Upcoming Server Move

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sometime in the coming days (hopefully Sunday), we'll be moving to a new server with some behind the scenes software changes. I've done lots of testing over the past few weeks to prepare and I've found a new software config that is going to make the site fly:D.

It'll take up to two hours to move everything over, so I'll put the site in to a read-only mode during that time.

I'll post plenty more info as we get closer :).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
It was nice knowing you all, its been emotional...... :cry:

Just kidding! I'm sure all will go well as you're involved Ian. Good luck! (not that you need it) :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Sounds exciting Ian. Best of luck for a trouble-free server-move. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
All done :D. That was the smoothest transfer yet! :dance:

Most people reading this will still be viewing the old server, so it may take 24 hours for your DNS to update to access the new server (if it seems slower than normal, that's probably the case). If you're in a hurry, running "ipconfig /flushdns" may speed things up.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Please let me know if there are any problems accessing the site and I'll do my best to find out what's up :). It looks like there's a lot of database traffic from the old server, which may cause some real slowness if that's the one you have a cached DNS entry for.

edit: The old server is getting absolutely hammered by search engine crawlers, which are taking up the limited number of database connections to the new server (not a problem if the DNS has updated for you). I'm seeing if there's a way I can open it up, so that the old server can work properly.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
no 'problems' here, was very fast to connect. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
No slowness for me. :thumb:

But am I on the new or old server? ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
But am I on the new or old server? ;)

I think you're on the new one :D. Unfortunately @Taffycat is still on the old server and it's not working very well :eek:. Looks like there are too many remote database connections for it to work. It has worked well in the past when I've done the transfer like that, however this time the distance between the old and new server seems too great (was between server rooms, now it's in a different state!).

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yay! Good job Ian. :thumb:

I did have a few problems getting in earlier, despite flushing DNS, re-starting, etc., some server-error messages popped-up. But when I tried again just now, I was able to access the site very speedily! :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
All good here, but I guess I missed most of it!

Good job Ian. :)

Reaction score
You seem to have done a good job, Ian.
And the old server is racking up the WCG Points!

Ask a Question