New computer build

Reaction score
Hi all as you may see i am a newbie to this site.
I am in the process compiling new parts for my build.
Will be taking out parts from my other comp,
CPU, Skylake i7
Memory--- 16gig ddr3
Plus various h/d's and optical drives.
My new build
Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Computer Case "RC–902XB–KKN2
Thermaltake Smart SE 630W 80+ Bronze
GIGABYTE Z270 Gaming K3 1151 7th Gen DDR4 CrossFireX ATX Motherboard
SilverStone SST-PP07-BTSR - 30cm Molex
CableDeconn High Speed 6Gbps 4pcs/set Sata Sas Cable High Quality for Server 1M
Thermaltake CL-P021-CA12BU-A Ring Silent 12 Pro CPU Cooler and Fan
SilverStone SST-SA022 - Dual Internal Mini SAS 26pin SFF8087 to External 36pin SFF8088 PCI-E Panel in PCI-E Card Bracket.

The question is would all these parts be compatible.
I have changed the font colour as to the ones i am not sure about.
Your help would be most welcome.
SteveR

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Steve, welcome to the forums :).

That's a nice system you're building there. Just a few questions... so I can make sure the answer has some value.
  • Which graphics card are you using in your new system? (as this may alter the PSU choice)
  • What type/how many HDDs/Optical drives do you have (again, PSU choice)
  • Do you have external SAS drives (just checking, as it's unusual to have these).
The new motherboard will work with your existing 6th Gen CPU, however you've got DDR3 RAM and the new motherboard requires DDR4. The cooler works with that socket (LGA1151), so that's ok.

We'd need to know a little more about the drives to help with the external SAS headers you've chosen, as well as the power cables. The PSU will likely have plenty of drive power connectors, so if you're buying an additional one, you must have a lot of drives (which may require a beefier CPU, depending on type). Are external drives something you're after?

Reaction score
Hi it was kind of you to give me a quick reply.
I have been looking around my system checking out a few things you have mentioned.
I have an ASUS GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 - NVIDIA GTX 750Ti OC 1150MHz 5400MHz 2GB 128-bit DDR5 DUAL-LINK DVI-I/DVI-D HDMI PCI-E GRAPHICS CARD
Seagate Expansion 5 TB USB 3.0 Desktop 3.5 inch External Hard Drive for PC,
Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer
Pioneer BDR-S07XLT 12x Blu-ray Disc Writer Retail Kit
Corsair CSSD-N120GBGTXB-BK Neutron GTX 120GB SATA 3 Solid State Drive
Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB 2.5 inch SATA III Solid State Drive - Black
And x4 internal sata h/d's.
I am happy with the system i have but its in a tower and i need to down scale.
Thanks
SteveR

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
No problem, pleasure to help :).

Was there a reason you added the "SilverStone SST-SA022" - it's quite an unusual thing to require and I can't see anything on your specs list that needs it? You've only got one external drive, and that uses USB. Were you hoping to downsize from the

Your new motherboard has 8 x SATA connectors, so that should support all of your drives (only just!). However... the case will only support 4 drives. Were you going to use some of the drives externally, and that's why you had the SAS ports (although this only adds 2)?

Is the only reason you are changing components so that you can downsize? If so, you may be able to re-use your existing motherboard and PSU.

Ask a Question