PSD99's Upgrade thread with Pictures.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Vista is a piece of cake to install, you literally click 3 or 4 options and it does it all.

I guarantee you will sick of the User security settings though. :lol:

Reaction score
It will probably take a day or two to tweak it around. I understand going from XP to Vista might be a challenge at first. :)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Not really, Vista is XP, it just looks prettier and is alot smarter.

It can be a pain in the arse sometimes as its like a little kid who wants to help all the time but doesn't know the best way to do it, or the way you would do it.

Did you get Home Premium or Ultimate??? 32 or 64?

The only things i have done to Vista is instead of it automatically updating it lets me know what is available and i pick what to download and install.

Also the User Account Security, you open the control panel and its like " are you sure " yes now shut up, go into device manager " are you sure " arrrggghhhhhhh.

Is easy to turn off though.

Reaction score
Ultimate 64 edition mate. :)

yes ideally I would want to turn that feature off must be annoying.

Slight predicament I also want to install XP but only got 32 bit edition.
On my Samsung 250gb I got three partitions A B and C

Roughly something like 117gb/60gb/50gb

On A I am installing Vista
on B will be my documents/desktop
on C will be a possible XP 32 Bit

Then a completely seperate drive for Fedora. But that will be for later :)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Ooooooooo, ultimate eh!

You should have about 232 left on a 250GB HDD, never done dual booting.

To turn the User account thing off, just go Control Panel - User Accounts then there is a box you can untick, that says i am really annoying security user account crap, you have to restart after.

Best bet i found when installing Vista is install it, but don't have it hooked upto the net, install what ever drivers you need, then let it update, as a few peeps have problems with Windows Update sticking drivers where they shouldn't on a fresh install, i guess it gets excited.

Reaction score
thanks will bear it in mind.

Dual booting is excellent but not with Linux and Windows on the same drive wouldn't bother!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hooray psd9, way to go mate. :D

Mobo temp sounds good. Not sure about the cpu temp, seems a touch high to me. You did put the right amount of paste on? Course you did. See how the temps look mate as you go on. I have not had such a powerful pc so am not able to offer any advice. Some of the othwer folk here will chip in with some info I'm sure.

:D

Reaction score
Yes mate I did I also used that silver stuff that people at work reccomended over my "pva glue."

Well I heard up to around 45 C should be alrite around 50C spells trouble wonder what everyone else gets??

I think I will stick with and and I will pay you very soon dude. :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You need to use something like Real Temp or Core Temp when the PC is in use rather than rely on the bios reading to be honest - but I don't think 38C seems high.

The Q6600 on the machine I'm using at the moment runs at 49-55C across the cores at 3.42GHz with a 100% crunching load - but I have others Intel quad CPU's that run happily 24/7 at over 70C - so I wouldn't worry about going over 50C :thumb:

Reaction score
woahh over 70C? Gosh

Well I spent 3/4 hours in the end neatening up the insides of her :) Only OS installed so far is Windows XP 32 Bit edition but a keyboard that only worked when it wanted to.

No Vista YET I need to get a proper keyboard for that.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Rubbing hands in glee. I got a brand new multi function (extra buttons) keyboard and speaker and three button mouse set you can have for £9 + postage.Keys are nice, sounds not bad, mouse neat. All in a luverly seductive sexy black and silver.

nod.gif

Reaction score
lol

Thanks but no thanks the keyboard is just a temporary solution.

I am about to install Vista wish me luck :)

Reaction score
I installed Vista I am currently installing all my applications.

I still have not take my old machine apart in fact I am doing something rather clever.
I have ran a cross connected cable from the old rig to the new one and then I used my laptop to remotely connect to the old rig then once in the old rig I used RDP again to log into the new rig.

I do this because I can't be asked to sit in this room so I can install applications remotely as the new rig doesn't have wireless yet.

Okay so far what do I think of vista?

Quietly pleased so far, that message UAC thing bothered me a lot so I turned it off.
I couldn't find CMD so I just ran it from task manager. The GUI looks a lot better than XP. The features are about the same except lots of upgrades and fail safe methods. Some of them seem annoying.

The bad side is the networking. I got a network cable running from the old rig to the new and currently copying around 60gb of my files over and it's going to take just over an hour. The speed is pants it is like 22mb a sec at the max! Right now it is on 11mb a second, that is really pants! I hope this won't affect streaming over from new rig to my xbox.
So some of you were right networking is very slow, I dread to think how bad it will be when I use wireless.

The plan is to install applications to Vista, copy over some more files.

Then when I am ready I will take apart the old machine and stick in my TV Card, Wireless card and the remaining drives into the new rig! Then it will be over, well for now anyway.

I have also installed Fedora to another drive to which I wanted to install UBUNTU to the exact same drive... Bit of a mess up so right now only Fedora on that one.

I also neatened up the insides of the new rig it is looking sexy. I will take pictures I got to add one of those very slim line IDE cables.

Before I leave this post I contemplate hooking up an external hard drive to copy files over because this is driving me senile. I've ridden quicker on my bikecycle!

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Copying of IDE hard drives is slow, what the Cache on it?

Get yourself some new SATA2 HDD with 32MB cache, then you can copy at 80MB/S.

Reaction score
Well it could be 8mb or something.

TBH most of my drives are SATA 1 but I heard the transfer rate and bandwidth against SATA 2 will not be so superior.
I guess it don't bother me that much.

I am probably going to take the old PC apart tomorrow because right now (on here) I am creating a backup image of my operating system partition and it is going to take more than 4 hours - super slow.

In the meantime I am copying over files from old rig to new.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well glad it all works mate, looking forward to seeing some nice glossy images of the whole thing, if you get chance can you test out the fans for me on the 9800GT as i'm looking at purchasing the S1.

Thanks mate.

Reaction score
okay cool mate once I start overclocking and playing games i'll look into it :)

The S1 is massive it looks good too :) Proper SILENT solution too

Reaction score
psd99 said:
okay cool mate once I start overclocking and playing games i'll look into it :)

The S1 is massive it looks good too :) Proper SILENT solution too

This always makes me laugh to hear people talking about their rigs/video cards etc been proper silent..lol you obviously haven't played C.O.D 4 in my house yet..I can barely hear myself think let alone a little whirring noise from a fan...I can accept it if you are using your rig to watch DVD's then that can be a tad annoying, unless the suround sound is turned up to the correct volume..At the end of the day does it really matter if it makes a small noise...?????????

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
This always makes me laugh to hear people talking about their rigs/video cards etc been proper silent..lol you obviously haven't played C.O.D 4 in my house yet..I can barely hear myself think let alone a little whirring noise from a fan...I can accept it if you are using your rig to watch DVD's then that can be a tad annoying, unless the suround sound is turned up to the correct volume..At the end of the day does it really matter if it makes a small noise...?????????

Yes it does.

It's a goal to be achieved.

Think Word processing. Think... that awkward letter or the next line of chapter 3 of your novel.

You want silence to think, to contemplate, to allow inspiration to hit home.

Last thing you want is to hear half a dozen assorted fans whirring away.

Although having said that I think psd99 has an obsession, a suitable case for treatment, probably.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Although having said that I think psd99 has an obsession, a suitable case for treatment, probably.

As Psychology is one of me qualifications, I could go through psd99's threads and do a bit of a study..:bow: :bow: :lol: :lol:
But anyway on a serious note, while I accept it to be an achievement..Me personaly I like to hear a littel noise..That way I know my well spent £££'s are working..And to add to much silence drives me potty...

Ask a Question