Psd99 Upgrading

Reaction score
Memory is silent.

It is important to get a good motherboard, but sometimes its a bit pointless to get the best that money can buy :)

Get a couple gig of GeIL value RAM. Cheap as chips (no pun intended) and good quality.

Either of the motherboards i suggested, the RAID array of the 2 identical HDD's, a couple gig of memory, that X800 GTO2 graphics card, and the 3500 or 3700 cpu (retail package) and your flying.

The first motherboard i suggested should do you fine. it has the same chip on it as the one double the price.

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Memory is silent.

It is important to get a good motherboard, but sometimes its a bit pointless to get the best that money can buy :)

Get a couple gig of GeIL value RAM. Cheap as chips (no pun intended) and good quality.

Either of the motherboards i suggested, the RAID array of the 2 identical HDD's, a couple gig of memory, that X800 GTO2 graphics card, and the 3500 or 3700 cpu (retail package) and your flying.

The first motherboard i suggested should do you fine. it has the same chip on it as the one double the price.

thanks now shoot me again!

but how will raid help me then?

i will prb go for 200/250gb sata samsung spinpoints but whats the point of going for raid?

Reaction score
my cpu fan is supported!!!
i just looked on the website it supports all 939 processors!

but only god knows how im gona fit it i gues ill look on the site cuz in my manual it only tells one how to fit a
Athlon 64 -745 cpu

Reaction score
right here u go:

Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi X16 (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-118-AS)
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA3200BPBOX) (CP-118-AM)
GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS3 (GE2GB3200BDC) (MY-046-GL)

all together around £395

kind of looking at these three components for sure or there abouts!

now i need a GOOD PCI express graphics card and two sata harddrives!
budget gone out of the window!

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
why are you spending more money on the mb than on the cpu?? I would reccomend getting something like the 3700+ skt 939 san diego as i posted earlier if you arent going to game why get an sli motherboard?? sliu adds about 40 quid to the price of the motherboard and if u aint gona use it why buy it??

Reaction score
Get the motherboard that i suggested you wont notice anything, use the money you have saved doing that getting a 3700+ processor, get the X800GTO2 if you dont want SLI, or a

Leadtek GeForce 7800GT Extreme Edition 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-073-LT) If you do want to use SLI in the future.

I think the wayyy expensive motherboard is a tad pointless...

Get 2 of the SATA-II hard drives in the 160Gb flavour, and RAID0 them.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've just come back to this thread so.....

I'd just like to say if you have a 500W Jeantech PSU you may as well use it.

I'm thinking more of your budget than anything but the Jeantech's are actually quite good, I've used quite a few of them.

Not the most silent PSU in the world but they really don't make much noise.

Just seems pointless to me buying another PSU if you have one sitting there that can do the job, it will leave you more money to spend on other items.

Reaction score
chelseafc2005 said:
why are you spending more money on the mb than on the cpu?? I would reccomend getting something like the 3700+ skt 939 san diego as i posted earlier if you arent going to game why get an sli motherboard?? sliu adds about 40 quid to the price of the motherboard and if u aint gona use it why buy it??

reason being is that i could upgrade the cpu at any time just take it out and put a new one in.
but for sure i wont be upgrading my motherboard for a very long time this is the heart of my pc i want the best and only the best at this moment in time.
and this particular mb seems to have silence as one of its highlites too which is swinging me closer! i just went down to the local pc shop and had a look at it
i must say its gloomy and dark today BUT im in love! well with that board u got to see it to beleive it its crazy! been saving up for maybe 8-10 months now so im sure itll be worth the wait!

i do to some gaming im really into football management but yes it dont need a good gfx!
also i like to play sports games but i want to get into shoot em ups!
i got the screen for it and a great sound system!

i see a big price diference between the cpu i mentioned which is 3200 and 3500 i think its better vfm. i could always change this later when the price drops!

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Get 2 of the SATA-II hard drives in the 160Gb flavour, and RAID0 them.

sorry but what will raid0 do to em i may go for 250gb to make it 500 overall also chuck in my current 120gb seagate pata

is raid 0 easy to set up i aint got a clue abt raid and will it run operating system from raid?

Reaction score
postill, u know the mobo u suggested:
Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra

there is a fan on there im not familair with these new fans but it obviiosly will make some sort of noise this does worry me a little

but looking at the two most notable is the price difference and the fact that the Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi X16 has two pci e slots which is crazy!

also it seems to have - Fanless Design - Heat Pipe & Stack Cool 2
which like i said quiet is very very important in my system

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I've just come back to this thread so.....

I'd just like to say if you have a 500W Jeantech PSU you may as well use it.

I'm thinking more of your budget than anything but the Jeantech's are actually quite good, I've used quite a few of them.

Not the most silent PSU in the world but they really don't make much noise.

