The PCR Guild Wars 2 Thread

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
now this, I didn't expect ...

Guild Wars 2 Digital Pre-Orders Temporarily Sold Out
Good luck getting into the Beta Weekend Event now.
04.26.12 - 7:50 PM

Those of you who waited until now to pre-order Guild Wars 2 and secure your access to this weekends beta event may find yourselves in a bit of a pickle. With less than a day until the start of the Beta Event Weekend, ArenaNet has stopped taking digital pre-orders for the upcoming fantasy MMO. The halt on sales is a temporary measure presumably intended to make sure servers aren't too crowded over the course of the weekend.

ArenaNet promises to put digital versions Guild Wars 2 up for sale "as more capacity becomes available" but does not cite a specific date when pre-orders will return. Boxed copies are still available for pre-order from retail outlets, so check with your local GameStop or Best Buy to see if they still have beta codes available.

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Aww, sorry to hear that Mucks. I've just logged out... managed to get in okay at 7 pm and been there ever since. It cut a couple of times during the first stage (building a new character) so ended up having to do that twice.

Finding the user interface a tad confusing - I guess that's partly because it's so different to GW1. Also very stuttery in places... not certain at this stage if that's due to the numbers online, or whether I need to upgrade my graphics card. (It's the one in Computer Specs listed on left.)

Just got to turn in now... eyes are crossing lol. :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
I managed to log-on around 8.20pm, made up a charismatic Necro, got the first intro screen, then a BlackScreenOfDeath ... :rolleyes:

For the next four hours was a fiasco, so at 12.20am, I went to bed.

Now this morning, at 05.30am, I got on no problem. Been "playing" ever since. :)

I do hope they sort the lagg out, however, it's still playable ... break over, back to the game. :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well, that was a refreshing change. Looking forward to GW2 going live.

The time, over 60hours, for this weekend, was not enough to cover everything one could have achieved. I wanted to take a look at crafting, and, while I did gather some materials, I didn't really get the chance to actually craft anything. It did look a lot like the way you craft in Aion. Not surprising since it's a game from the same stables as GW2. Looking forward to some more time.

GW2, "The Beta Weekend" was really fun, not all plane sailing as ArenaNet did have a lot of initial logon issues, I know from first hand experience. :rolleyes: They worked with people live, in real time, to overcome a lot of the logon 'bugs' which I personally think was mainly due to the shear amount of people trying to logon, I mean, how many of you will "wait a few minuets" as requested, and spam the login button. :nod:

We had a fair amount of "lag/fps/latency" in highly populated areas, latency, internet, network, or a combination of all, I dunno, at times the game was hard to play, on one occasion, it was all but impossible, but we didn't crash. :) Crashes were very rare, well for me they were, having only getting dropped from the game twice with an auto sending of a crash report, I thought really good. YMMHV

Bugs, it was a Beta weekend, "Beta", a work-in-progress, not final, yep, seen and reported a few, the one where I was talking to a female character who had a male voice was interesting. Overall, I was impressed.

Game play was really entertaining, refreshing and intuitive for me. On a few occasions I was scratching me head, but if you look around, you'll find the "tool" necessary in completing the assignment, no, it wasn't a quest. :)

Every player can revive other players, and it was very refreshing to see people go out of there way to do just this, there is a marker on your mini map, among others, that indicate a downed player, you get 'rep' for doing so, not that I saw that as a major incentive, seems most people were quite happy to "heal" anyone.

You could run through an area for the umpteenth time, the same road even and still find something new to do. How often these "events" occur, I have no idea, but it could hinder you on your way to "save the world" :D

oh, and after every 'storyline assignment' and 'event' we had a feedback window popup and were encouraged, on a 1-5 scale, to report what we thought. Nice touch AN.

I could go on and on, but I'm no games reviewer, how can you tell, feel free to ask any questions you like, I'll try and answer if I can, I can concur, I WILL be buying GW2 ... oh wait!! :blush:

For my entertainment, I can quite happy award GW2 ...

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Sounds positive and I may well just shell out come the time based on you and TC's findings, thanks for the info Mr Muck's..:nod:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I found a very nice review, among others, HERE ... it goes into some more details than I, there is a lot one can do different in GW2 to other MMOs that very refreshing and hard to cover in one Beta weekend.

There is something for every one, be you a first person shooter fan to a stay at home crafter. PvP is a scream, so I hear, not tried it meself, and then there is World-v-World-v-World where Servers can fight it out over several weeks, never mind Guild fights. :)

I'll be doing a lot of reading n the next few days, searching for "information" on what I missed ... looking forward to release, then one can really take your time, and have fun!. :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed it so much Mucks. :thumb:

My own experience was decidedly mixed, and having visited GW2's dedicated forums a few times, I can see that my views are shared by many.

Yes, the graphics are brilliant. The new characters/professions are interesting... but sheesh! I spent most of the time feeling utterly frustrated and much to my own surprise.... became bored to the point where I logged-out and resumed GW1!

Of course I expected the game to be different and to have evolved from the old GW1, but, it would have been nice if the devs had incorporated a few "tuition pop-ups" as happens in the Training Areas of GW1. No, I don't want to be spoon-fed or have the game played for me, but, right at the very beginning, it would be good to have a few of the basics explained; once they're known, the player can get on and have fun. (After all, there's no manual to read and some of the interfaces and ways of doing things, are completely different to the old GW. Whilst they might appear "familiar" to anyone who has previously played a wide selection of MMOs... GW still has a strong fan base of folk who have quite literally stuck with that game and not ventured into many of the others. So we at least need to be given a hint or two!

