Psd99 Upgrading

Reaction score
Right everyone here I come again! Firstly This took me around an hour to type so please bear with me………….

I joined this forum around 3 years ago to ask a question about my then newly built system!

Now once again 3 years later I WANT TO UPGRADE MY PC!

So please I would like everyone’s help and suggestions!

Before everything I would like to talk you through my current system this is the one I want to upgrade:

Case: Blue Chiftech Tower

Motherboard : Lex BN790E Socket A

CPU : XP1800

CPU FAN: Zalman CNPS 7000A-Cu

PSU Fan : Silenced Enermax 365W

Memory: 512MB PC2100

Hardrives: Western Digital Cavair 320GB

Seagate Barracude 120GB

Graphics card: NVidia FX5200 128MB

Lite On CDRW 52X

DVDRW 8X Pioneer

Acer 17inch TFT

Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

Logitech Speakers 5.1

Now the PCI SLOTS (In Order)

PCI1= Wireless Netgear Network Card

PCI2 = Hauppage Works Television Card

PCI3: Creative Labs Soundcard

PCI4 : Normal NIC Card

PCI5: Controller Card with firewire/usb2 ports and internal Sata and pata connections.

Now here is the initial specification for my new pc:

I want something that is NOT LOUD I don’t like noise, I want REAL power

The budget is to be around £400-£500

Looking at my specifications I have decided to DEFINETLY replace and get the following :

1. NEW MOTHERBOARD

2. NEW CPU

3. NEW MEMORY

Now besides these three big parts I’m also considering replacing:

PSU SUPPLY (KGB 911 sold me an QTEC 550W I think it’s that much I may use this)

CPU FAN (I’m not so sure on my CPU just yet but I would like to keep my current fan)

HARD DRIVES: (I’m looking to get two SATA Samsung Spin points as I hear they are v Silent)

GRAPHICS CARD (ONLY if I NEED TO)

Okay so I am being lazy because I have not even listed a potential system for everyone here on PCR to look at and advise me but, I know there are lots of people with great minds here and great minds think alike so I’m hoping u can help me decide on a new quiet and powerful system!

If there would be one single component that I am prepared to spends lots of it would be the MOTHERBOARD!

Thank you for reading… I look forward to your educated replies!

PSD99

Feb 2003 – Jan 2006

Reaction score
**Do Not Use The Qtec Power Supply If You Value Your Life And Your New Components***

Righto, you definatly want to go for a Socket 939 system i think. You can get rid of the network card as all motherboards nowadays come with 10/100/ and some 1000 mpbs ports.

Get a couple of Samsung Spinpoint SATA-II drives and RAID0 them, and get a *good* motherboard that supports it - maybe an Abit An8 Fatality or Asus S8N SLI Deluxe...

Gig or two of memory - corsair, geil, ocz, kingston - should be good...

The X800 GT/GTO/XT/XTPE or something towards the high end of the scale but not quite there should be good, obviously this would be PCI Express. You will need to get rid of the 5200.

Pick up a Hiper Type R 580w PSU - the one like mine - well worth it. So easy to use...

You may aswell sell off your system as a working unit if its easier than butchering it, you might get more. perhaps. You wont be keeping much at all.

And for gods sake....

DONT USE THE QTEC PSU

Last edited:
Reaction score
Heres a start... Find a case :)

All prices inc VAT, from OCUK so you can probably find a fair bit cheaper elsewhere, but all of the below are excellent components. Didnt add it up but is probably a little over budget...

Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-088-AS) £76.32
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA3500BPBOX) (CP-119-AM) £144.47
GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5 (GE1GB3200BHDC) (MY-005-GL) £56.34
Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 GTO² 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-101-SP) £135.07 (this is good)*
Samsung SpinPoint P HD160JJ 160GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-024-SA) £59.63
Samsung SpinPoint P HD160JJ 160GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-024-SA) £59.63
Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU - Red UV (CA-008-HP) £64.57

Merging the blistering frame-rates of the enthusiast realm with the frugality of the mainstream is where the perfect blend of Hybrid lies, the next generation Sapphire RADEON X800 GTO²! Built upon industry acclaimed tech and tweaked to perfection is the moniker of any Sapphire product and the X800 GTO² does not disappoint with it is 12 Pixel Pipelines (moddable to 16) and 256MB of onboard GDDR3 memory while utilizing a 256-bit memory interface. The only limit to the power you wield is your imagination and the hardware in your PC! Push your PC’s performance threshold and realize the true potential of PCI-Express and the Sapphire RADEON X800 GTO²!

