Uploading messages to NGs

Rainald

Due to problems with the mail-stire I had to delete it.
I did re-create all mail- and news account.
Everything fine with mail.
But I have serious pronlems with
1.) I can not upload postings to the NGs.

Errormsg (translated from German):The message could not be uploaded. ....
Protocol: NNTP, Server reply: "441 From address not in Internet syntax",
Port: 119, Secure (SSL): Ni, Server error: 441, Error number: 0x800CCCA9
<<<

2.) When trying to diwnload the NG-list from "news.msnews.com" the action is
stopped by an error:Configuration:
Account: news.msnews.com
Server: news.msnews.com
Protocil: NNTP
Port: 119
Yecure (SSL):0
Code: 800ccc0f
<<<

Downloading the lists and subscribing to groups works fine with all other
groups as well as downloading messages.

Anybody any idea on what might be wring?

TIA
Rainald
(posting through the web-interface)

Bruce Hagen

You do know that MS is removing the newsgroups from their servers?

Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

Newsgroups removed as of June 1, 2010
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2010/06/05/closin-the-nntp.aspx

You can still access the groups on some non-MS servers such as Eternal
September, but how long the quality of questions and replies lasts is
unknown.

Eternal September
http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/eternal-september.html

The replacement forums.

Microsoft Answers - First Time Users
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

Rainald

A typical header io a message not getting throug:From: "Rainald Taesler" <taesler@gmx>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.test.here
Subject: Test fuer Ausgabg
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 18:49:34 +0200

<<<

Rainald

mac

From: "Rainald Taesler" <taesler@gmx>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.test.here

That newsgroup "microsoft.public.test.here" no longer exists on the msnews
server.

Rest your list of available newsgroups.

HTH?

Rainald

Thanks for jumping in, Steve!

mac said:
That newsgroup "microsoft.public.test.here" no longer exists on the msnews
server.

Thanks for the pointer.
But it does not matter as far as the problem is concerened.
The group still exists with some alternative providers and there still is
some traffic. It would be sufficient just for testing

The problem is that I can not post to *any* NG at all!
Rest your list of available newsgroups.

Better said than done :-(
As said I can not get the list for "msnews" {siiigh}

Thanks again
Rainald

Rainald

Thanks for your notice!

Bruce said:
You do know that MS is removing the newsgroups from their servers?

Oh Yes I know it. {siiigh}
I have been involved in quite some discussions in the German community
and sent quite some folks to alternative places.
But quite a lot if the groups still exist - f.e. this one ;-)
You can still access the groups on some non-MS servers such as Eternal
September, but how long the quality of questions and replies lasts is
unknown.

We have several providers over here in Germany who had been mirroring
the "ms.public" hierarchy for years and still have the group open and
communicate with each others and postings appear crosswise.
However, IMO it does not make any sense to further use groups which have
officially been killed.

There quite some alternative NGs.
And I use the forums through the fine "Community Forums NNTP bridge"
under WinMail.

The MS-NGs are not really my concern.
The problem is that I can not post in *any* NG at all!

Thanks again
Rainald
P.S. I meanwhile ran a System-Restore with a restore point from a date
before the problem with my mail-store appeared. To no avail ... :-( :-(

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

It does matter when posting.
When you post a newsgroup message you are not just posting to a specific
newsgroup regardless of where it is hosted. You are posting to a specific
newsgroup on a specific server.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Rainald" wrote in message
Thanks for jumping in, Steve!

Better said than done :-(
As said I can not get the list for "msnews" {siiigh}

Thanks again
Rainald

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

Instead of news.msnews.com try using the server name
msnews.microsoft.com

"Rainald" wrote in message
[...]

Rainald Taesler

Gary said:
It does matter when posting.
When you post a newsgroup message you are not just posting to a
specific newsgroup regardless of where it is hosted. You are
posting to a specific newsgroup on a specific server.

Yes, I know ;-)
What I said was not meant "in general". As said it was just meant for
working on my problem by testing if news-messages can be uploaded at
all.

Thanks for your concern
Rainald

Rainald Taesler

Gary said:
Instead of news.msnews.com try using the server name
msnews.microsoft.com

Thanks for the suggestion, Gary!
It seems that I had a wrong address :-(

In the meantime I spent quite some time in the problem and could not
detect what was wrong. Could not find anything.

So I did bite the bullet and ran a restore (from a backup created last
October with "WMBackup" [a German Backup program for WinMail]).
It took quite some time and I had to do quite some work to update the
news-accounts and to update the content of news- and and mail-folders.
Thanks God no loss with the latter as for long years I've been working
with IMAP accounts only. With the news I lost the marks, colors etc. for
messages since October.
And I lost all of
The machine will still need a couple of hours to synch ;-(

All in all a time taking affair.
And I am still clueless on what was wrong :-( :-(

Thanks again
Rainald

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

Thanks for reporting back.

[...]