Setting up a gaming LAN...how??

Doobie Doo

Hi all,

I was talking with a buddy and we've decided to set up a LAN party, and
possibly keep having it on a regular basis, but we have just one problem.
We want to all be able to play on internet servers, not just our own LAN
server. We would be going through a cable connection which gives us only
two IP addresses. We will be having at least 5 computers playing at a time,
minimum. I've been doing some reading online trying to figure out which was
the best way to go, proxy or NAT, but I couldn't find anything that could
show me the best way to do it. So I was just wondering what the common
configuration was for hardcore gamers. I was thinking of just getting an
older box, throw 2 NICs in it, hook it up to the modem, and to a multi-port
switch. Then install W2K and some proxy software (someone suggested sygate,
but I had a look at their website, and couldn't really tell what the hell it
did), and bang! Every machine can communicate with the internet game
server. Could even have the proxy server host a few net games.

Any suggestions/corrections?

Doobie Doo

Sorry, but what is ICS?? I'm looking for the easiest setup. And I totally
agree of course, but I only have one connection. Not much of a choice
there. (And holy crap, that was a fast reply!!)

unInformed240 said:
NAT or ICS allow multipul client PCs to share a internet connection. NAT
lets you configure many thing but requires them to be set right. ICS hardly
lets you set a thing but should work easly and quickly.

you should go nat, ics is quick and easy but many ports are locked down/ or wont allow traffic, nat is totally configuabl
but you must know what ports to open and what protocol tcp or udp, that info u must get from isp's and the gaming sites

Doobie Doo

Ok, I found out what ICS is. It's microsofts NAT server. So which is
better, sygate, or ICS??

unInformed240 said:
NAT or ICS allow multipul client PCs to share a internet connection. NAT
lets you configure many thing but requires them to be set right. ICS hardly
lets you set a thing but should work easly and quickly.

Jimmy S.

Hi!

Use DXPORT from puffinsoft.com to assign specific DX ports
to each computer behind that router. You'll be able to play that
way, but you're going to have a slight bottleneck at the hub. :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| Hi all,
|
| I was talking with a buddy and we've decided to set up a LAN party, and
| possibly keep having it on a regular basis, but we have just one problem.
| We want to all be able to play on internet servers, not just our own LAN
| server. We would be going through a cable connection which gives us only
| two IP addresses. We will be having at least 5 computers playing at a time,
| minimum. I've been doing some reading online trying to figure out which was
| the best way to go, proxy or NAT, but I couldn't find anything that could
| show me the best way to do it. So I was just wondering what the common
| configuration was for hardcore gamers. I was thinking of just getting an
| older box, throw 2 NICs in it, hook it up to the modem, and to a multi-port
| switch. Then install W2K and some proxy software (someone suggested sygate,
| but I had a look at their website, and couldn't really tell what the hell it
| did), and bang! Every machine can communicate with the internet game
| server. Could even have the proxy server host a few net games.
|
| Any suggestions/corrections?
|
| Thanks,

Doobie Doo

Jimmy,

You would open a different port with this program? I assume that they are
not TCP/IP Ports, but "directional" ports correct? Would it work, for
instance, if we are all playing a game that uses the same port?

Thanks for the suggestion,

Doobie Doo

......and I had a look at puffinsoft's site and I noticed this quote:
"DXport allows multiple computers behind a NAT device to connect to Internet
games that use the DirectX Netcode."

I don't have a "NAT device" yet. That's what I'm trying to get hep with
here. But the way I understand it, is that once I have a NAT device, I
shouldn't need DXport (unless I play microsoft games).

Doobie Doo

Ok, I've decided on just getting the Linksys BEFSR81 (8 port router). It
has NAT built in, and it should have enough ports. Does this sound
feasable? (lookit me, usin' big woids)

Jimmy S.

