PSD99's Upgrade thread with Pictures.

Reaction score
Thanks he did indeed have some bad bad luck!

right now
it is looking like

E8400 vs Q8200.... :)

woo hoo the big 100 is up on this thread :)

Reaction score
The Q6600 looks to be the choice atm!

It is the best value for money and quite simply might end up being the best chip Intel have ever made.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah it is very good, if Aria still have the Q6700 on offer then get that. £5 more.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Yeah it is very good, if Aria still have the Q6700 on offer then get that. £5 more.

nah not worth it I reckon

wouldn't be too much of a notable increase I'm going to overclock the 6600 to 3ghz by changing the fsb from 266 to 333 :)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Is upto you mate, i have a Q6600 that sits quite happily at 3Ghz, but if i had the choice now i would have gotten the Q6700 as going to 3Ghz is easier as its 2.6 already.

Reaction score
what happens when you push your 6600 to 3.2 ghz?
what fan/heatsink u using?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Using a freezer 7 Pro, got it upto 3.6Ghz completely stable, but just leave it at 3Ghz, i probably don't use all the power of a Quad as it is let alone 3.6Ghz.

Freezer 7 Pro is good, budget, was about £15 - £16, temp as i write is 27C, with the fan set to silent.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh I know I'm being a right bugger here but I mean 3.2 Ghz as an overclock really guys.
Heres a cheaper cpu and it is clocked to 3.35 Ghz. The review is well worth reading.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/564/11

:p
laughingsmiley.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
He he just another review of the same cpu.

http://www.techspot.com/review/100-intel-core2-duo-e7200/page12.html

Furthermore, the E7200 can be easily turned into an E8400 by increasing the FSB. When selecting the 1333MHz FSB you get a 3.16GHz clock frequency which actually makes the E7200 faster than the E8400 despite only featuring half as much L2 cache.

Without having to increase the CPU voltage we were able to get our E7200 processor as far as 3.60GHz. With a little extra voltage 3.80GHz was also achievable. Even when 3.80GHz doesn't sound quite as impressive as the 4.40GHz that our E8400 processor is capable of, it's not exactly disappointing, particularly for a $133 processor.

laughingsmiley.gif

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh I know I'm being a right bugger here but I mean 3.2 Ghz as an overclock really guys.
Heres a cheaper cpu and it is clocked to 3.35 Ghz. The review is well worth reading.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/564/11

:p
laughingsmiley.gif
It is indeed a great value overclocking CPU.......however its a dual core and not a quad, so if psd wants a quad he's right to go for the Q6600 as it represents the best bang for buck out there when overclocked.

I run a fair few Q6600's- all cool as a cucumber at 3.42GHz 24/7 and they could go much further if I wished :thumb:

It really boils down to whether to go for a dual or quad I guess.

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTU1OCwyLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

This ones a serious review of the latest graphics cards and it uses the same mobo and ram you have. Thought you might fancy a look.

happywave.gif
#

wooahh nice one!

Well I went with the Q6600 at the end. The E8400 was so close to me but because I convert DVDs and encode DVDs and don't play many games I thought Q6600 it is.

That E8400 is a very special chip and the decision was very very close. :)

I hope to up the FSB from 266 to 333 so that I get a FSB of 1333 :)
That should give me an increase from 2.4ghz to 3.00 ghz

I wouldn't bother going much higher just to be safe :)

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
It is indeed a great value overclocking CPU.......however its a dual core and not a quad, so if psd wants a quad he's right to go for the Q6600 as it represents the best bang for buck out there when overclocked.

I run a fair few Q6600's- all cool as a cucumber at 3.42GHz 24/7 and they could go much further if I wished :thumb:

It really boils down to whether to go for a dual or quad I guess.

I spent a whole week on the quad vs dual argument!

It is so interesting, some reckon you will never need a quad core because most applications are not optimised others reckoned quads are the way forward.

I found the E8400 a very good priced chip and it would have definetly been my 2nd choice.

Personally I bracket the E8400 and Q6600 as the best Intel chips that have ever been made to date. :)

Just hope I get a POST now :)

Reaction score
psd99 said:
It is so interesting, some reckon you will never need a quad core because most applications are not optimised others reckoned quads are the way forward.

:)

While programs now don't really take advantage of quad-core cpu's, unless they are extremely multi-threaded, they will eventually.

Reaction score
psd99 looking sweet! just cant wait until my f***ing b*****d of a computer is up and running, i see what you mean about the similarity, same board and same memory! hope its not an omen....:S personally i fell in love with the E8400, intel are gonna be hard pushed to top the E8400/Q6600 legendary status though.
Very nice pics
olie

Reaction score
jolly_olie said:
psd99 looking sweet! just cant wait until my f***ing b*****d of a computer is up and running, i see what you mean about the similarity, same board and same memory! hope its not an omen....:S personally i fell in love with the E8400, intel are gonna be hard pushed to top the E8400/Q6600 legendary status though.
Very nice pics
olie

Cheers glad you like mate. Very coincidental and it happened at about the same time how weird is that!?

Both E8400 and Q6600 are indeed going to be legendary :)

Reaction score
Hello guys.

the CPU arrived this morning so I had to pop home from work to pick up my BIG beauty it is so heavy probably around 30 kg now.

I was SWEATING my shoulders felt like falling off my back and legs got a workout and a half...
It was a big big mission to bring this thing in.

After a while I had two of the guys here help me out, which was so wonderful of them. I put the CPU in and then the heatsink and

BEEP

JUST THE ONE

I'll say it again

BEEP and then we saw ASUS SCREEN

I'm like wow wow wow
such a great feeling

So it did work I got a POST :)

So I put in my flash disk and right away updated the BIOS to the latest version. At first we had trouble after a while it worked.

I now have the LATEST BIOS installed.

As for installing Vista it didn't work on an external DVD drive my disk wouldn't work on bootup.

So i'm going to go home and install vista with an internal drive.

Anyways abarbarian with regards to the temperatures i've got it into the bios right now and cpu temp = 38 C
MB = 35C.

Those are pretty much idle times with the case closed. what u reckon?

Pictures to come woo hoo!

Right now I have left it on IDLE in BIOS for

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Woohoo,

Good work mate, glad you got a post.

Flashing the BIOs is always tricky, with ASUS Lifestyle boards its good to have the manual as when using the EZflash utility you need to load default settings afterwards or it gets screwy.

Well done though, looking forward tot he pics, temps seem about right, although mine is a little cooler at idle 27 - 30C.

Reaction score
Cheers mate I used the EZ utility from the BIOS at first it wouldn't read the file and then I had to re-download it :)

I've got to go home and sort it all out decisions to be made too.
Don't know if I will do it today though i'll try install Vista!

Ask a Question