Server Move

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
OK, that should now be working :) Thanks for the heads up!

If you spot any more bugs, please let me know, and I'll squish them :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I've just got to comment because I'm noticing such a huge difference in the site. PCR is positively rocket-fuelled since the move!! It's great! :thumb: Ian's hard work and time commitment has produced excellent improvements again. This happy "forumite" thanks you :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's great to hear TC :D. It does seem faster at my end too, but I wasn't sure if that was just wishful thinking.

The move was mainly to improve stability, but I also upped the specs of the server (and software) - so I'm glad there has been a speed increase too :).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
A DNS Flush might speed things up if your ISP DNS has picked up the change. You can test if you are on the new server by going to a fake URL on the site (just make up a filename) and if you get a grey bar along the top with red error text, then you are on the new site.

The move involved:
  • Getting hold of a new server
  • Install control panel software, MySQL, PHP etc...
  • Freeze old database and make a "dump"
  • FTP old files + DB dump to new server
  • Restore DB dump to new database
  • test, test, test
  • Change nameservers from old host to new one
  • Bingo! :D
Most of the time was spent adding lots of tweaks to PHP and MySQL to make sure that lots of things are cached. :)
Seems Be's DNS servers updated fast, i've not needed to do anything in the end. Though this is the first time i've had chance to come on the forums! Busy as you like.

Thanks for the insight too Ian, Interesting to know. :)

Seems well fast too. :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ian, just got htis while clicking new post in general hardware. Tried again it was fine. just though i'd point it out. :)

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare writecache() (previously declared in C:\inetpub\vhosts\pcreview.co.uk\httpdocs\forums\global.php(392) : eval()'d code:1) in C:\inetpub\vhosts\pcreview.co.uk\httpdocs\forums\global.php(392) : eval()'d code on line 6

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks V_R, I think I know what this could be and I'll make a little change now.

If anyone gets this in future could you let me know please :).

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Transition ...should be in the dictionary as ball ache for Ian lol

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You've hit the nail on the head there! Fingers crossed, everything is ok now though :)

(famous last words? :lol: )

Ask a Question