Fibre Broadband aka FTTC - BT Fibre not Virgin Media

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So, whos got this available to them? Anyone waiting for it? Anyone got it?

There's a checker on the BT Infinity site to tell you if/when your area will be available for FTTC. Another good site to check your availability is Sam Knows. Or here if you know want detailed info on your local Exchange.

Heres a nice little guide about it if your not sure what its all about...

My exchange and road is being prep'ed as i type, the fibre cab is in down the road and they are laying the cable now. Its due to go live in march.

They claim i will be able to get 35mb down and 9.5mb up.... Which isn't bad at all, shame its still the old copper from the cab to the house though.. FTTH will take a long time to be rolled out....

But i wont be getting it from BT! :D

My current (and very good ISP - Be Unlimited) Clam they will be able to use the service sometime later this year, but dont have a date as yet...

I'd like to stay with them, but will see how it goes. ADSL24, Fast.co.uk, and Vivaciti (my old ISP) would be my other options if they could 't get it sorted soon...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've been able to use that for several months now but I wouldn't touch BT with a ten foot pole.

My landline is BT.

All my life BT have been a thorn in my side, don't get me started.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I've been able to use that for several months now but I wouldn't touch BT with a ten foot pole.

My landline is BT.

All my life BT have been a thorn in my side, don't get me started.

Tell me about it... So much so that i am very close to leasing a line of Be just for the BB. :)

https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/landline

Its still the BT line, but i deal with Be and not BT

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Been wanting to change my ISP for a while now. Had it upto the eye balls with Talk Talk. I get good internet speed with them, but the rest sucks. Was with BT before, but I will never go back to them again. Worst service I have had ever.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
BT's Broadband is useless, but you need their line unless your going Virgin Media.

That said i'd have BT over Talk Talk anyday! Mind you i'd rather use a couple of cans and a piece of string than use Talk talk...! :D

Like i said earlier, if i had to leave Be to get FTTC, i'd probably go with Fast.co.uk - the 45gb package - http://fast.co.uk/fttc.php

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
Tell me about it... So much so that i am very close to leasing a line of Be just for the BB. :)

https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/landline

Its still the BT line, but i deal with Be and not BT

Tbh I can't be arsed with all that typing but suffice to say I haven't got on with BT since the seventies, arrogant bunch of plonkers.

Coupla recent things. I have an account with BT for a landline, it's used only for faxes and Broadband.

I just paid the rental and maybe a coupla quid for a few calls a quarter. For years they tried to persudade me to join 'a plan'. Free weeknd calls! All kinds of advantages (for just an extra ... a month). No thanks, I just want to pay the rental.

That went on for years and then one day my BT bill arrived and they'd foisted 'a plan' upon me anyway, for which I paid more. Does the expression 'blood boil' ring true here? Yes it does.

Then I find out they're charging me around £5 a quarter because I don't pay by direct debit. Cheeky ********! I hate DD, somehow companies think their money's guaranteed if you pay by direct debit. Well, it's no guarantee if I ain't got no money in the account is it? And then I get charged around 25 quid for the DD being refused. I hate BT!

Moved in to this newly built flat about 2.5 years ago, couldn't get phone to work, One master socket (in the airing cupboard, yes, BT that's a really clever place to put a phone socket :mad: ) and two 'spur sockets.

So I call BT in, two engineers arrive and fuff about, declare it's working and leave. It wasn't working.

So I called a mate of mine and asked him how to wire the sockets. He told me and it took me about ten minutes to get all three working.

BT are poxy well useless.

There are more stories, one involving a stand up row with a sales assistant in a BT shop but that should give you a flavour.

Mind you, when they were Nationalised they were even worse.....

And then there's their throttling and their persecution of you if you use Torrent sites, they are self-appointed net vigilantes.

Did I mention I don't like BT? :)

Perhaps, V_R, you may be able to avoid this sort of thing by dealing directly with Be.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've just added a little more info to the OP with a few more links on the subject.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
V_R said:
That said i'd have BT over Talk Talk anyday! p

when it comes to speed I am getting just on 16meg from TT, with BT I was lucky if I got 4meg. TT is also cheaper than BT. Only thing is TT suck huge whale d**K when it comes to customer service/tech support. First line service is a free call, but within minutes they pass yu onto 2nd line service which is charged at £1 a minute.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Fibre BB has been available to us for about 3 months or so, (this is with ADSL24) but, we've not taken it up yet. We're still on 8 meg.

Currently we're on a one-month contract, which I have to say, I like. If we switched to one of the Fibre packages, it would mean a 12-month contract; wouldn't feel quite so happy about that, we prefer to keep our options open.
:)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah same here, the 12 month thing does put me off, Which is why i'd like to stay with Be if i can....

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Diamond cable-ntl and now virgin media all the way. been a broadband customer with them from day one and haven't had a problem. My friend has a bt home hub with bt net and its absolute crap compared to my measly 10mb virgin. Sky internet is just as useless. 50mb virgin bb if i could afford it ^^

Ask a Question