill includes the cost of the replacement 2nd box + vat.
So once that is taken off his bill is the same roughly of Virgin Media would be.

Do however think that if a set top box fails it should be replaced free of charge, but seems not!
Another money spinning earner for sky it seems!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sky. Rupert Murdoch. The Sun. Nuff said. No Sky Ever for me.

I do rather suspect your old man's been ripped off there Feckit. If the 'box' is on rental then if it malfunctions surely the onus is on them to replace?

Unless, of course, the fine print which everybody agrees to without reading, states otherwise.

Ask a Question