Problems with Web Browsing on Home and Office Networks

Andrew Fiddian-Green

Dear All,

My browser is IE; my notebook has IE configured to use a proxy server on the
company (ethernet) LAN and also to use a configuration script located on
that LAN.

But when I bring the notebook home and connect it to my wireless LAN, I am
unable to persuade IE to connect to the Internet. Presumably this is
because of the proxy and configuration script settings (or maybe because of
differences in the settings for ethernet LAN vs. wireless LAN).

The kludge solution is to VPN into the office LAN so that IE can talk
through the tunnel to the proxy server at work. -- But this is not a good
solution due to bandwidth problems etc.

=> Does anyone have an idea how to set up IE, and the respective network
adapters, so that I can browse both when I am at the office and at home?

Regards,
AndrewFG

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Andrew,

You can create separate profiles on a laptop for home and office. You didn't mention what
your Operating System is so I'm sending you the link for XP. If you have Windows 2000, you
can find that on our Knowledge base or other locations on the internet on how to set it up.

308577 HOW TO: Set Up Hardware Profiles for Laptop Computers in Windows XP
http://kb/article.asp?id=Q308577

Thanks,
Gary

--------------------
'--'From: "Andrew Fiddian-Green" <1@1>
'--'Subject: Problems with Web Browsing on Home and Office Networks
'--'Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 17:45:54 +0100
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'
'--'Dear All,
'--'

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.