server and browser service

Viva

Is this question just too stupid to answer? This is my
third time to post and have not been answered . Are the
browser and server services necessary for networking and
if so how do you turn them on. When I try to turn them
on under services I get error message 1058: The service
cannot be started, either bercause it is disabled or
because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
Computer browser --could not start the Computer Browser
service on local Computer.
Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to
start.
I posted all my ping ane run results on Aug 29 3:54PM.

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for posting.

I understand that you are unable to start the server service and the
browser service.

To resolve the error message 1058, please follow these steps:

a) Open Services MMC
b) Open the properties of the server service and select the LogOn tab.
c) Verify that the service has not been disabled for the hardware profile
that you are using. If it has, click Enable.
d) Click on the general tab.
e) In Startup type, verify that the service has not been. If it has, click
Automatic to have it start when you start the computer.

Also please find the related KB Article.

Service Does Not Start and Displays "Error 1058"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];241584

Once the server service is started, please start the computer browser
service.

Please find some information about Computer browser service and the server
service.

The primary function of the browser service is to provide a list of
computers sharing resources in a client's domain along with a list of other
domain and workgroup names across the wide-area network (WAN). This list is
provided to clients that view network resources with Network Neighborhood
or the NET VIEW command.

The server service allows you to share resources in your system to other
systems in the network.

I hope the above information helps. If there is anything unclear, please
feel free to let me know. Thank you and have a nice day!

Rashmi

> [...]

Rashmi

| From: "Viva" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Viva" <[email protected]>
| Subject: server and browser service
| Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:30:45 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| Is this question just too stupid to answer? This is my
| third time to post and have not been answered . Are the
| browser and server services necessary for networking and
| if so how do you turn them on. When I try to turn them
| on under services I get error message 1058: The service
| cannot be started, either bercause it is disabled or
| because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
| Computer browser --could not start the Computer Browser
| service on local Computer.
| Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to
| start.
| I posted all my ping ane run results on Aug 29 3:54PM.

Thank you ever so much for answering my post. When I do
as you instructed and go to Log in under server there is
no profile listed under--you can enable this service for
the hardware profiles listed below-- it is blank.

Viva

[...]

and
confers no rights.
| From: "Viva" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Viva" <[email protected]>
| Subject: server and browser service
| Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:30:45 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| Is this question just too stupid to answer? This is my
| third time to post and have not been answered . Are the
| browser and server services necessary for networking and
| if so how do you turn them on. When I try to turn them
| on under services I get error message 1058: The service
| cannot be started, either bercause it is disabled or
| because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
| Computer browser --could not start the Computer Browser
| service on local Computer.
| Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to
| start.
| I posted all my ping ane run results on Aug 29 3:54PM.

Thank you ever so much for answering my post. When I do
as you instructed and go to Log in under server there is
no profile listed under--you can enable this service for
the hardware profiles listed below-- it is blank.
.I do have a profile when I go to the system tab and look for profile.
.

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hello,

I apologize for the delayed response.

I understand that you are unable to find the Hardware profile in the 'Log
On' tab of the services.

I request you to run a system restore if you have created restore points.
If the issue is not solved, please run the repair install of Windows XP.
You will have to activate the Windows XP after performing repair install of
Windows XP.

Note: It is recommended to backup your system before performing the steps
given below.

The steps for performing the repair installations are:

1. First disable any Anti-Virus program and BIOS-level Anti-Virus
protection.
2. Make sure you have set your CD-ROM as the first priority boot device.
You may refer to your computer manual for information on how to do this.
3. Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM and reboot your computer.
4. When you see "Press any key to boot from CD" on the screen, press a key
to let your computer boot from the Windows XP CD.
5. When the computer boots from the CD-ROM, it check your hardware and then
prompt you the following options.

*To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER
*To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
* To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

6. Please press ENTER.
7. Press the F8 key to agree the Licensing Agreement.
8. You will see your current Windows XP installation is listed in a box
and get the following options:

* To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
* To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing,
press ESC.

9. Please press "R"
10. Then the setup program will repair Windows XP automatically.

NOTE: After repairing Windows XP, you may need to re-activate Windows XP.

Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP
installation. Please note that a Repair Install from the Original install
XP CD will remove Service Pack and Service Pack will need to be reapplied.

Hope the above information helps to resolve the issue.

Thanks and regards,

Rashmi

| From: <[email protected]>
| Sender: <[email protected]>