Just seems pointless to me buying another PSU if you have one sitting there that can do the job, it will leave you more money to spend on other items.

cool thanks

well im going to try out the jeantech 500w on my other busted machine and record the dB levels!

if im happy its not too loud it is meant to be silenced then ill stick with it if not im gona go sell it and get the one Postill suggested it looks good u know
!

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
i still dont think that you hvae to buy the most expensive mb to have a silent system with a less expensive mb with a fan inside a case you will barely hear anything. and also as i said earlier you dont need a board with two pci-e cards as you said you arent a very big gamer so you wont be needing two gfx cards. Also why is sound such a big thing to you? remember alot of sounds id rowned out once you have all the panels on the case. And the small fan on the mb really wont make much noise at all so why are you scared of it??!!

Reaction score
chelseafc2005 said:
. And the small fan on the mb really wont make much noise at all so why are you scared of it??!!

even my fridge is louder than my current main pc

i just hate a pc thats loud because this new system will be turned on maybe 364 days and nites
and thats not a joke either!

maybe i turn it off 2 or 3 hours once in a while! so noise is a no no no

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
RAID 0 is easy to set up, yes, all you do is enter RAID Bios on motherboard and assign drives to a RAID 0 setup.

Then you make a floppy disk from the RAID drivers on the motherboard CD and use that as you're installing XP.

But, a 250Gb hard disk is cheaper than two x 160Gb's and you already have a 120Gb drive so you have plenty of space with 370Gb.

All a RAID 0 setup does is give you a little extra speed but it's barely noticeable unless you use a pair of really fast hard drives, such as the WD Raptor or Seagate Cheetah.

I'm running two instances of RAID 0, btw. I wouldn't say it's something you absolutely need, it's just kinda nice to have.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
RAID 0 is easy to set up, yes, all you do is enter RAID Bios on motherboard and assign drives to a RAID 0 setup.

Then you make a floppy disk from the RAID drivers on the motherboard CD and use that as you're installing XP.

But, a 250Gb hard disk is cheaper than two x 160Gb's and you already have a 120Gb drive so you have plenty of space with 370Gb.

All a RAID 0 setup does is give you a little extra speed but it's barely noticeable unless you use a pair of really fast hard drives, such as the WD Raptor or Seagate Cheetah.

I'm running two instances of RAID 0, btw. I wouldn't say it's something you absolutely need, it's just kinda nice to have.

thanks so like with Raid 0 if i got two 250gb they would come up as one harrdive in windows? (500gb)

sounds a little complicated
370gb is just not enough

right now my media is around 215gb so im going to need just one harrdrive dedicated to the media like i got my 320gb right now!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
thanks so like with Raid 0 if i got two 250gb they would come up as one harrdive in windows? (500gb)

sounds a little complicated
370gb is just not enough

right now my media is around 215gb so im going to need just one harrdrive dedicated to the media like i got my 320gb right now!

Yes, you'd have a single 500Gb disk as seen by Windows.

So go for it, plenty of help available here, but you will have to do a fresh format of the RAID 0 setup and install a fresh version of XP so you ought to consider backing up or transferring all your saved data.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Yes, you'd have a single 500Gb disk as seen by Windows.

So go for it, plenty of help available here, but you will have to do a fresh format of the RAID 0 setup and install a fresh version of XP so you ought to consider backing up or transferring all your saved data.

thats not a problem

at the moment im not really seeing many benefits for raid 0 for me.

ive already considered the implications for backing up my data this is why i want two new silent sata harddrives!

thanks

p.s please see my other post in support section i think its serious and u others will see why.

Reaction score
If you are not going to get 2 identical graphics cards for your system, don't waste the money on an SLI board.

You wont hear a small m/b fan over the sound of your CPU, PSU and Case fans mate!

You are paying extra for what you will not use. if you spend the extra money on other things you will overall have a faster system - ie get the mobo i suggested and the CPU someone else suggested i cant remember who it was but its the 3700+

That will be miles faster than your motherboard and a 3200+

And dont worry about the Standard s939 fans - they are realllly quiet. you are guaranteed not to have any heat problems either.

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
If you are not going to get 2 identical graphics cards for your system, don't waste the money on an SLI board.

You wont hear a small m/b fan over the sound of your CPU, PSU and Case fans mate!

You are paying extra for what you will not use. if you spend the extra money on other things you will overall have a faster system - ie get the mobo i suggested and the CPU someone else suggested i cant remember who it was but its the 3700+

That will be miles faster than your motherboard and a 3200+

And dont worry about the Standard s939 fans - they are realllly quiet. you are guaranteed not to have any heat problems either.

thanks i am getting conviced by u for sure!

i could save 70-80 quid and use that on a faster cpu!

Ask a Question