- ATI Radeon R480 Core as used in X850 XT Platinum graphics card
- 400MHz GPU Clock Speed (Highly overclockable)
- 256MB 980MHz GDDR3 memory accelerates the latest cutting edge 3D applications (Highly overclockable)
- 256-bit quad-channel GDDR3 memory interface
- Twelve pixel pipelines (Moddable to sixteen pipelines, see modding guide below)
- Six programmable vertex shader pipelines
- Early reports indicate that with the modded bios these cards have been overclocked upto X850 XT PE clock speeds which gives a 35% performance boost. (Modding of card and bios does invalidate warranty)

16 Pipeline enable instructions (Modification of BIOS voids warranty!!)

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
why do you want new hard drives?? you have good storage or are you looking for speed? if you are buying new hard drives and replacing your kit cant you sell the pold stuff and generate more funds. definately go for an amd skt 939 system and DONT use that psu buy a new one unless yoyu wana shell out the money again on new parts;)
so

1)socket 939 cpu: amd 64 3700+ san diego (1mb l2 cache)
2)asus mb dont know which one is the best though for what you have
3)atleast 1gb of memory try to get 2gb

i dont know much bout hd's so wont give any advice bout that

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
chris spoke the truth

the qtec is a piece of s**t

sorry, but that true

if you get new system, you are are going to need a new grafix card, pci-e. you have an agp card atm, which won't work with new board

you could keep a lot of your current stuff - case; hard drives & optical drives

buy a retail AMD CPU, use the stock cooler, it will be Ok (and get a socket 939 board/cpu)

motherboard:

my opinion only

Abit are no longer king of the hill since their main guy left to form DFI

only boards wirth considering, imo, are Asus, DFI and maybe, if you budget oriented, Asrock

before you do anything, please, please, listen to advice here

Reaction score
first of all

thanks for telling me about the QTEC
Where the hell is KGB To see this he sold it to me but it was a bargain!but whats wrong with it?

thanks for taking the long time to reply back Postill greatly appreciated! now let me look into your system:

I dont think i will be selling the current pc as a whole unit im looking to sell each part individually

such as mobo, cpu, harddrives, nic card

i dont think i will sell the memory cuz i can put it into another machine.

now from the specs u mentioned thanks for telling me about the fx5200 i didnt know that it dont fit pci express boards.
but looking at the price of that graphics card i think its a bit too much.

i like the cpu and memory looks quite powerful, 1. would u know if i could keep the same cpu fan as its quiet?

2. this psu u got is it SILENCED? please give me a link for this.

3. i dont think i want to get a new case okay so the one i got is getting old but if u can find me a really good BIG TOWER i mite be interested.

4. this graphic card looks great but i dont really fancy spending that much prhaps this money can go to a better motherboard!?

5. what about my sound card? out the window too?
thanks for your help.

psd99

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
before you do anything, please, please, listen to advice here

thanks

well Flopps I might be posting here for the next 40 nights be4 i buy the stuff!
becuase the advice given here is just quite simply world class!

Reaction score
chelseafc2005 said:
why do you want new hard drives?? you have good storage or are you looking for speed? if you are buying new hard drives and replacing your kit cant you sell the old stuff and generate more funds. definately go for an amd skt 939 system and DONT use that psu buy a new one unless yoyu wana shell out the money again on new parts;)
so

1)socket 939 cpu: amd 64 3700+ san diego (1mb l2 cache)
2)asus mb dont know which one is the best though for what you have
3)atleast 1gb of memory try to get 2gb

thanks id like to replace my harddrives because my current ones are getting loud and its annoying me im gona have to install my O.S neways so i mite aswell get new ones.

thanks yes i will look into getting 2gb of memory.

and Asuz have always been my personal choice for sure!"

