Pricelessware - some suggestions (ping Susan)

Petersen, Vegard Krog

Just three small things I miss:
- The definition of Pricelessware on the front page
- The definition of freeware on the front page
- A pricelessware *icon*

Susan / others?

kind regards from vegard

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Susan Bugher

Just three small things I miss:
- The definition of Pricelessware on the front page
HUH?

- The definition of freeware on the front page

Hmmm. . . Good idea but where to put it. . . a little experiment - I've revised the header on
all the ACF pages instead - comments please. see:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/WareGlossary.php
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/Members.php
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/Webware.php

stc. etc. etc.
- A pricelessware *icon*

ISTM the special font that's used for "Pricelessware" is our "icon". . .

my 2 cents. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

mike ring

.

my 2 cents. :)
I thought *you* were the Pricelessware Icon

;-)

mike

Vegard Krog Petersen

Susan said:

Can we please forget I said that? Raad-in-face-vegard :)
Hmmm. . . Good idea but where to put it. . . a little experiment -
I've revised the header on all the ACF pages instead - comments please.
see:

That's nice (well thought of!) but I would still like it 'right in my
face' when I come to the pricelessware site. But that is just my opinion
/ wish, perhaps.
ISTM the special font that's used for "Pricelessware" is our "icon". . .
my 2 cents. :)

I was thinking for when we link to your site and do not have room for
the buttons or banners. A 40x40 icon would be nice. Anybody creative
souls out there? (oops, here we go again :) )

regards from vegard krog petersen, norway
http://vegard2.no

Susan Bugher

Vegard said:
That's nice (well thought of!)

Your idea (slightly modified) - I agree it's well thought of. ;)

but I would still like it 'right in my
face' when I come to the pricelessware site. But that is just my opinion
/ wish, perhaps.

I was having trouble figuring out a good location on the page - I think I've found one.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/
I was thinking for when we link to your site and do not have room for
the buttons or banners. A 40x40 icon would be nice. Anybody creative
souls out there? (oops, here we go again :) )

I dunno about 40 by 40. Pricelessware is a *long* word. An 80 by 15 gif is here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/LinkButtons/pricelesswarebutton.gif

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Cousin Stanley

| I've revised the header on all the ACF pages instead

Cousin Susan ....

While you're experimenting with new looks,
maybe a bit more contrast between the
background & foreground colors on the
Pricelessware header might make it
stand out a bit better ....

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005.gif

Maybe try the word Pricelessware just a bit lighter
and the background just a bit darker ....

The site is looking better all the time ....

Thanks for your efforts ....

Susan Bugher

Cousin said:
Cousin Susan ....

While you're experimenting with new looks,
maybe a bit more contrast between the
background & foreground colors on the
Pricelessware header might make it
stand out a bit better ....

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005.gif

Maybe try the word Pricelessware just a bit lighter
and the background just a bit darker ....

Gifs are Burnr's department - not mine.

IIRC last year Burnr's ISP completely disappeared just as he finished the "new look" for PL2005.
PL2006 is coming soon. . . I hope he's feeling brave. . . they do say that lightning never strikes
twice in the same place. . . ;)
The site is looking better all the time ....

Thanks for your efforts ....

Thank you. All compliments gratefully received on behalf of the PWH staff. . . :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

REM

Cousin Stanley <[email protected]> wrote:

Cousin Stanley,

Can you write a server side script that can detect the amount of
bandwidth used in a month, the amount of bandwidth remaining, and
rename a couple of files that are up for download (PL image files) at
a certain point so that the site does not run out of bandwidth?

I've been waiting to catch you for a couple of weeks now.

We upgraded from 75 gigs per month to 300 gigs and we would like to
place the image files on for download. One mention by Langa would
usurp 300 gigs overnight :)

I'm out of my element here. I can track down log files to retrieve the
bandwidth information from and whatever else that you might need to
know.

Thanks very much for any consideration!

