Pricelessware Problem Programs

Susan Bugher

AI RoboForm
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003DESKTOP.htm#A116

Download v 5.0.8 (earlier unlimited version)
That link now leads to a later version. Does anyone have a good link to
version 5.0.8? If not, should the program be removed?

Google Toolbar
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003INTERNET.htm#G110

Now at Version 2.0.102 with no provision that I can see to obtain the
earlier version. I have seen some articles that criticized version 2
when it first came out - I believe it did/does? include an auto-update
feature. Should this program remain on the PL?

Kerio Personal Firewall
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003SECURITY.htm#K106

This info was posted in ACF. <quote> Kerio Personal Firewall 4.0.2 has
been released. You can download it at
http://www.kerio.com/dwn/kpf4-en-win.exe
</quote>

AFAIK this version is not listed on the site - should I show this link
or stay with the official one? I believe the versions are quite
different.

Mailwasher
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003INTERNET.htm#M105

Last freeware version to support multiple accounts was 1.33
Does anyone have a download link for that version? If not, should the
program be removed?

PopCorn
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003INTERNET.htm#P127

v 1.48 is the last unlimited version
Does anyone have a download link for that version? If not, should the
program be removed?

Susan

Joe

Mailwasher
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003INTERNET.htm#M105

Last freeware version to support multiple accounts was 1.33
Does anyone have a download link for that version? If not, should the
program be removed?

http://www.kgtu.runnet.ru/WD/Advices/MailWasher.htm
Direct link: http://www.kgtu.runnet.ru/WD/Advices/mailwasher133.exe

http://absey-vine.co.uk/software/ (On that page, look for the mailwasher
1.33 download link)
Direct link: http://absey-vine.co.uk/software/mailwasher133.exe

Both sites have the exact same file which I downloaded from both sites,
successfully compared and verified for absence of viruses with eTrust.

HTH

Joe

Helen

Susan Bugher said:
[...]

Popcorn v 1.48 here at the bottom of the page; newer version is at the
top.
http://www.ultrafunk.com/products/popcorn/changelog.shtml

Bjorn Simonsen

Susan Bugher wrote in said:
PopCorn
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003INTERNET.htm#P127

v 1.48 is the last unlimited version
Does anyone have a download link for that version?

v.1.48 (according to readme, not installed and tested)
<ftp://ftp4.atfile.com/download/Popcorn/1.48/popsetup.exe>

But for how long this URL will last - I don't know.
If not, should the program be removed?

Not as long at is still available (somewhere) and there is nothing in
the license/docs for the version in question that prohibits
distribution.

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Joe

Susan Bugher said:
PopCorn
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003INTERNET.htm#P127

v 1.48 is the last unlimited version
Does anyone have a download link for that version? If not, should the
program be removed?

Not v1.48 but, FWIW, these are the best I could find:

Version 1.45 is here:
ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/.disk0/filepilot/windows/email/popsetup.exe
Version 1.47 is here: http://www.schaft.com/ftp/Win95/popcorn.zip

Both files were scanned with eTrust and came up clean.

HTH

Joe

BoB

SNIP
Kerio Personal Firewall
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003SECURITY.htm#K106

This info was posted in ACF. <quote> Kerio Personal Firewall 4.0.2 has
been released. You can download it at
http://www.kerio.com/dwn/kpf4-en-win.exe
</quote>

AFAIK this version is not listed on the site - should I show this link
or stay with the official one? I believe the versions are quite
different.

There is a thread in alt.comp.firewalls which indicates that 4.02 is
not free - several functions, including ICS are not available after 30
days.

Aaron gave an excellent review of V4 here:

From (e-mail address removed) Sat Aug 30 13:02:12 2003
Subject: Re: Kerio 4.0.2 short review.
Date: 31 Aug 2003 01:02:12 +0800
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
__________________________________

From reviewing other comments on v4, early versions caused
problems for some, it is a much larger program and after 30
days some features are no longer available.

There are so many definitions of freeware floating around
lately, it's anybody's guess if this is Priceless.

BoB

Susan Bugher

Many thanks for the help. I just uploaded revised pages - some comments
are interspersed below.

Susan said:
AI RoboForm
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003DESKTOP.htm#A116

Download v 5.0.8 (earlier unlimited version)
That link now leads to a later version. Does anyone have a good link to
version 5.0.8? If not, should the program be removed?

Still hoping someone will furnish a link to v 5.0.8. (The link that
changed to a later version has been removed.)

Google Toolbar
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003INTERNET.htm#G110

Now at Version 2.0.102 with no provision that I can see to obtain the
earlier version. I have seen some articles that criticized version 2
when it first came out - I believe it did/does? include an auto-update
feature. Should this program remain on the PL?

I would *really* like some input on this from Google Toolbar Users.
What, if any, concerns are there about the new version?

Kerio Personal Firewall
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003SECURITY.htm#K106

This info was posted in ACF. <quote> Kerio Personal Firewall 4.0.2 has
been released. You can download it at
http://www.kerio.com/dwn/kpf4-en-win.exe
</quote>

AFAIK this version is not listed on the site - should I show this link
or stay with the official one? I believe the versions are quite
different.

