PSD99's Upgrade thread with Pictures.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

No don't be worried, seriously you will not get anything out of it without a processor.

Reaction score
thanks I hope so I am contemplating taking it into work
we use socket 771 processor I reckon it would definetly fit but they are server based

the problem I got is the cooler. All we got is s h it big heatsinks and no fans on them because the servers utilise really big case fans that move a lot of air. I am tempted to try out a cpu and see what happens but at the same time I am worried I might do some damage to my board.

Ideally I would like to try it out so that I can update my BIOS and install Vista which I got yesterday. I decided to get Vista premium 64 bit edition. I hope it is worth the money!!

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah i wouldn't bother putting a socket 771 CPU in a socket 775 board, i think the Xeon processors are 771?

Not a good idea.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Yeah i wouldn't bother putting a socket 771 CPU in a socket 775 board, i think the Xeon processors are 771?

Not a good idea.

Thanks for telling me they are indeed Xeon, more server based perhaps the risks outweigh any success!

I think I will leave it.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah would just wait until you get your shiny new CPU, you haven't got a lot left to get have you?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
Does the clearance in my pictures suggest that your fan will fit in my board?

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/026/scnj1100p.html

Looks like it will fit. Have a look at the compatability list. Looks like it fits without a special bracket too.

I used the fan so it comes without a fan. But I did force fit it on my 754 mobo and it works with or without the fan. Shame it will not fit on me new mobo either.

:)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
sounds good to be but do you have all those parts in the linked picture?

I have got a 120mm noctua case fan will that fit in this thing? I think I will put a fan on there just to be on the safe safe side. :)

It doesn't have my board on here:
http://www.scythe-usa.com/support/cpu/008/ASUS-NinjaB.html

But I think it would be worth the risk for a tenner.

It has all the bits even the original box.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Well more to upgrade situation I have downloaded the latest BIOS and put this on a USB memory stick that has a FAT 32 partitioning system.

Also been looking closely at what CPU my current BIOS may support looks like there is a good chance that a possible Q9300 will give me a POST. But that isn't confirmed.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I stuck it in the post yesterday matey. If you don't like it or it don't fit no problem just post it back and I'll refund you the postage. If it does fit and work you will have awesome cooling for your cpu.

Your pc will be cool enough for penguins.
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Well mate a very big thank you to you I really appreciate that. I got lazy to measure the dimensions my bad.

I hope it will fit I could try fitting it without a CPU. If it doesn't fit I will send it back and reimburse the postage costs to you.
If it does fit I'll give you the price you named :)

Cheers.

psd99

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
Well mate a very big thank you to you I really appreciate that. I got lazy to measure the dimensions my bad.

I hope it will fit I could try fitting it without a CPU. If it doesn't fit I will send it back and reimburse the postage costs to you.
If it does fit I'll give you the price you named :)

Cheers.

psd99

You could try gently putting it in place to see if it has clearance. Do not try to fit it by tightening the screw locators untill you have a cpu in place, that would be plain silly.
You will have to clean of the paste from the base as I did not have time to clean it. Also you will notice some dents on some of the copper tubes where I made some mods to try to make it fit me mobo, these do not interfere with its efficency.
Like I said earlier, if it is not suitable I'lll bear the postage costs each way.
Hope you got a big case as that is one BIG cooler.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Yes thanks will bear that in mind. I've got a 120mm noctua fan here which I will try to attach to it. I don't think I even need to actually screw that heasink in. Just need to place it to see if there is enough clearance.

I hope it will fit and will let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
Hi mate I got the fan just now thank you.

I know if I didn't try it right away I won't get a chance for a while.

I don't think it fits. It is NOT flush against the socket. I can't see how it is going to fit there and stay there.
There is this metal asus plate in the way.

Well pictures didn't come out so great so I am trying to upload a vid on utube
but my DAMN crap ISP is ****ing me off Hold tight.

Reaction score
Well even if I rotate the thing it is even harder to fit that in.

I might see if I can get a 2nd opinion and take it into work and see what other people think, but that is a big mission. I'll see.

At times like this I wish I knew Japanese or Chinese :)

Reaction score
okay I think I might be able to fit it

I was using the wrong bracket dooh

so u had it on 478?

I screwed in the 775 into the heatsink and it's now sitting in there BUT Im gna grab a **** long screwdriver
to put in those push pins

god knows how im gona be able to rotate 'em

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Was gonna say it should fit, not sure what the cooling effect is gonna be on a Quad Core, but hey Scythe are good, so fingers crossed.

Ask a Question