unregmp2.exe entry point not found

IS

I had to re-install xp.
A couple of years ago I upgraded from win98 to xp home. Today I had to
reinstall xp.
I'm in the middle of re-installing xp when I get the following error:

unregmp2.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link
library MSDART.DLL.

I've tried to click OK or X and it just stays on the screen. What can I do?

I don't want to hit Escape or anything before I know what's going on because
I have a lot of info I can't afford to loose.

Thanks.

IS

Feng Mao

Hi IS,

Thank you for posting!

This error can also occur during a repair installation of either version of
XP if the Media Player program has been updated to the latest version on
the computer.

There are several ways to remove the error message:

1. Continue to click "OK" until the message finally closes and remains
closed.
This can mean clicking up to 50 or 60 times. However, if you do the
message WILL
eventually close.

2. Close the message manually:
a. Press SHIFT + F10 - this will open a command window
b. Type "taskmgr.exe" (without the quotes) and press enter. - This will
open the Task Manager window.
c. Go to the 'Applications' tab.
d. Select the error message on the list.
e. Click 'End Task'. - This should stop the error message from being
displayed any further.
f. Close the Task manager.
g. Close the command window.

If the error message returns or continues to display inspite of ending the
error message task, continue on to part 3.

3. End the process causing the error message:
a. Open the Task Manager using the first two steps in part 2.
b. Go to the 'Processes' tab.
c. Find the process called 'unregmp2.exe'.
d. Click once on the process to highlight it.
e. Click 'End Process'. - This will stop the executable from continuing
to run and stop the error message from being displayed again.

After the installation has completed successfully, it is recommended to
update the Media Player to the latest version again to avoid further errors.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support