Server Move

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
We've had a few problems with the server over the past 6 months, so I've taken the plunge and gone for a new server with a new host. This should make sure that the server is much more stable, but the site should also be faster (the new server is twice the speed, has twice the RAM and much newer software).

I'm hoping to move the server in the next few days, and I'll update this thread when I know more. I'm going a test upgrade before that, just so that I can make sure everything works as it should.

This move requires much more work than past moves, so there will be a period of up to several hours where the database will have to be frozen. This means that I'll need to take a snapshot of the old server before getting it moved to and running on the new one. During these hours, any new content added to PCR won't be moved over - however I will make a notice appear on every page to alert to this fact. I'll also try and do it when the site is very quiet.

Keep your eyes peeled :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for giving us all the heads-up Ian, and good luck for the move, hope all will go smoothly for you :thumb: :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The server move is underway :) The forums will need to be locked in a moment though, but I expect the move will be all finished by lunch time if things go to plan :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The server move is almost complete - the DB server has now been setup, so there will be a gradual transition over to the new webserver over the next 24 hours. :)

The databases are now in sync, but you may notice the site is a little slower if you are still browsing on the old server. All the posts made from now on will appear on both sites.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The server move is now fully complete! :D

By tomorrow, most people will be on the new server so hopefully it will be faster. It takes a little while for ISPs/Computers to notice the DNS change.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yay! Very well done Ian
200821223559.gif
excellent work, quickly accomplished. Reckon we all owe you a pint :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
You've done a great job, Ian. :thumb:
As usual. :)

I notice the smilies are in a different order.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
You always do a wonderful job of switching and this time also things are going smoothly :thumb:

Reaction score
You do a great job running the forum.

Could you try running the country as well!;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
feckit said:
You do a great job running the forum.

Could you try running the country as well!;)

I hope that in my lifetime I will see Ian as Prime Minister of Great Britain. Can you imagine PC Review get together at 10 Downing Street ? :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice one Ian. :)

Out of interest, couple of questions. If you dont mind :)

What exactly was involved in the move, (I'm just interested) and i cant remember how we check if we are using the new DNS, is there a way? Will doing a DNS Flush make any difference?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
V_R said:
Nice one Ian. :)

Out of interest, couple of questions. If you dont mind :)

What exactly was involved in the move, (I'm just interested) and i cant remember how we check if we are using the new DNS, is there a way? Will doing a DNS Flush make any difference?

A DNS Flush might speed things up if your ISP DNS has picked up the change. You can test if you are on the new server by going to a fake URL on the site (just make up a filename) and if you get a grey bar along the top with red error text, then you are on the new site.

The move involved:
  • Getting hold of a new server
  • Install control panel software, MySQL, PHP etc...
  • Freeze old database and make a "dump"
  • FTP old files + DB dump to new server
  • Restore DB dump to new database
  • test, test, test
  • Change nameservers from old host to new one
  • Bingo! :D
Most of the time was spent adding lots of tweaks to PHP and MySQL to make sure that lots of things are cached. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In best John Travolta voice:

'Why, it's greased lightning...'

Well done boss :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
not sure if its related to the server move or not but when i look at the latest posts and click onto 'last page' for flops' mini blog it takes me to the first page :confused:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
not sure if its related to the server move or not but when i look at the latest posts and click onto 'last page' for flops' mini blog it takes me to the first page :confused:

That happened to me with the previous server and, I note, with the new server.

Not just my thread referenced above but all threads with several pages.

I'd always considered it a quirk and just put up with it but I guess it is a fault.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
That's interesting flops, it works fine if i click the page number, just the last page one that doesn't work. I can't remember it being there before, it probably was but i can't remember and there aren't many long threads on here that are active atm

Ask a Question