Hi Doobie Doo,

If you do decide to use a router to share one internet connection
for all the machines on your LAN then you'll want to use DXPort. :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| .....and I had a look at puffinsoft's site and I noticed this quote:
| "DXport allows multiple computers behind a NAT device to connect to Internet
| games that use the DirectX Netcode."
|
| I don't have a "NAT device" yet. That's what I'm trying to get hep with
| here. But the way I understand it, is that once I have a NAT device, I
| shouldn't need DXport (unless I play microsoft games).

| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi!
| >
| > Use DXPORT from puffinsoft.com to assign specific DX ports
| > to each computer behind that router. You'll be able to play that
| > way, but you're going to have a slight bottleneck at the hub. :)
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >

| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
| Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.

| > |
| > | I was talking with a buddy and we've decided to set up a LAN party, and
| > | possibly keep having it on a regular basis, but we have just one
| problem.
| > | We want to all be able to play on internet servers, not just our own LAN
| > | server. We would be going through a cable connection which gives us
| only
| > | two IP addresses. We will be having at least 5 computers playing at a
| time,
| > | minimum. I've been doing some reading online trying to figure out which
| was
| > | the best way to go, proxy or NAT, but I couldn't find anything that
| could
| > | show me the best way to do it. So I was just wondering what the common
| > | configuration was for hardcore gamers. I was thinking of just getting
| an
| > | older box, throw 2 NICs in it, hook it up to the modem, and to a
| multi-port
| > | switch. Then install W2K and some proxy software (someone suggested
| sygate,
| > | but I had a look at their website, and couldn't really tell what the
| hell it
| > | did), and bang! Every machine can communicate with the internet game
| > | server. Could even have the proxy server host a few net games.
| > |
| > | Any suggestions/corrections?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > |
| > |
| > |

Jimmy S.

Awesome!

If you play behind the router on just the LAN you're good to go.
If you play from the LAN through the Internet, then you'll need
DXPORT as we discussed to divide up the Direct X ports. :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| Ok, I've decided on just getting the Linksys BEFSR81 (8 port router). It
| has NAT built in, and it should have enough ports. Does this sound
| feasable? (lookit me, usin' big woids)

| | > Hi all,
| >
| > I was talking with a buddy and we've decided to set up a LAN party, and
| > possibly keep having it on a regular basis, but we have just one problem.
| > We want to all be able to play on internet servers, not just our own LAN
| > server. We would be going through a cable connection which gives us only
| > two IP addresses. We will be having at least 5 computers playing at a
| time,
| > minimum. I've been doing some reading online trying to figure out which
| was
| > the best way to go, proxy or NAT, but I couldn't find anything that could
| > show me the best way to do it. So I was just wondering what the common
| > configuration was for hardcore gamers. I was thinking of just getting an
| > older box, throw 2 NICs in it, hook it up to the modem, and to a
| multi-port
| > switch. Then install W2K and some proxy software (someone suggested
| sygate,
| > but I had a look at their website, and couldn't really tell what the hell
| it
| > did), and bang! Every machine can communicate with the internet game
| > server. Could even have the proxy server host a few net games.
| >
| > Any suggestions/corrections?
| >
| > Thanks,

Doobie Doo

Won't a router with NAT be enough??

Jimmy S. said:
Hi Doobie Doo,

If you do decide to use a router to share one internet connection
for all the machines on your LAN then you'll want to use DXPort. :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| .....and I had a look at puffinsoft's site and I noticed this quote:
| "DXport allows multiple computers behind a NAT device to connect to Internet
| games that use the DirectX Netcode."
|
| I don't have a "NAT device" yet. That's what I'm trying to get hep with
| here. But the way I understand it, is that once I have a NAT device, I
| shouldn't need DXport (unless I play microsoft games).

| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi!
| >
| > Use DXPORT from puffinsoft.com to assign specific DX ports
| > to each computer behind that router. You'll be able to play that
| > way, but you're going to have a slight bottleneck at the hub. :)
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >

| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
| Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.

