PSD99 needs to upgrade

Reaction score
dude just imagine 16 GB of ram! :) I've played with a machine like that before
4 quad cores with 32 GB of ram totally insane

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Have you read the link I gave ? An Sexy Becks has been posting some good reviews on the lastest chipsets and mobos recently.
If I were you I'd hold of for a month or two. Do some more reasearch is my best tip.

4 GB of memory is cheap if you look out for offers but is only useful if you do a lot of video stuff or raw picture work.

My Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe has verygood on board wi-fi and it acts as a AP as well. Has the fanless cooling and it works very well.

Here is a link to a lot of motherboard reviews,

http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/G45-780G-Efficiency,1999.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Atom-Athlon-Efficient,1997.html

happywave.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
nice but why wait for a few months?

Anything to do with the new Intel X52 chipset?

Well I could leave my current pc on 24/7 for the next few months.........but I am thinking might as well get it over and done with!

Reaction score
Flopps suggestion:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-258-AS

This board still looks good and then one me and my colleagues at work agreed on:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145747

See there are a lot of variations of the Asus P5Q
there is the P5Q pro, P5Q deluxe, P5Q3, and the P5Q-E which is the one I am considering.

I did a search about the differences between these boards and found this:

http://www.cpu3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=140502
There are just a few differences between the P5Q-E and P5Q-Deluxe:
* Max 10 vs Max 12 USB ports
* 8 phase vs 16 phase power design
* Express Gate (to install on HD) vs Express Gate SSD

The P5Q Pro version on the other hand misses a lot of features like some of the back I/O ports(eSata, LAN), extra cooling, better soundchip, ...

So I'd recommend to go with the P5Q-E and P5Q-Deluxe, the change between these 2 isn't that big, and I therefore recommend to take a look at the price difference and if these functions are even worth it to you.

PS: CPU3D did a review of the P5Q-E version.

So as you can see the P5Q-E would be the best logical choice.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
There are a few major changes coming this year so that might push prices down on some hardware. Also we are possibly looking at a recesion in the economy and if that happens prices will plummet for a short while. It always pays to read up , think, readup and think again about what you actualy need. A fool and his money and all that.

Besides where are you going to find a retailer that deals in stamps.

:p
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
haha forget about stamps that doesn't matter here.

"Few major changes."

Ah come on you got to be more specific it is like going into a car dealer and saying " I want a car with 4 wheels."
I have been planning this for AGES time seems good right now because of my motherboard problems.

Reaction score
Right I got the case I was dreaming about the COSMOS :)

It is big but my current case is a little bigger.
I just took lots of pictures watch out for the update with pictures.

Next thing to buy is the motherboard and memory!!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTU0MSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

This is the sort of thing I was on about. The board supports DDR3 memory and has the fancy sound stuff and just look at the speeds it attains with fairly cheap cpu's. So it may be a bit more that the boards you have been looking at, but it is more future proof, has better stuff on it and is probably a better buy for your buck.

At teh end of the day you will make your own choice based upon lots of variable info and hopefully you will be happy with your choice for a long long time.

Happy shopping.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
There are a few major changes coming this year so that might push prices down on some hardware. Also we are possibly looking at a recesion in the economy and if that happens prices will plummet for a short while. It always pays to read up , think, readup and think again about what you actualy need. A fool and his money and all that.

Besides where are you going to find a retailer that deals in stamps.

:p
laughingsmiley.gif

Thanks that motherboard looks amazing.

Few major changes?

Okay I think I got a little idea now.

Are you on about DDR3 memory and the new Intel X58 chipset due to come out in September? (2 days time) :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Yep, thats the sort of thing I menat, there are changes in cpu's and graphics cards and mobos and memory in some quite radical ways this year already. I have noticed that some cpu's and graphics cards are really dropping in price already. Along with the rises in heating bills and the threat of recession I recon that a canny shopper can get some real bang for the buck in the next few months.

Happy building matey.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
lol "canny" shopper I thought canny means cannot in Scottish?

Yes big decision time

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
lol "canny" shopper I thought canny means cannot in Scottish?

Yes big decision time

och ye wee sassenach, de ya nae ken the meaning of the queen's english?

'canny' means sussed, wise, sharp whereas 'cannae' means cannot.

u doant no nuffink u doent ;)

Reaction score
well i'm not a northern numpty!! :)

nah I still think canny means cannot I reckon I heard Scottish people say that

"I canny be bothered"

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
well i'm not a northern numpty!! :)

nah I still think canny means cannot I reckon I heard Scottish people say that

"I canny be bothered"

Refer to my last post.

Study.

Realise with a sudden disheartening clarity that you are indeed thick as a brick.

It takes all sorts :rolleyes:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Refer to my last post.

Study.

Realise with a sudden disheartening clarity that you are indeed thick as a brick.

It takes all sorts :rolleyes:

Well Tim nice but Dim but not Flopps old and bald :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
Well Tim nice but Dim but not Flopps old and bald :)

First, you name a 1989 movie as a seventies movie and now you tell me I'm bald.

Hang on, just going to take a look in the mirror.

Nope, hair's still there, albeit bright white. And yes, I'm old.

And if you're really lucky my misogynist disliker of Northern folk, one day you may be as old as me and can reminisce on all kinds of things, notably numerous encounters with females, a thousand bands, a hundred festivals and countless disco bookings.

Oh, and three kids. If I dropped dead tomorrow - which on past form I may well do - no regrets, it's been good :)

As for you, you're wrong about 'canny' maybe you're too lazy to read and understand my explanation.

Have a nice day :)

Reaction score
haha easy now keep your hair on!!! :)

Well I'm not that old, I got no kids and yes I am damn lazy. 10 out of 10 there Flopps.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
With killer looks and unsurpassed performance, ASUS proves once again why its the best motherboard manufacturer in the game. They made another exciting addition to their Republic of Gamers product line as the Maximus II Formula provides everything you should be looking for in a board with its exceptional layout, outstanding features and remarkable overclocking ability.

The biggest problem with this board is the price. It is still less expensive than most high end (X48, 790i) motherboards but when compared to other P45 boards, the Maximus II Formula is a bit on the high side. Also, the cost factor comes into play with the impending release of Nehalem and the new X58 chipset that accompanies it. Do you want to spend over $200 on this board with new tech supposedly right around the corner?

Its obvious that ASUS decided to send Socket 775 out with a bang. This product is the best P45 board I've tested and has the complete package. If you are looking to upgrade or want to start a new build, ASUS Maximus II Formula motherboard is a magnificent choice and should be very high on your list.

Taken from,

http://www.hardwarelogic.com/news/132/ARTICLE/4360/1/2008-09-02.html

Thats the sort of thing I was thinking of with my previous comments.

nod.gif

Reaction score
Thanks for that mate well my main machine has let me down.

I had to restart it yesterday because Windows crashed and once again no post. I am writing this so I can look at this in the future. I haven't opened her up yet but I might do today to get her back online.

I have decided on a board and am very close to getting it. It is DDR3 and it is Asus. :)
I think I will get motherboard and DDR3 memory soon.

Still got to post those pictures up of my initial Cosmos experience. Coming soon....

Ask a Question