I would agree that some parts of the game were intuitive. But a hell of a lot of it was not. Silly little things just eluded me completely. I want to PLAY, not spend most of my time hunting around on Google for information.... and yes, there are NPCs who provide some info but not always the "right" info.

For instance - equipping weapons was pretty straightforward in the old game. So okay, I attempted the same thing yesterday..... and ended up sans weapon, sans skills until I ran back into the Outpost and re-equipped the "old" weapon! (And no, I did NOT try to equip a weapon which was unusable by my profession.)

More positively, the lag issue wasn't so bad on Sunday, but still a bit choppy in crowded places. (My system specs exceed the game specs, but I've decided to add a bit more RAM just in case this would help... won't hurt to do that anyway.)

It's a pity we cannot still use the double mouse-click to move directly to an NPC or whatever. That also happens to be one of the complaints I've noticed appearing again and again, by others. From what I've seen, most would like that to be a selectable option.

I enjoy a challenge, really I do... but right now... if the option was available, I'd choose to have a refund! But okay, this was just the first Beta Weekend, (I genuinely have not lost sight of this being a "work in progress") so I'm willing to calm down and await the next BW to see what changes it might bring. :(

muckshifter

Reaction score
oooh, wow, a complete contrast of opinions. :)

Sorry to hear of your frustrations TC, this pre-order to enter "open Beta" was, IMHO, a bit of a con. Although I would still have purchased the game.

I'm not going to try and defend GW2, but I do hope you "try-out" more Beta weekends and maybe we can get together and iron out some of your frustrations on the Centaurs. :)

You are more than welcome to email me, or we can "talk" in GW1 ... I'm not giving that up just yet. :D

On a side note: I too am now in need to upgrade my PC, may just be an excuse on my part, but it is a wee bit long in the tooth these days ... LoTRO is 5years old, and I have "problems" with playing in very populated areas.

:)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
oooh, wow, a complete contrast of opinions. :)

Sorry to hear of your frustrations TC, this pre-order to enter "open Beta" was, IMHO, a bit of a con. Although I would still have purchased the game.

I'm not going to try and defend GW2, but I do hope you "try-out" more Beta weekends and maybe we can get together and iron out some of your frustrations on the Centaurs. :)

You are more than welcome to email me, or we can "talk" in GW1 ... I'm not giving that up just yet. :D

On a side note: I too am now in need to upgrade my PC, may just be an excuse on my part, but it is a wee bit long in the tooth these days ... LoTRO is 5years old, and I have "problems" with playing in very populated areas.

Yes Mucks - I agree regarding the pre-purchase thingy... it seems likely, (to me anyway,) that the devs needed to bring in a bit of dosh, so that they can continue working on the game. Just my opinion of course. But why else would one have to "pay" to take part in beta-testing, lol.

Oh no, I won't be giving-up on it just yet and will be giving it another go when the time comes. I'm not unmindful of how very long this project has been going on, so don't really enjoy whining and complaining, when clearly GW2 has the potential to be enjoyed by many. As you said earlier, there is pretty much something for everyone. But devs need to get a grip and realise that things which are second nature to them, might need a bit of clarification for some ordinary players. Then we can ALL get busy and enjoy it.

I appreciate the offer to email/chat Mucks, that's very kind of you :D and no, I won't be giving up GW1 either.... in fact, probably not at all, as it's still such good fun and different from the new game. It doesn't get stale - always so many new areas to discover, even now, after 5 years of playing it lol.

See you soon, somewhere in Tyria lol. :cheers:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Guild Wars 2 stress test May 14th

GW2 will be conducting a stress test on Monday May 14 from 11 AM to 6:00 PM PDT (-7 GMT).

This special test event is open only to Pre-Purchase customers who have registered their accounts.

"With your help, we can conduct important tests and address some of the issues we identified during our first Beta Weekend Event. During this event, all you need to do is play normally with a new or existing character on your Beta account using the same game client. Please note that since this is a stress test of our servers, you may experience some in-game performance issues. If you’ve pre-purchased Guild Wars 2 and wish to participate in the stress test, we recommend that you register the account and download the game client."

Pre-Purchase customers, log in to the Beta Forums for more information and/or to download the Beta client if needed.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/stress/news/Getting-Started/169235

:dance: see you in game :dance:

muckshifter

Reaction score
... this is gonna be a real interest to me with my "new" system. :cool:

It's a very strange day & time to hold a "stress test", especially for the Yanks. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
... this is gonna be a real interest to me with my "new" system. :cool:
Oh yes - I'll bet it's going to be a huge improvement for you :thumb::thumb:

It's a very strange day & time to hold a "stress test", especially for the Yanks. :)
Yes, that is a bit puzzling.... On a working day (for most folk, that is..) there surely won't be so many playing. So can't really see that being a particularly accurate stress-test. Odd.:confused:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Another thought - the time will be favourable to the EU on this occasion, (7pm - 2 am approx) so perhaps they're specifically sorting-out the servers (or whatever) on "our" side...?

muckshifter

Reaction score
naw, I don't think it's specific to EU, all servers in the last Beta test we not optimised.

Was hoping for more weekends tho, or is "release" closer than we think? :drool:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Guild Wars2 ... an explanation of dynamic events

A good video for everyone who wants to understand dynamic events and what triggers them.

I'm really looking forward to this games release, I spent three hours in a City, Lions Arch, in last night 'stress' test. :drool:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Reserving Your Character Name for Guild Wars 2

Do you have a name in Guild Wars you wish to use in Guild Wars 2? head over to ArenaNet blog for more information.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up Mucks. I'm already using one of my main character names in GW2 (along with 2 new ones.) Sounds like release date might be getting closer. :D

Ask a Question