| > |
| > | I was talking with a buddy and we've decided to set up a LAN party, and
| > | possibly keep having it on a regular basis, but we have just one
| problem.
| > | We want to all be able to play on internet servers, not just our own LAN
| > | server. We would be going through a cable connection which gives us
| only
| > | two IP addresses. We will be having at least 5 computers playing at a
| time,
| > | minimum. I've been doing some reading online trying to figure out which
| was
| > | the best way to go, proxy or NAT, but I couldn't find anything that
| could
| > | show me the best way to do it. So I was just wondering what the common
| > | configuration was for hardcore gamers. I was thinking of just getting
| an
| > | older box, throw 2 NICs in it, hook it up to the modem, and to a
| multi-port
| > | switch. Then install W2K and some proxy software (someone suggested
| sygate,
| > | but I had a look at their website, and couldn't really tell what the
| hell it
| > | did), and bang! Every machine can communicate with the internet game
| > | server. Could even have the proxy server host a few net games.
| > |
| > | Any suggestions/corrections?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > |
| > |
| > |

Doobie Doo

Ah, that's just if I want to play microsoft games. Probably won't. We'll
be doing Rainbow 6, counterstrike, command and conquer. You know, the
ususal.

Jimmy S.

If you say so. :) Don't lose my advice though.. you might
find that you need it for some of those other games as well. ;-)

Cheers!
Jimmy.

| Ah, that's just if I want to play microsoft games. Probably won't. We'll
| be doing Rainbow 6, counterstrike, command and conquer. You know, the
| ususal.

| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Awesome!
| >
| > If you play behind the router on just the LAN you're good to go.
| > If you play from the LAN through the Internet, then you'll need
| > DXPORT as we discussed to divide up the Direct X ports. :)
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >

| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
| Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.

| It
| > | has NAT built in, and it should have enough ports. Does this sound
| > | feasable? (lookit me, usin' big woids)
| > |
| > |

| and
| problem.
| LAN
| only
| > | time,
| which
| > | was
| could
| common
| an
| > | multi-port
| > | sygate,
| hell
| > | it

| > |
| > |

Jimmy S.

Not to connect multiple machines into the same internet
game from behind a LAN. We're back again to DXPort.
Thank the folks who made it. Before they did it would
have been virtually IMPOSSIBLE to do what you want. :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| Won't a router with NAT be enough??

| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi Doobie Doo,
| >
| > If you do decide to use a router to share one internet connection
| > for all the machines on your LAN then you'll want to use DXPort. :)
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >

| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
| Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| rights.

| > | "DXport allows multiple computers behind a NAT device to connect to
| Internet
| > | games that use the DirectX Netcode."
| > |
| > | I don't have a "NAT device" yet. That's what I'm trying to get hep with
| > | here. But the way I understand it, is that once I have a NAT device, I
| > | shouldn't need DXport (unless I play microsoft games).
| > |
| > |
| > |

| http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

| > | Contact
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > | rights.

| > | > |
| and
| > | problem.
| LAN
| > | only
| > | time,
| which
| > | was
| > | could
| common
| getting
| > | an
| > | multi-port
| > | sygate,
| > | hell it
| game
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Shinnokxz

Keep in mind that you must have different CD keys for each installation
on each computer in order to play those games on the Internet!

Enzo

Doobie Doo said:
[...]

I do this on a regular basis and here is how it is done. I have a dsl
connection with a d-link dsl router. The router will also allow for a dhcp
server on it. I set up the dhcp server on the lan port of the router and
allow for dynamic allocation of ip addresses to the gamers. For example,
192.168.1.1 255.255.255.240 is the configuration of the lan port on the
router. 192.168.1.6 to 192.186.1.14 are assigned to the dhcp pool and these
addresses are given to the gamers with a default gateway of 192.168.1.1. I
activate nat on the router so that the external address will route to the
internal range and vice versa. Thats it in a basic config. You set the nics
in the pcs to detect ip automatically from the dhcp server. This is default
when you install a nic.

The other things you want to do are also possible but require a bit more
knowledge. i.e if you were to set up a server that was visible to the
internet you would need to understand how pat works as well as nat. There
are also security policies that can be added to the router. If you do not
have a router (which i did not for a while) all this is possible with a usb
/ ethernet modem and a linux pc. Only attempt this through linux if you
understand the operating system as this can prove tricky.

Hope that helps some.

Doobie Doo

Beautiful man! Though, I may want to set up a server in our LAN to be
visible through the internet. What is PAT? I will be getting a router for
sure (hopefully with NAT).