I kept the *official* version.
Mailwasher
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003INTERNET.htm#M105

Last freeware version to support multiple accounts was 1.33
Does anyone have a download link for that version? If not, should the
program be removed?

Description now says liteware. The download link is for v 1.33.
PopCorn
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003INTERNET.htm#P127

v 1.48 is the last unlimited version
Does anyone have a download link for that version? If not, should the
program be removed?

Description now says liteware. The download link is for v 1.48.

http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/about2003PL.htm

says that when programs do not completely conform to the ACF definition
of freeware, the exceptions are noted.

I have added information about the time limitation to the 40tude dialog
description.

http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003INTERNET.htm#106

Susan

Malu'

Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:27:38 -0400
Susan Bugher ha scritto:
I would *really* like some input on this from Google Toolbar Users.
What, if any, concerns are there about the new version?

Hi Susan,
I had installed the Google Toolbar 2, then I noticed that sometimes, using
the search function, it crashed IE.
In addition, Ad-aware pointed out to me 4 data miner cookies of low risk:
advertising, bfast, servedby.advertising, tribalfusion.
In the end, I uninstalled it.
I don't know if it includes an auto-update feature.
Sorry not to be of greater help.

Susan Bugher

Malu' said:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:27:38 -0400
Susan Bugher ha scritto:

Hi Susan,
I had installed the Google Toolbar 2, then I noticed that sometimes, using
the search function, it crashed IE.
In addition, Ad-aware pointed out to me 4 data miner cookies of low risk:
advertising, bfast, servedby.advertising, tribalfusion.
In the end, I uninstalled it.
I don't know if it includes an auto-update feature.
Sorry not to be of greater help.

Thanks Maria Luisa,

I hope others will comment too. Is Google spyware now?

We've had that discussion before (more than once) and concluded that
version 1 was not. The user decided if they wanted to send information
to Google and Google gave ample notification of what would be collected
and sent.

Has that changed with the version 2?

Susan

Susan Bugher

Bjorn said:

Hi Bjorn,

Thank you - I read that page and then read the full article at:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/googleupdater/

and read at the Google Toolbar privacy policy:

http://toolbar.google.com/privacy.html

and Google's full privacy policy:

http://www.google.com/privacy.html

It appears that the single thing that has changed with the introduction
of version 2 is the addition of the automatic update function, which
cannot be disabled.

Absent further discussion, I will revise the PL description for the
Google Toolbar to version 2 and add a note about the automatic updater.

FWIW - this strikes me as somewhat similar to the 40tude Dialog issue.
In both cases you cannot continue to use the software you download
indefinitely.

Susan

Bjorn Simonsen

Susan Bugher wrote in said:
Absent further discussion, I will revise the PL description for the
Google Toolbar to version 2 and add a note about the automatic updater.

Good choice - IMHO.

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

peter online

Susan said:
[...] > Mailwasher
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003INTERNET.htm#M105

Last freeware version to support multiple accounts was 1.33
Does anyone have a download link for that version? If not, should the
program be removed?

Yes, I found this link and it worked today, the site is:
http://www.kgtu.runnet.ru/WD/Advices/MailWasher.htm
there:
http://www.kgtu.runnet.ru/WD/Advices/mailwasher133.exe
and also 2.08 beta:
http://www.kgtu.runnet.ru/WD/Advices/mailwasher2b.exe

Susan Bugher

peter said:
Susan Bugher wrote:

[...] > Mailwasher
http://www.pricelessware.org/2003/PL2003INTERNET.htm#M105

Last freeware version to support multiple accounts was 1.33
Does anyone have a download link for that version? If not, should the
program be removed?

Yes, I found this link and it worked today, the site is:
http://www.kgtu.runnet.ru/WD/Advices/MailWasher.htm
there:
http://www.kgtu.runnet.ru/WD/Advices/mailwasher133.exe
and also 2.08 beta:
http://www.kgtu.runnet.ru/WD/Advices/mailwasher2b.exe

Thanks Peter. :)

Susan

Aaron

Hi Bjorn,

Thank you - I read that page and then read the full article at:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/googleupdater/

and read at the Google Toolbar privacy policy:

http://toolbar.google.com/privacy.html

and Google's full privacy policy:

http://www.google.com/privacy.html

It appears that the single thing that has changed with the introduction
of version 2 is the addition of the automatic update function, which
cannot be disabled.

Absent further discussion, I will revise the PL description for the
Google Toolbar to version 2 and add a note about the automatic updater.

FWIW - this strikes me as somewhat similar to the 40tude Dialog issue.
In both cases you cannot continue to use the software you download
indefinitely.

How so? Are you referring to autoupdates in which case, you cannot stick
with an old version of google toolbar?

Other than that it looks like a different case compared to Dialog, where
there is an intention to go commerical, and the features of the freeware
version are unknown.

Aaron (my email is not mungled!)

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Other than that it looks like a different case compared to Dialog,
where there is an intention to go commerical, and the features of
the freeware version are unknown.

Marcus has said he has no plans for a commercial version of Dialog and
that the release version will have all the features of the previous
betas.

Aaron

Marcus has said he has no plans for a commercial version of Dialog and
that the release version will have all the features of the previous
betas.

Really? not even a shareware version? Well then that's make all this
debate about Dialog a little strange I think.

Aaron (my email is not mungled!)