Server Move

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
As regular visitors may have noticed, we've had a couple of server issues in the last few months. Because of this, I'm going to switch over to a new server this weekend.

I've had a practice run already, and it should take around 6 hours to complete. However, this does mean I have to take a snapshot of the site database before I copy it over. Once this process it started, you will still be able to read the site but anything posted before the new server is online will be lost. The server move will most likely happen on Sat 24th Nov, and I will add a notice on every page once the server backup is started so that people will be aware of the situation.

Most of the delay in people viewing the new server will be dependent on your ISP caching the IP address of PC Review. Therefore, for a few hours it may be possible that some users are still browsing the "old" server before switching to the new one.

I'll keep you all updated on the progress :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
No worrys Ian..Take all the time you need mate...:nod: Don't rush it..

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm configuring the server now in preparation :D I ordered it this morning but I didn't expect it to go live so quickly! The transfer will still take place on Sat though, as it's the quietest day :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The server just gave me a quick reminder as to why it's being moved! It was down for about 30 mins (on Thanksgiving in the US, so not many technicians about!).

The sooner the server move, the better! :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think I've found a way to sync the databases without any downtime at all :D I'm doing at a test at this very moment :)

Reaction score
Hope everything goes smoothly for you Ian :)

user.gif

wizkid

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
The server just gave me a quick reminder as to why it's being moved! It was down for about 30 mins (on Thanksgiving in the US, so not many technicians about!).

The sooner the server move, the better! :)
I noticed that, just as i was about to reply to a thread, no matter though. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Server move is going to start tomorrow morning, but I'll put a notice on the site once it is taking place :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to move the server transfer to tonight, as it's probably quieter if I work in the wee hours of the morning!

I'm going to start the transfer in a moment, so any posts after that point may not be moved. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The server move is now complete - there were some problems with the "new post", "subscribed threads" etc... on the main page due to a different version of MySQL. I'll try and get those working by the end of the weekend.

If you notice any other problems, do let me know in here :) I'm now off to get some sleep :lol:

Ask a Question