Reaction score
Definately go for a 3700+. It is only £20 more than a 3500+...

Jeantech is a much better brand than Qtec, but that link at the bottom of the page doesn't work anymore, so it is difficult to get any more specific info on it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The PSU will need to be ATX 2.0 specification for it to run a PCI-e system...

The Hiper is a completely silent PSU - 120mm low rpm fan... i doubt the Jeantec PSU is silent but it's probably good, if it has dual 12v rails.

Keep your current case and drives then :)

The graphics card is very very good... personally if you do any gaming i wouldnt get anything much less powerful, and thats a bargain.

The HDD's are good - SATA and silent. Reliable too.

The Asus motherboard is excellent - its a top end board (though not stupid money) and has a nice chipset.

You can use your PCI sound card if you want - if its better than what the Asus motherboard has to offer... probably 7.1 surround.

No you cant keep your current cpu fan - the stock 939 ones are pretty inaudiable anyway.

the main thing you can do to cut noise is get a case that has space for 120mm cooling fans and get 2 silent ones. then with a silent psu you will struggle to hear it.

Reaction score
thanks look at the jeantech psu:

FEATURES

20/24pin power connector
PCI express connector
Specification Meets Intel ATX 12V Guidelines
DUEL BALL BEARING FAN
S-ATA Connector
Smart Automatic fan speed control
Super-Low Noise under all load conditions
Active PFC function PF>0.95
Comprehensive Protection features
Complies with strict safety standards
High quality assurance
100% Hi-POT & ATE function test
100% Burn-In and AC input cycled on/off under high temperature conditions.

ENVIRONMENTAL

Operating temperature: 0¢J to 50¢J
Storage temperature : -40¢J to +60¢J
Cooling : Self contained fan with speed control in regard
to O/P load or ambient Temp.
MTBF : > 100,000 hours at 75% load and 25¢J
ambient conditions

http://www.jeantech.com/Products/Power_Supply/500W/500w.html

it looks to have pci express on there thats great could save me some money but i want to be sure it is a good one if not i can buy your one postill! im just looking on ocuk too see a system hold up....

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
a decent motherboard i a must, that motherboard is cool its basically the premium board but with dual 16x PCI-E slots, they may become more ueful in the future if you get a second graphics card or another expansion card that can take advantage of it the only downside for getting the best is its about £150

Reaction score
Dude - why do you want a gaming motherboard when you aren't willing to spend the money on a fairly decent graphics card?

That board is SLI - which from what you have been saying, i doubt you will even consider getting 2 graphics cards.

if you are adament you want a better M/b then get this one:

Asus A8N-SLi SE nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-101-AS)

It's cheaper and you wont notice the difference.

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Dude - why do you want a gaming motherboard when you aren't willing to spend the money on a fairly decent graphics card?

That board is SLI - which from what you have been saying, i doubt you will even consider getting 2 graphics cards.

if you are adament you want a better M/b then get this one:

Asus A8N-SLi SE nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-101-AS)

It's cheaper and you wont notice the difference.

thats cool man i can live with that
im looking at all the options u see

if u think that gfx is really worth it ill do that and the top mbo!
not a problem, im gona have to get a new gfx neways! :p

Reaction score
im just lost a bit on memory right now im not so sure what memory i should get
theres so many blody different typed

i think i might go for 2gb!

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
a decent motherboard i a must, that motherboard is cool its basically the premium board but with dual 16x PCI-E slots, they may become more ueful in the future if you get a second graphics card or another expansion card that can take advantage of it the only downside for getting the best is its about £150

Postill reckons its more of a gaming board so i mite go for the one he suggested!
will see what happens.

but if its 150 for a mobo
im cool with that this is for me the most ~IMPORTANT part of any system!

Reaction score
neways about memory

HTF can it actually make noise!?
thats new to me!

like i said silence silence silence in mind and 2gb too!

Ask a Question