The PCR Guild Wars 2 Thread

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... a great time was had by all. :D

... my inventory kept filling-up with stuff that I'd need to keep for crafting purposes. It was only after the Beta weekend closed, that I heard we could store mats/collectables in a Bank! Duh!
I missed that one also, and only found out after the event ... double DOH!! :blush:

... It didn't really help that the area concerned was so dark. It was impossible to see anything as one progressed along this particular underground path ...
did you not have/find a torch ? :) is easier with one. :p

The Ele can indeed be a glass cannon, I also enjoyed my Experimentalist, especially when you can quickly swap attunments on the fly for an extra heal, however, I really enjoyed the Necromancer, need a bit more oomf for the minions, but you can swap out weapons on the fly ... start with staff, lay a few marks, as they get closer swap weapon, finish off.

There is a 'lot of work' still to do on balance, some, like the Ranger, need a bit-o-work especially with their pets.

I once again spent a lot of time just wondering around, always something to do, but the scenery was mindbogglingly good.

Aye, hope we get another weekend this month ... it is a bit of a tease ... really hope release is near. :bow:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
did you not have/find a torch ? :) is easier with one. :p
No - it wasn't any kind of event, I was in a purely explorable area of the Hoelbrak Bear Lodge. Lots of tunnels to explore.

I agree with you regarding the Ranger. Couldn't get on with that at all. I was expecting something similar to GW1, where I enjoyed the Ranger quite a lot. Probably won't give-up on it and will try again, now that I have a better idea about what I'm doing... Love the pet bear though. :D

Oh yes, the scenery is pretty amazing - no wonder this game has taken so many years to reach this point.... But as for an early release date..? Hmm, don't think so. Did you read the ANet forum? The Devs stated there, that they still don't have a release date. Still working on lots of stuff seemingly.

Quite a lot of folk have been asking if servers could be kept up, so that pre-purchasers could continue to play in Beta.... but no sign of their wish being granted just yet.

BTW, and switching topic very slightly.... did you also see that some people are using game-boards/game-pads instead of mouse and ordinary keyboard?

I found this a bit interesting, because, in keeping with quite a few others, I find the left-hand controls a bit awkward. I ended-up with a really stiff neck and bad headache by the end of the weekend.

I have copied some suggestions made by other players, regarding altering the key-bindings. Might give that a try first. Thing is, the style of play in GW1, could basically be suited to however an individual chose to play it, whereas GW2 is not quite so flexible. (I've noticed that lots of other players are experiencing similar difficulties, so I know I'm not alone, lol.) :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
controllers are for JCB drivers, no, I have no problem with left hand controls, I've play a few MMOs that are the same, even GW1, tho' you have to stand still to fight ... in GW2 you can move around, I found it quite easy, in conjunction with the mouse.

the only 'button' I change is to use the R key to auto-run, it's usually setup for chat, so I don't miss it's original function. That way my fingers don't stray too far from the W key which is what I call my hand-hover key.

If the game is not released by the end of August, I'm gonna sulk, I'll kick & scream, rant & rave and make every ones life a misery, so there. :)

if they keep to their normal "when it's ready" we'll never see it come to light. :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score

muckshifter

Reaction score
Help Us Stress Our Servers on June 27
"We were very pleased with how our servers performed during our second Beta Weekend Event, but we want to gather additional data on how they operate under load before the next one.
That’s where you come in.
All players who have pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 are invited to participate in our upcoming stress test. This four-hour test event will run on Wednesday, June 27th, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. PDT (GMT-7).
We won’t wipe characters for this event, so if you played in our previous betas, you can pick up right where you left off. All we need you to do is log in and have fun—leave the stress to us!"

http://www.arena.net/blog/help-us-stress-our-servers-on-june-27

strange time, day, event. :confused:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
strange time, day, event. :confused:
If you recall, the previous stress test was during daytime too (well, in the US that is.) Early evening for us.... but only 2 hours this time.:cry: .....Perhaps another Beta weekend will follow fairly quickly though. Yay! :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
well, it's actually 4hrs, but may as well be 2 ... I really dunno how you can "stress test" like that? :confused:

don't think we will see a Beta weekend by the end of this month, they are certainly "milking" this lark IMO. :(

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
well, it's actually 4hrs, but may as well be 2 ... I really dunno how you can "stress test" like that? :confused:

don't think we will see a Beta weekend by the end of this month, they are certainly "milking" this lark IMO. :(
Oops! :blush: Glad you poointed that out, (still haven't had my eye appointment... can you tell? lol)

But I agree with you; can't imagine many players will be able to go online in the US between those times, so surely they'll not be getting a completely accurate picture(?)

As for "milking it" we've still seen nothing of the Sylvari race yet. So presumably, if they get added to one of the Beta weekends, it'll lead to yet more delay, whilst more tweaks are carried out.

It's great that ANet want to 'perfect' the game before it's release, but this could go on forever. Surely some of the tweaks could be carried out post release? After all, they still roll out updates and skill adjustments to GW1, so who is going to mind if they do that in GW2?

IMHO most players would just be glad to get stuck-in to the game, and wouldn't worry too much about the odd wart or imperfection they might discover.

Reaction score
Definitely getting this.

I was a fan of WoW for a reasonable amount of time but was never into it hardcore. A casual, stunning MMO like this should be right up my street.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
There's a question which has been nagging at me ever since I first downloaded GW2. I know I should probably make a new thread, but as it relates exclusively to this specific game, it's worth risking a wee admonishment. ;)

In the past, I've always purchased the DVD version of any game that I've owned - unlike GW2, which came as a digital download.

So, as I'm seriously thinking of getting a new computer this year, I've been wondering how the game might be transferred to a different machine? I don't suppose ANet would be too happy about re-downloading it from scratch.... would they...?:confused:

I've Googled around the Net, but never seem to find the exact (and hopefully, idiot-proof) answer.) Have even thought about mailing ANet, but guessing they're going to be pretty bogged-down with queries, etc., with release being so imminent.

So apologies for what is probably a lame question, but answers very gratefully received. Thank you. :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Yep, you would need to re-download the 'client' from the net and update it.

Your log-on details etc however, are stored on their servers, no saved games to worry about. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh thank you Mucks. I couldn't believe it would really be that simple - I envisaged having to ask their permission, etc. lol. That's good news.:D

Here's the bad.... my monitor has just died... so using a horribly uncomfortable, tiny, flat-screen TV. Going out in a bit, to see if there are any decent ones available locally. If not, I'll order over t'internet. :nod:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Monitor? easy ...

Go to PCWorld, no, really, however, look for a minimum 24inch (usually 23.6" actual) or above, and, DVI with a min resolution of 1920 x 1080 ... something like this would suit. :)

even Tesco :nod:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh thanks Mucks - you've confirmed that I've been browsing on the right lines and I've checked-out a few LGs too.

:thumb: But now, of course, I'm in a dilemma. I've just spotted this new-model BenQ (my newly-deceased monitor was a BenQ, so I admit to having a very soft spot for them) it looks rather appealing. I also like that it has the "black equaliser" thingy (no matter how much I brighten the screen, dark areas in GW completely throw me visually.) This setting apparently can even things out a bit.

It has an adjustable height setting - also screen can be swiveled around. Quite fancy being able to do that, when I'm writing long letters... or looking through photos, etc. On the other hand, I've lived without that for all this time, so perhaps I'm being a bit OTT about that. :lol:

(PS... I'm not going too far off-topic, 'cause I did mention GW again lol.)

Ask a Question