The PCR Guild Wars 2 Thread

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
aye, maybe close to release, I've even seen reports, and actual "proof?", of a release date for the 26th or 28th June ... both have been categoricly denied by ANet, "it'll be ready when its ready."

We still haven't seen the Sylvari or the Asura in Beta, I do know they completely change the look of the Sylvari ... maybe this months Beta test, if we have one?

Meself, I still think we got few months yet, I think August-ish, although, I wouldn't mined being wrong. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I think we need a Guild Wars thread, keep all the info in one place rather than the 4 or 8 threads we got here at the moment. ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Might be best to close down the site altogether and get Ian to use the servers for GW exclusivly
Muahaha.gif
Muahaha.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
Beta Weekend Event 2 ... will begin on Friday, June 8th, at noon PDT (GMT-7) and will run until Sunday, June 10th, at 11:59 p.m. PDT (GMT-7).

If that isn’t enough to get you all bursting with excitement, here is some more news:
Your existing beta characters have not been deleted, and you will be able to continue right where you left off! This means that enterprising players with characters level 35 or higher will be able to test their mettle against the explorable version of the ...
:)

:dance: :cheers: :dance:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I've noted it on my desktop calendar :thumb: That last stress test was actually pretty good, so it looks as if we'll see even more improvements next time. :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
It’s almost here ... the second Guild Wars 2 Beta Weekend Event begins this Friday!

For three days, players from all over the world will experience the wonders and dangers of Tyria ... and a ton of cool new content!

Keep Your Characters!
Enter the Catacombs (Explorable Mode)
Visit Lovely Gendarran Fields
Unlock the Mysteries of the Mystic Forge
Expanded World vs. World
New Automated Player vs. Player Tournaments
Updated Combat ... “A Sense of Hitting”
Improved Overflow Servers
Improved Chat
New Key-Binding Feature
UI Improvements
Tiers for Skills
The Gem Store is under New Management

... pop along to the GW2 Blog for an in depth look at the updates.

see you in-game from Friday, June 8th :drool:

oh! and if you haven't been keeping your Client up to date, we suggest you do so now, their is a biggie to download. :)

:wave:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just beaten me to it ;) I had a read of that whilst downloading the update. (Really glad I didn't leave it until Friday, it's taken about 3 hours here, though doubtless quicker for faster connections.) :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Just beaten me to it ;) I had a read of that whilst downloading the update. (Really glad I didn't leave it until Friday, it's taken about 3 hours here, though doubtless quicker for faster connections.) :thumb:
aye, mine took 10mins, I suppose it was "slow" 'cos of all the other peeps downloading. :lol:

my speeds here are one reason I'm reluctant to change ISP. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
aye, mine took 10mins, I suppose it was "slow" 'cos of all the other peeps downloading. :lol:

my speeds here are one reason I'm reluctant to change ISP. :)
Impressive!! :thumb: But I guess it probably wasn't helping that we were both using 'tinternet for other things at the time, and also watching a live broadcast of the RAF Fly Past etc. CPU felt like a radiator!! :lol:

muckshifter

Reaction score
err, you forgot BST

so it's 10hrs 47min :blush:

It's going to be a long day ... :lol:

[edit] just found out that for the first day of play we can transfer worlds for free, so I'm gonna look for a non French world.

Far Shiverpeaks I think :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Aww drat! Stamps foot and has a hissy-fit. :lol:

Yeah, Far Shiverpeaks is as good as anywhere methinks.... Are we given the option to change worlds at log-in? Previously the game has just "taken" me to a world automatically.

The weather's a bit stormy here. Our computers went down earlier (power glitch) so hope we don't get a complete outage. That would be too cruel!! :eek: :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
on the first Beta WE I sat there at 7pm cussing, and on the stress test, you not alone. :lol:

I don't think we do it at login, but I will find out how we can move worlds. Nowhere actually explains ingame how. :rolleyes:

weather is wet here, no problem, I ain't going anywhere. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I don't think we do it at login, but I will find out how we can move worlds. Nowhere actually explains ingame how. :rolleyes:

weather is wet here, no problem, I ain't going anywhere. :)
Ahh, I'm glad you said that - I've looked around for info, couldn't find any, so concluded that I'd probably missed-it somewhere. :lol:

No, not planning to go out here either. Would need to put bricks in our pockets for ballast if we did!!
Weather4.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
I've moved to "Gunnar’s Hold" ... is easy enough, when you log on, do not select a char, on the bottom left you'll see Transfer ... is a low population server, at the moment, hope I don't get as many disconnects. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Will give that a try too Mucks :thumb: Though to be fair, I only experienced two cut-offs, one within the first 15 mins, then another about three-hours later. It was a wee bit laggy in places, but a big improvement - probably thanks to the extra servers.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Is it just me, or are you missing the points-of-the-compass being shown on the mini-map, bottom right? Hope ANet will re-introduce that feature, it helps with navigating around. :nod:

Otherwise, having a good time - I've made a Norn ele. Great fun. :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
err, never knew there were any, isn't North always top?

hope we get to draw/ping on it again. :)

coffee break

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
err, never knew there were any, isn't North always top?

hope we get to draw/ping on it again. :)

coffee break

Well yes, but I prefer to allow the compass to rotate. But it's hard to keep track of N, S, E + W, unless they're marked. (You must've heard that some women rotate maps when their map-reading? Makes perfect sense to some of us, :D)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
My feelings after the first weekend Beta were decidedly negative. The rather brief stress-test that followed, was a happier experience (in part, because the game was running much more smoothly.) The most recent weekend Beta, turned out to be even better, in fact, I'm a happy bunny again and so, for the sake of balance.......

Lots of things just "clicked" over the weekend, which naturally, made the game experience far more immersive and enjoyable. ANet have obviously been listening to the plentiful feedback from Beta players, and they've performed some "tweakage" in the interval between the Beta weekends.

This time, I chose to make another new character, namely a Norn Elementalist, which proved to be immensely enjoyable. I was pretty impressed by the amount

of damage she could achieve when tackling rampaging Minataurs hefty, club-wielding Dredge or whatever, with a chain of fiery blasts at her disposal. (Other attunements are also available, but the fiery ones tend to be a favourite for me. I have two Elementalist chars in GW1, so not new to playing this profession, however, the GW2 Ele seems much more powerful, imho. (I do hope ANet won't decide to make them less powerful any time soon.)

Interestingly though, I have read the opinions of some other players who described the GW2 Ele to be "squishy" ...I didn't find that. In fact, I thought her to be the least "squishy" GW2 char that I've tried, so far. But maybe that opinion will change as I progress.

The swimming and underwater experience was really impressive. There are special underwater skills which I found to be pretty effective against the various monsters lurking in the deep, clear waters. It was also quite exciting to swim along underwater passages, only to eventually surface in a large underground cavern, populated by a mob of enemy Dredge.

This time, I decided to give the gentle art of crafting a try. Not ever having tried it before, I was anticipating mega-boredom...wrong! It was actually pretty cool.

The only problem - for me - was that my inventory kept filling-up with stuff that I'd need to keep for crafting purposes. It was only after the Beta weekend closed, that I heard we could store mats/collectables in a Bank! Duh!

The trading system seems good, There is a very efficient set-up for selling goods to other players. The Black Lion Traders list the items being sought by other players, (or they can list items that a player wants to sell.) The transaction takes place quickly and without needing to personally make contact with buyer, or seller... although there is an option to "meet" if a player should want to do that.

There are some fun things to do aside from just killing things, of course, such as feeding bear cubs, or playing with Snow Leopard cubs... even having a snowball fight with children in a little hamlet. It has to be said, the creatures are all rendered in such amazing detail. I couldn't believe how real the appearance and behaviour was, in all the critters I encountered.

Still on the subject of realism.... in the old GW, if one walked too close to the edge of a cliff, or whatever, it was okay. Your char would just appear to be standing in mid-air, or would come to a stop. But GW2 is rather different..... as I discovered when I fell down a hole and couldn't get out again! :lol: Clever, but the only solution was to waypoint-out of there, then return to the area to finish exploring. It didn't really help that the area concerned was so dark. It was impossible to see anything as one progressed along this particular underground path, even with screen brightness ramped-up to max. Gave me a chuckle though.

Roll on the next Beta Weekend. :thumb:

Ask a Question