Petersen, Vegard Krog

Susan Bugher skrev:
Your idea (slightly modified) - I agree it's well thought of. ;)
but I would still like it 'right in my
I was having trouble figuring out a good location on the page - I think
I've found one.
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/

Looking mighty good, Susan :). A suggestion: try the same light blue
background on the 'freeware text' also (let's see how it looks.)
I dunno about 40 by 40. Pricelessware is a *long* word. An 80 by 15 gif
is here:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/LinkButtons/pricelesswarebutton.gif
Susan

That's still a button/banner, not an icon. I made a suggestion (quick
and dirty) here:

http://users.pandora.be/erlandvo/pricelessware_dirty1_icon.gif
http://users.pandora.be/erlandvo/pricelessware_dirty2_icon.gif

Please improve someone :)

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Petersen, Vegard Krog

Hi, Susan. The link to the Freeware logo site on the front page still
points to the old site! Please use: freewarelogo.vegard2.no

regards from vegard

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Susan Bugher

Susan Bugher skrev:
Looking mighty good, Susan :). A suggestion: try the same light blue
background on the 'freeware text' also (let's see how it looks.)

Druther not (many other things to do ATM as we head into the PL2006 selection process).
That's still a button/banner, not an icon. I made a suggestion (quick
and dirty) here:

http://users.pandora.be/erlandvo/pricelessware_dirty1_icon.gif
http://users.pandora.be/erlandvo/pricelessware_dirty2_icon.gif

Please improve someone :)

I suggest we wait a bit on this. Burnr does the color schemes, graphics etc. etc. for the web site -
I imagine he'll be working on PL2006 before too long - ISTM new buttons/logos etc. should have the
PL2006 look - PL2005 will be a back number in a few months. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Cousin Stanley

Cousin Stanley,

Can you write a server side script that can detect the amount of
bandwidth used in a month, the amount of bandwidth remaining, and
rename a couple of files that are up for download (PL image files) at
a certain point so that the site does not run out of bandwidth?

I've been waiting to catch you for a couple of weeks now.

We upgraded from 75 gigs per month to 300 gigs and we would like to
place the image files on for download. One mention by Langa would
usurp 300 gigs overnight :)

I'm out of my element here. I can track down log files to retrieve the
bandwidth information from and whatever else that you might need to
know.

Thanks very much for any consideration!

Cousin REM ....

What type of server-side scripting support
is available for the hosting service
that you use ?

Post a url for the hosting service
and I'll look to see if I can determine
what they have and whether or not
I might be able to deal with it ....

Do you have direct access to the server-side scripting
or do you have to petition the hosting service
to approve and install any scripts that you submit ?

If you have access to the log files that you want
to examine and they are fairly consistent in format,
then a bit of file analysis and parsing might not
be too much trouble to deal with ....

If you don't have direct access to server-side scripting
then if you only need to rename/delete a few files,
perhaps a client-side script using ftp might work ....

Is the idea to rename or remove files on the host
so that it appears to the user that they simply
aren't there for a while ?

REM

Cousin REM ....
What type of server-side scripting support
is available for the hosting service
that you use ?

Well, I know that it supports php, PERL and python.

Here is a script FAQ page:

http://support.globat.com/faqs.php?action=sub1&c=4

Do you have direct access to the server-side scripting
or do you have to petition the hosting service
to approve and install any scripts that you submit ?

I'm not sure... I've never really attempted scripting on a web host.
If you have access to the log files that you want
to examine and they are fairly consistent in format,
then a bit of file analysis and parsing might not
be too much trouble to deal with ....

I'll try to dig one up.
If you don't have direct access to server-side scripting
then if you only need to rename/delete a few files,
perhaps a client-side script using ftp might work ....

That sounds a bit easier!
Is the idea to rename or remove files on the host
so that it appears to the user that they simply
aren't there for a while ?

Yes, gravy wound be poping up an html page stating that bandwidth is
in short supply and that the files will not be available until the
first of the next month.

Susan was checking to see if we could do this with the control panel
somehow, but tech support breezed over without an answer.

This is the main PL site btw.

I might do the same on my personal site to utilize the unused
bandwidth.

Both sites will require some script that will safeguard enough
bandwidth so that the sites can continue to serve up the normal files
and pages.

I suppose the script should run anytime someone attempts to download
any of the PL image files. Something like that anyway...

Cousin Stanley

|| What type of server-side scripting support
|| is available for the hosting service
|| that you use ?

| Well, I know that it supports php, PERL and python.
|
| Here is a script FAQ page
| http://support.globat.com/faqs.php?action=sub1&c=4

Cousin REM ....

I'll take a look at the host ....

Having the 3 p's available would definitely be a good start
if you have access them ....

|| If you have access to the log files

| I'll try to dig one up.

You can mail one of the log files