Problem with IE 6.0 History

Hello all! My issue is this: for some reason, several months ago, my IE
suddenly stopped displaying any history files, regardless of the manner in
which those files are sorted. It no longer tracks any kind of history in the
actual history folder; it saves addresses in the address bar, and I have it
set to keep things in history for 21 days. I've no idea what could've caused
a problem like this, as I don't know of anything I did on the day this
started that could've caused such an issue. Can anyone here help me? I've
tried to run a history eraser, and I don't have any ActiveX blocking on this
computer.

Sandi - Microsoft MVP

It sounds like the history folder itself is corrupt. Create a new one as
per the instructions at the URL below:
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/answers_8.htm#deltree

Sandi's Site has changed - for instructions on how to
find old URLs, go here:
http://msmvps.com/spywaresucks/archive/2005/05/14/46971.aspx

Hyperlinks used to ensure advice is current
Sandi - Microsoft MVP since 1999
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org

Visit the Internet Explorer Community
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/default.mspx

This didn't fix the issue; it won't let me delete the folder, as it say that
the folder is necessary for Windows to run properly. I tried running the
computer in Safe Mode, but that didn't help any, either; I couldn't delete
the history folder from the Administrator or the Owner IDs. If you could
offer any other assistance with this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sandi - Microsoft MVP

Phillip,

If you are logged on using an account with full administrative permissions,
and that account is different to the affected one, then you should be able
to at least delete the folder contents in their entirety. That should get
things sorted.

Sandi's Site has changed - for instructions on how to
find old URLs, go here:
http://msmvps.com/spywaresucks/archive/2005/05/14/46971.aspx

Hyperlinks used to ensure advice is current
Sandi - Microsoft MVP since 1999
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org

Visit the Internet Explorer Community
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/default.mspx

I have deleted the entirety of the folder contents on more than one occasion,
but it doesn't seem to help at all. I'll try doing it again running in Safe
Mode or something, but as of yet deleting the folder contents has yet to
clear up the problem.

Don Varnau

Hi Phillip,
Sandi is recommending that you delete the History FOLDER for that user
account.

You're running Windows XP, right?

Login as another user with administrator privileges, or from the machine's
default administrator account (from safe mode) and delete the affected
History folder from Windows Explorer.

To startup in Safe Mode...
1. Restart the computer and immediately start hitting the F8 key about once
per second, to make sure that you hit it at the right time. If it doesn't
work the first time, try again. The timing can be tricky.
2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode.
3. Select Windows XP Operating System.
4. Login as Administrator- enter the password if necessary. There may not be
a password required.

Go to Control Panel> Folder Options> View> Check "Show hidden files and
folders"

The History folder will be at C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local
Settings\History (The Local Settings folder is hidden by default.) You would
not be able to delete this History folder when logged in as yourself- it's
"In use." You should be able to delete it from the Administrator account.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]